They don’t make em like Usman and volk anymore…

Ahmed Masood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
For context, look how long it took Leon vs Colby to be made.

look how the current bw champ is refusing to fight the top contenders in his division.

look at how current contenders like Belal and Covington are willing to wait on the sidelines for their “deserved” title shots.

upload_2023-10-11_22-38-45.png

I suppose this is the reason why volk is the current lb4lb no.1 and Usman the former. These two legitimately will fight anyone, anytime anywhere which in a way defines lb4lb.

Credit to Islam and Chimaev for accepting stylistic nightmares on short notice , but man, Usman and volk are built different. How many lb4lb greats in the history of combat sports would step up last minute to save a Ppv card and infact improve it?

two future hofers and with wins here top 8 goats for sure (with a win, volk might be top 2-3 bonus the goat list)

Usman is very under appreciated in my opinion. He got so much shit when he was champ for being inactive and avoiding contenders (mainly from braindead Colby fans) but in reality he was pretty active, at least for a champion, and fought everyone that earned a TS while he was champ. He isn't always the most exciting fighter but he became more of a finisher when he was champ which was very impressive in my opinion.

People are gluing Usman and Volkanovski now, like it was the same situation? Really? LOL. Allow me expliain it to you: Usman is already bulked and was training, Volkanovski is not bulked and is not training because of his RECENT SURGERY... So, WAY different things. Usman can really win this now Volkanovski, in the other hand, only with a miracle.

I’m not giving either of them any credit for this.

for both fighters it’s a huge win win. Either one of them would be stupid not to take this fight.

now if Strickland stepped in and risked his title to khamzat that would be something unseen. But usman is being promised a title shot for a win in a division he’s never fought in once. He also already beat the mw champ. He’s also probably getting a fat cheque for saving the card. Alex is taking a rematch of a fight he’s already had once, and almost won. He’s got no title to lose in this fight and has baked in excuses if he loses which is the best case scenario for him.

Bless them both, but I’m not going to pretend that they are doing something unheard of. Anyone would jump at these matchups if offered

I’m not giving either of them any credit for this.

for both fighters it’s a huge win win. Either one of them would be stupid not to take this fight.

now if Strickland stepped in and risked his title to khamzat that would be something unseen. But usman is being promised a title shot for a win in a division he’s never fought in once. He also already beat the mw champ. He’s also probably getting a fat cheque for saving the card. Alex is taking a rematch of a fight he’s already had once, and almost won. He’s got no title to lose in this fight and has baked in excuses if he loses which is the best case scenario for him.

Bless them both, but I’m not going to pretend that they are doing something unheard of. Anyone would jump at these matchups if offered
This.
Anyone would jump at these fights. Mad respect but these are win-win situations for both guys, with the built in “if I had a full camp” excuse if they lose.

having said that I will be rooting for both guys come Saturday and hope they win despite the odds.

Usman is a cherry picking duck. That hasn’t changed, and in fact this fight proves it.

Usman is very under appreciated in my opinion. He got so much shit when he was champ for being inactive and avoiding contenders (mainly from braindead Colby fans) but in reality he was pretty active, at least for a champion, and fought everyone that earned a TS while he was champ. He isn't always the most exciting fighter but he became more of a finisher when he was champ which was very impressive in my opinion.
I disliked Usman for being a cringe poser, not his activity. There really wasn’t anyone else to contend against when he reigned. Leon was the last guy to have a justifiable title shot. He fought everyone he could’ve fought at the time besides maybe Belal (lol)

What?

{<huh}

Both are receiving huge opportunities here. Volk is getting a second chance at a title in a division that he didn't have to face any contenders in and Marty is getting promised a title shot in a division without having to beat any ranked fighters.

And I actually like both of them.

A lot of guys would have loved this opportunity. Gamrot is PISSED and I imagine Dricus will be too.

Big respect to both of them!!!

I think this is more to do with great fights than belts.

Both getting up there in age, Volk wants to challenge himself and get the biggest fights; Usman also wants to try something different and bring his name back to the forefront with a huge fight. I dig it.

If I'm being honest, I feel like there are far better examples of the "ideal champion" than Usman. Yes he was far more active than many others which is great but 3 rematches as champ (including a trilogy) was not good for the division or the sport either IMHO.

Many will argue "he doesn't make the matchups" which is a valid excuse in many cases but come on... he was the champ... he surely had significant influence if he wanted to exercise it.

Still light years beyond Woodley but I am personally glad that Usman is not champ anymore. WW post Lawler has been one of the most painful eras I can recall and is right up there with Cain's insufferable "JDS/Bigfoot/injury" carousel that went on for far too many years.

Immediate rematches were the most significant contributor to the downfall of the sport IMHO

They have a lot to benefit from these matches. I bet they’re getting financially compensated as well. Also, that term “don’t make them like that anymore” is typically used to describe something from the last that isn’t around anymore, isn’t it? Seems weird to use it to describe something contemporary.

This.
Anyone would jump at these fights. Mad respect but these are win-win situations for both guys, with the built in “if I had a full camp” excuse if they lose.

having said that I will be rooting for both guys come Saturday and hope they win despite the odds.
All this. I`ll add that Volks is coming in with virtually no camp, and is going to just try to win with heart. . . or I wonder if with a different gameplan as well?

“Both belal and Colby are willing to wait on the sidelines for a title shot”

first of all Colby doesn’t even have to wait - he gets gifted undeserved title shots courtesy of Dana white privilege and trump.

secondly - belal has been on a super long win streak and is always willing to fight anyone.

weird of you to group belal and Colby together

I'm just glad we're not stuck with Islam/Gamrot and Khamzat/Dolidze. You know that would've been a terrible sell for the UFC for the premiere Abu Dhabi card. Probably very little hype. Both Usman/Volk are fighting 2 weeks notice outside their weight class, so it's sort of win-win.

Back