The year 2022 will be the greatest year in combat sports history

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
In the year 2021, we had pretty amazing year of combat sports in general. If you are a fan of more traditional martial arts, we had very interesting year in wrestling where we saw Sadulaev beating Snyder for gold, Taylor finally winning the gold, Buroughs being taken out by Kyle, Gable winning gold in a last second, and so on. We saw Karate in olympics for the first time, and if you like Judo, we saw Ono cementing his legacy as probably the best Judoka of his time.

For professional combat sports, we had pretty amazing fights and upsets in 2021 all the way from january to december. Though I don't follow boxing as much, they had some great fights like Teofimo vs Kambosos which I think is the best fight of the year, Fury vs Wilder 3, some freak shows like Paul vs Woodley 2(lmfao), the final fight of Pacquiao, upset of Joshua by Usyk, return of Loma and Donaire, and so on. We also can't forget Anderson's impressive display against Chavez jr. I mean, fuck yeah! In kickboxing, we had probably the greatest ko of the year in Superbon vs Petro too.

giphy.gif

thasertr.gif

5dd9a1cd3f00ea7c8fc4b7e8c8bbb1c69090b134.gifv

In MMA, it was a hell of a year. Even outside UFC, We saw PFL's attempt at signing washed up UFC stars go awry unfortunately, though their million dollar tournaments were pretty intriguing, in spite of the fact that they are feeding Kayla Harrison human corpses to the tourney wins. In Bellator, we saw Amosov dominating Lima who probably got exposed, Nemkov showing what he's made of, Pico turning on safe mode on easier competition, Mckee on the door step of super- stardom outside UFC, Fedor turning back the clock, and Pettis capping it all off with a slick ko over dominant Horiguchi.

efefdcxrtd.gif

In UFC, it's probably hard to sum things up in a paragraph or so. But, we had Ngannou avenging his loss to Stipe, Jiri hell-bowing Reyes to another dimension, Usman sending Masbumdal to a shadow realm, Gaehtje and Chandler just bleed, Volkovsti showing arguably escaping one of the tighetest looking guillotine of all time in a great fight, oscar-winning performance by Sterling, Moreno submitting Fig. But there were so many great fights this year other than these.

ImmaculateShamefulKinkajou-size_restricted.gif

ezgif-com-gif-maker-5.gif

kamara-usman-jorge-masvidal.gif

SpitefulZigzagDiscus-size_restricted.gif

Aljo.gif

UnpleasantMeaslyEgg-size_restricted.gif

ChiefCrazyArabianwildcat-size_restricted.gif

For WMMA, we saw Rose beating Zhang twice, Shev continuing to dominate, and Nunes putting on undoubtedly the worst display from a champion in UFC history by quitting when she faced an opponent who could take her shot and punch back.

CapitalLastLarva-size_restricted.gif

LeadingFreshBernesemountaindog-size_restricted.gif

-----

But I think the year 2022 will be better than this year and I think it will be the greatest year in combat sports history.

In kickboxing, they have already scheduled a rare fight between top two pound for pound fighters, Takeru vs Tenshin, in their primes. That is a very rare occurence, and I think the only time that ever happened in MMA might be GSP vs Penn 2, though it was a one sided beat down.

SleepyHilariousIcefish-size_restricted.gif

ThisMindlessHamster-size_restricted.gif

In boxing, they are very well situated, they have Usyk vs Joshua, with potential Fury vs Joshua/Usyk for unifcation. With Crawford being a free agent, we could very well see Spence vs Crawford, the best fight in boxing that could be made, probably, right now. Canelo is moving up to cruiseweight, and we have a lot of promising fighters coming up the ranks as well.

AcceptableSpotlessKookaburra-size_restricted.gif

terencecrawford-boxing.gif

In MMA, we have Gane vs Ngannou in the first month of the year, which is probably the best heavyweight fight in a long time. I think it's at worst top 5 all time.

giphy.gif

I know some are pointing to Gane not having a lot of fights, but Cane was also 9-0 when he was fighting JDS on that first main card, and there were many people who was talking him up already. I mean, Cain was 11-1 after JDS rematch win, then he would have rematches against Big foot and JDS, then he lost to Werdum, but many, many crowned Cain as the best heavyweight in the world regardless of number of fights he had, though Fedor is obviously the GOAT. A number of fights doesn't always show how good a fighter is. Cormier was 9-0 going into Strikeforce GP final too.

jones-heavyweight-696x392.jpg.optimal.jpg

Also, we may see the return of Jon Jones, and we will see the return of Stipe for heavyweight. I personally think Jones got shook by Ngannou, and probably praying that Ngannou beats Gane, which won't be easy.

LHW isn't as deep as it used to be, but we have a lot of promising young fighers coming up, like Jiri, Rakic, Anakaleev, Hill, and Bellator LHW GP will conclude next year, and if Nemkov wins, and he said he'd like to come over to the UFC, perhaps we'd see the best LHW outside UFC come over too, and that would certainly help, since LHW can indeed use some more talents.

BossyComfortableDoctorfish-size_restricted.gif

MW was the weakest division of all time during Anderson's heyday, and it's probably the weakest division alongside FLW and WMMA divisions right now, I mean it's probably weaker than WMMA strawweight division, but we have some interesting up and comers like Imavov, Muniz, Perreira, Du Plesis and Silva.

ActiveHospitableDarklingbeetle-size_restricted.gif

For WW, we have Khamzat, it's really Khamzat world that we are living in right now, but we have interesting welterweights too like Brady, Shavkat, Belal and guys like Burns, Leon and Covington and Luque who's been in top 10 longer who are pretty talented as well. If you bring over Amosov from Bellator, then that WW division in my opinion is as strong as any field of competition in MMA history.

Usman, covington, Leon, Burns, Luque, Amosov(B), Khamzat, Brady, Belal, Shavkat. WW has a pretty interesting mix of vets and prospects, it's fucking awesome. A journeyman like Masbumdal's fame after catching a lightening in a bottle is also coming to an end as well. Seems like he's really trying to pick and choose his fights rn, he's probably aware of his level.

AdoredSeveralCanine-size_restricted.gif

My Sean "Khamzat Slayer" Brady bandwaggon if you'd like to join: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/sean-khamzat-slayer-brady-bandwaggon-hop-in.4215131/

LW is probably the most exciting division right now in ALL of MMA. Oliveira showed what he's made of, that he's got that grit too to go along with his talents. Dariush vs Islam is probably the one of the best fights that UFC can put on. We have some exciting prospects like Gamrot, Gilepsie, Alvarez, Fiziev, Arman, Grant, and Poirier and Gaethje may have limited ground game, but they can bang it out with anyone and would pose a stiff challenge for anybody. Chander, Tony, and RDA is probably getting ready for their last stands too.

200.gif

FW, I personally find Volk pretty boring, good, efficient, but very effectively boring, I'm not saying he's bad, he's good, but yeah, not a fan. I fear if Max-Volkv 3 happens, he would 48-47 Max....but we do have some GREAT prospects in FW coming up, Bryce Mitchell, Evloev, Topuria, Allen and etc. I feel it is a bit early for Evloev vs Topuria, but UFC gonna UFC. I got Evloev tho. In my opinion, the best FW prospect in the UFC. Max is obviously a hell of a fighter, and Yair, Ortega, Giga, Emmett, KZ, Kattar are also pretty talented fighters who are going to try to stay or go up the rankings. My personal opinion is that, one of the best FWs right now is in Bellator, AJ Mckee. And we can't sleep on Pico either, probably the best pure wrestler, not MMA wrestler, in MMA right now. If his chin isn't cracked for good, nor his mind and confidence, who knows. I lean towards Bellator rushing Pico ruined him, but I've been wrong before.

NastyFelineAruanas-size_restricted.gif

For BW, Yan is looking pretty good. We got Dillsnake hanging around slithering around, Goat-Aldo is still looking strong, Cruz is still going strong, UFC is feeding O'Malley like he's their long lost son but I'm not too high on him but if you like freakshow like that that's a thing, Merab is looking strong as ever, and we have a super prospect like Jack Shore on the upswing, and Valiev, Umar, Barcelos, Yanez are pretty decent prospects, with Stots in Bellator looking like a dark horse. Sandhagen and Sterling are also pretty good too, Vera is looking decent, but the guy sounds like a d-bag so not a big fan I guess.. Also, Bellator is hosting a BW GP that's looking pretty sick too, they actually have a pretty strong BW weight class with guys like Guchi, Pettis, and etc. If you ask me, BW right now might be the strongest it's ever been, with legends mixed in with veterans and great prospects and decent prospects all together. Great to be a BW fan right now.

MCoE.gif

For FLW, MM got ktfo in 2021 and I doubt he will have easy time coming back to relevance in OneFc. However, Moreno and Fig is throwing it down early 2022, and we have guys like Askarov who's probably next in line, and someone like Kape, I know it hasn't been a smooth road for him, but maybe he will turn it around. FLW isn't necessarily deep nor brimming with great prospects, probably the weakest division, outside female FW division if you can call that a weight class, but it does have great fighters like Moreno, Fig, Askarov. Super shallow I guess, but it is what it is I suppose.

giphy.gif

For WMMA strawweight, if you ask me, this weight class is fucking legit. I'm by no means WMMA defender or anything, but this weight class deserves a lot of love and respect in my opinion. Obviously we have Rose, Zhang, golum at top though she might be gone somewhere looking for Frodo I don't know, Esparza has a beautiful MMA wrestling, Ribas and Dern has beautiful BJJ and willing to throw down though they do have their flaws, Marina know how to throw them hands, we have great prospects like Lemos, Pinheiro, Godinez, and tough veterans like Hill, Torres and Waterson.

Personally would like to see Buys vs Lemos, Pinheiro and Godinez in this order.

DpSHYhA.gif

For WMMA flyweight, it's looking pretty spicy as well, it's looking really good. Shev is obviously at the top of the food chain, I don't think present top 10 will dethrone her, but we have real good list of prospects coming up too. Erin Blanchfield looking amazing, so did Casey O'Neil. Then you have Fiorot. Now, these three, Fiorot, O'Neail and Blanchfield, they have incredible potential I think. Personally would like to see Buys vs Fiorot, Blanchfield, and O'Neail in this order. Now Gato looked phenomenal as well, and there's gansta in Mariya Agapova too. They have some super interesting prospects coming up, and obviously we do have veterans like Grasso, Santos who might be able to challenge Shev down the road. Why is Jessica Eye still in the UFC that I don't know.

DHk4W4r

For WMMA BW, Nunes quit in her last fight, and Pena in my opinion isn't all that great, but all the credit to her in the universe, so I'm not sure what's going to happen to this weight class. Pretty weak weight class, incomparably weak compared to both weight classes below it, not a whole lot of positive from it, especially so called Goat champ quitting like that, but Karol Rosa is someone to look out for, she's pretty good, and Aldana is pretty good, she's got neat sharp boxing with interesting power.

ff63fddf7471cacec045ac3c46ea6af5ff3c1ca0r1-483-250_hq.gif

For WMMA Featherweight, I don't know what to say really.

Anyhow, I really think 2022 will be the best year for combat sports history. We have so many great prospects coming up with strong field of top level fighters and many decent ones who can give anybody a good fight on any given day, and kickboxing/boxing also have some great fights lined up as well.

Last edited:
My god, if the kick hadn't KO'd him, that fall onto the back of his head would've, it's so nasty
Edit : great thread obviously.

He broke his jaw with it! Imagine breaking the jaw of the possible goat striker of his generation with that!

and thank you!

dcffmeo-e27d2167-3100-4beb-a2de-d95bf43a7917.gif

2021 was a weirdly good year for boxing. Hope the matches that need to get made get made next year. As for UFC, LW is going to explode with top 10 guys like Mike, Hooker, RDA, Gaethje, Dariush, Tony and Poirier getting whooped by the silent killers just outside. Looking forward to it.

2021 was a weirdly good year for boxing. Hope the matches that need to get made get made next year. As for UFC, LW is going to explode with top 10 guys like Mike, Hooker, RDA, Gaethje, Dariush, Tony and Poirier getting whooped by the silent killers just outside. Looking forward to it.

Dariush isn't going anywhere though. I'm high on Dariush. Well, higher on him than most people I think. Poirier and Justin's ground game might be something that could be exploited going forward though, same with Tony, I still can't believe Poirier did that front roll to full guard...I mean I think Tony is a legit grappler though, but I think age might not be on his side...Hooker went to FW I think...but LW....probably the most exciting division right now....great fighters, great prospects

Honestly, if Gane gets knocked out in January, I'll be utterly disappointed, and that'd not so good to start the year for me. Not many Frenchies fighting, so...
Fiorot is of course very good, athletic enough, and supposedly with an adequatly strong mind. But it's also obvious that she needs more experience, everyone saw her spamming the same punches in the gloves of her last opponent, that was a bit ugly. She can do better but I think it would be suicidal to make her fight Sheva this soon.
I'd also like to see Benoit Saint-Denis again. His début fight was an horrible mismatch and he's lucky to be alive (thanks to this awesome ref...) but still, he showed what he's made of. Hope the toll on his health was not too brutal though.

Edit : But if Gane do knock Francis out, that'd be formidable

Honestly, if Gane gets knocked out in January, I'll be utterly disappointed, and that'd not so good to start the year for me. Not many Frenchies fighting, so...
Fiorot is of course very good, athletic enough, and supposedly with an adequatly strong mind. But it's also obvious that she needs more experience, everyone saw her spamming the same punches in the gloves of her last opponent, that was a bit ugly. She can do better but I think it would be suicidal to make her fight Sheva this soon.
I'd also like to see Benoit Saint-Denis again. His début fight was an horrible mismatch and he's lucky to be alive (thanks to this awesome ref...) but still, he showed what he's made of. Hope the toll on his health was not too brutal though.

Fiorot and Gane are pretty good fighters to represent your country imo. I don't know about Benoit, I think he's tough and talented, but I don't know if he can come back from that beat down. People are people, and sometimes you take one too many punches and you know, you might not be the same. I'm not sure if he can come back from that, but hopefully.

Thing about Fiorot is that she's in a super difficult weight class, in my opinion, so we will see. If she fights Erin or Casey, I'm not sure how that would go. If I'm Fiorot's management, I'm pushing hard for top 10s because prospects might be better than a lot of top 10s over there. I would try to not match her up against Erin or Casey.

I got Gane, but it will depend on Francis. I think Francis hits harder than Gane, and Francis got an iron chin, so you know, he could get ktfo, but if he opens up, Gane could get Francis too. Pick 'em fight, where Gane is a better fighter, but Francis got that power...I got Gane by ud or tko, but we will see. All I know is Francis is no black beast.

Atleast Francis is a french citizen

Back