The welterweight belt is the only one to have never been hold by a Brazilian

Renato Verissimo de Oliveira

Also fought for the belt against Hughes … I think

Miletich fought 2 Brazilians for the ufc belt he had lost in between in other orgs though, perrieas and patino (had to look up those)

Who could do it next …. I think I few people if they moved up or down

Caio , Oliveria , moicano

Last edited:
So who got the closest (I will try off memory doing no research)

Thiago Alves tried against GSP
Gilbert burns against usman
Mia fought a few times in a number 1 contenders bout and lost
Dos anjos fought in a number 1 contender bout and lost
Royce garcia got pummeled by Hughes (I think for the title but could of been in between the BJ fights )
I don't remember the odds for GSP/Alves, but ALOT of people picked Alves to dethrone GSP. Me included. Crazy good striker who actually displayed great TDD vs wrestlers before getting the titleshot. I was so sure that GSP was in trouble.

Then he just dominated Alves. That was crazy.

So who got the closest (I will try off memory doing no research)

Thiago Alves tried against GSP
Gilbert burns against usman
Mia fought a few times in a number 1 contenders bout and lost
Dos anjos fought in a number 1 contender bout and lost
Royce garcia got pummeled by Hughes (I think for the title but could of been in between the BJ fights )

Maia actually fought Woodley for the belt, but I don’t blame anyone for forgetting it. (And Maia is my all-time favorite fighter).

The main WW right now are belal, jdm, garry, shavkat and mvp. And all these guys are waiting for a title shot after connor/chandler and islam is in the mix as well.

So if we get a brazilian it will be in the next generation and he likely isn't fighting right now.

so the only possible name is do bronx if he moves up for a title shot

The only ranked brazillian WW not signed by the UFC is Carlos Leal Miranda, so probably not for a while until some beastly kids shows up in their regionals + a few years.

Kind of crazy that there have been more HW and FLW champions than WW champions. The average brazilian is more like a WW than HW/FLW.

Renato Verissimo de Oliveira

Also fought for the belt against Hughes … I think

Miletich fought 2 Brazilians for the ufc belt he had lost in between in other orgs though, perrieas and patino (had to look up those)

Who could do it next …. I think I few people if they moved up or down

Caio , Oliveria , moicano
Verissimo beat Hughes, but it wasn't a title fight.

Kind of crazy that there have been more HW and FLW champions than WW champions. The average brazilian is more like a WW than HW/FLW.
All of the normal sized dudes in Brazil get into soccer. The athletes who are too small or too slow become Flyweight or Heavyweight fighters.

I don't think there is a good 170 prospect from Brazil now, Burns was the closest I guess.

Demian had his time, but always fell short at the top end of the competition

When was the last time a Brazilian even challenged for that belt, UFC 100?

Burns came the closest, hurting Usman multiple times.

Only 6 Brazilians currently on the WW roster, 7 if u include Warley who has been at 185 recently. Not a lot of hope for Brazil to get that belt anytime soon.

Burns came the closest, hurting Usman multiple times.

Only 6 Brazilians currently on the WW roster, 7 if u include Warley who has been at 185 recently. Not a lot of hope for Brazil to get that belt anytime soon.

Pele Landi beat UFC WW champion at the time Pat Miletich by stoppage

Last edited:
Back