There are a lot more “freak injuries” than we realize

There was also:

Condit vs Woodley

Conor vs Holloway - and Conor still won

So, you number is 7 so far

View attachment 1003662
Your example works out to less than 0.1% of fights. Something like 1 in 1,050 fights. Just going by you saying "many in title fights".
Those are just off the top of my head, there are a lot more. Also, how many TITLE fights had freak injuries. People have listed several others.

UFC 261 had two back to back freak injuries:

We all remember the Weidman-Hall one, and right before that fight Jimmy Crute went down with a knee injury against Anthony Smith

This card should be named Fight for Hospitalization for all the freak injuries and brutal outcome
Newtroopsfight.jpg

- Corey Hill made broken leg a thing before Anderson Silva

- Razak Al Hasan's elbow getting bent at 270 degree angle

- Brandon Wolff developing a softball on his skull

- Yoshida getting sent to the shadow realm twice
Watt Miman

The Corey Hill leg break... man. I was in the 6th grade when I saw that happen and I almost stopped kickboxing forever lol. That one was bad.
It was bad... I'll never forget the way he tried to step back on it and it just wasn't there.... eeek

It was bad... I'll never forget the way he tried to step back on it and it just wasn't there.... eeek
I used to show that fight to my friends in middle school to see their reaction to that moment exactly. I will never forget how wild that was.

Jones vs Sonnen if the ref had seen Jon's toe.

Going back a while but I remember in Arlovski's first defense Justin Eilers (God rest his sole) blew his knee out in like the first minute or two. Pretty sure Arlovski finished him after that but it was the beginning of the end.

Oof, that was the first Arlovski fight that I watched live, and that was a massacre...

Those were dark days for the UFC HW division, 2005 and the champion is defending his belt against a dude who was coming off a KO loss to Buentello? <{chips}>

The OG freak injury for me was Shogun vs Mark Coleman 1

I was just bored and looking through fighters n records. I came across something we never point out. There are A LOT of fighters and fights ended due to what we call a freak injury. Many in title fights.

here are some title fights i remember being stopped or ended due to a freak injury.

Silva vs Cote
Aldo vs Korean zombie
Aljo vs TJ (kinda)
Silva vs weidman 2
Couture vs belfort 2
Im sure there are more

some random recent fights off the top of my head
Kattar vs allen
Fiziev vs gamrot

Anyone remember other high profile or main event fights that ended in a freak injury? Would love to see what u all can dig up
Yair vs Ortega

TJ vs Aljo shouldn't be on there. It is clear TJ showed up to that fight injured.

This ain't no shit, I told my son right before that fight came on that he had to come watch. You gonna possibly see a chicken dance I told him, and I be damn if Kevin didn't deliver.

This is extra funny to me because I'm picturing him making out with a girl and you bursting in yelling, "Son! Get over here and see a man dance like a chicken!"

Oof, that was the first Arlovski fight that I watched live, and that was a massacre...

Those were dark days for the UFC HW division, 2005 and the champion is defending his belt against a dude who was coming off a KO loss to Buentello? <{chips}>

It looks like he is trying to stop him from running away.

That was a bar arm!

I just think it's too common to be freak for me. A true freak occurrence is like when Jake Ellenberger got his foot stuck in the gap between the mat and the cage somehow.
Or Saku having his ear torn half off.

Ralph white was the first true freak accident fight that got stopped due to hematoma I believe in early pride, cuadros and bas were cracking up with the scanners reference.

Yair vs Ortega

TJ vs Aljo shouldn't be on there. It is clear TJ showed up to that fight injured.
I wouldnt count yair vs ortega as a freak accident. Yair had him in an armlock and ortega was yanking it out and hurt his arm. The submission was in.

and yeah tj vs aljo shouldnt have been on there.

Looked into this a bit and he was a late replacement. Arlovski was originally slated to fight Ricco Rodriquez.
The really odd part of it was they used Eliers as a replacement but Buentello fought on the same card. Not sure what the story is there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back