Social Thoughts on cultural appropriation

So are you saying im not allowed to dress like a wealthy men if im poor?!

I mean here's an example that might be easier to relate to:

Suppose someone who's never been in the military constantly dresses up in combat fatigues and talks hard like he was part of the Navy Seals and presents himself as a shining example of the military ethos. We all know there are plenty of people like this.

Do you find that annoying? Do you think that diminishes and demeans what it means to have actually served in the military?

On the other hand I don't think most people care if you just like wearing camouflage patterned clothing. There's a fine line here.
Its not a fine line. One person is slightly crazy the other is just wearing camos.

I get what your saying here, but A lot of the times people doing thing whole stolen valor thing are trying to take advantage of veteran benefits or lying about being in a war as a way to pan handle. I think this is a little different than somebody yelling at somebody else for wearing dreadlocks.

People wearing military uniforms are on the level of somebody like Rachel Dozel or Shaun King. It's more or less fraud mixed in with mental illness.

I'm sure the kind of people you describe exist but my personal gut feeling is most people are doing that because they are insecure and they latch onto the military image to boost their own self image and self confidence.

My whole point is that there is a difference between being legitimately annoyed with people like that and criticizing someone for having a camouflage pattern on their backpack. The former is pretty understandable by all of us, the latter is done by stupid extremists on one side of the debate who are then pushing everyone on the other side of the debate towards the opposite extreme.

Last edited:
No fucks given who cooks my nashville hot chicken or dim sum, as long as it delic.

Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes all the same
There's a pink one and a green one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same
And the people in the houses
All went to the university
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same
And there's doctors and lawyers
And business executives
And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same
And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky

Moved back to the US a couple of years ago.

First day in the job, all school teachers in the district met to have a big get together at one of the local high schools.

Since there were so many people in this meeting (held in a school gym), we were told that all teachers from particular schools should dress similar to ensure were could stay together in such a large group.

Our principal told us to wear a Hawaiian shirt so that teachers in our school would be easy to find in the crowd.

We all arrived at 7:30 to the meeting. When my school gathered together, we were stopped by the district HR office. We could not attend the meeting until we changed our shirts because someone complained that we were practicing cultural appropriation due to us wearing Hawaiian shirts.
That is ridiculous I can't even imagine the people complaining about stuff like that.

No fucks given who cooks my nashville hot chicken or dim sum, as long as it delic.

Nashville hot chicken is nasty as fuck. I mean I thought it would be good so I tried to cook it, but it is literally brushing melted butter (with chili powder) onto the exterior of already fried chicken.

You're brushing butter onto the exterior of deep fried batter. I don't know, maybe next I should dip it in mayo before I eat it.

Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes all the same
And the people in the houses
All went to the university
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same
And there's doctors and lawyers
And business executives
And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same
And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky
<mma4>

I'm not generally against it. But it is kind of fucked up that Elvis became a megastar by appropriating black music while the musicians he was inspired by didn't get the same opportunities. That's more of a systematic cultural problem. But I think society has moved passed that issue by now.

First day in the job, all school teachers in the district met to have a big get together at one of the local high schools.

Since there were so many people in this meeting (held in a school gym), we were told that all teachers from particular schools should dress similar to ensure were could stay together in such a large group.

Our principal told us to wear a Hawaiian shirt so that teachers in our school would be easy to find in the crowd.

We all arrived at 7:30 to the meeting. When my school gathered together, we were stopped by the district HR office. We could not attend the meeting until we changed our shirts because someone complained that we were practicing cultural appropriation due to us wearing Hawaiian shirts.
Were you all black and accused of appropriating the culture of middle aged white men at a Saturday BBQ in the 50's?

I'm not generally against it. But it is kind of fucked up that Elvis became a megastar by appropriating black music while the musicians he was inspired by didn't get the same opportunities. That's more of a systematic cultural problem. But I think society has moved passed that issue by now.

People talk so much nonesense about Elvis these days, but:

"He was an integrator, Elvis was a blessing. They wouldn't let black music through, but he opened the door." - Little Richard, who was actually there at the time.

The term "Cultural Appropriation" is absolute poison. It prevents people enjoying and merging different cultures. It keeps people locked in separate boxes. Cross pollination between cultures is what takes the world forward. "CA" is against life and against history and one of the many crimes of modern, American, left-wing academia.

Cultural appropriation is racist, ignorant of the way the world works, and is used as a mechanism to destroy/divide people.

All countries, groups of people, etc. learn from other groups. You can't wear Egyptian clothes? Fine, Egypt can't use electricity, vehicles, etc.

The world uses ideas, fashion, whatever, from America, all Americans should be allowed to do the same.

First world bullshit non problem

Only annoying part is people giving more/equal credit to the imitation instead look the original take at it

I think anybody feel often
<36>
when foreigners speak about your city/nation/history

Cliff: italian pizza still worst

images

Nashville hot chicken is nasty as fuck. I mean I thought it would be good so I tried to cook it, but it is literally brushing melted butter (with chili powder) onto the exterior of already fried chicken.

You're brushing butter onto the exterior of deep fried batter. I don't know, maybe next I should dip it in mayo before I eat it.

It's Ceyenne but actually I think you are onto something with the mayo.. if you got a decent coat on there I bet you could get bacon bits to stick.

I wear a ton of stuff from different countries, like really cute Chinese dresses, wraparound trousers from Thailand and even in "woke" Silicon Valley no one's had a go about them. They could try though, it would end up with them looking like the dickhead, not me.

Back