Media Throwback: McGregor dismantling Max Holloway

I've seen Conor fanboys bring up this fight a few times and I have no idea why.

If you think that's even .5% of the Max you see nowadays you don't know fighting.

^This. Max has improved tremendously since that fight, and it's obvious just by watching him fight then and watching him fight now.

We're still doing this after all these years? Lol.

Some things never change.

the-circle.gif

TS conveniently leaves out the fact that Max was 21.

Out of curiosity, what do you think 25-year-old Max would do to 21-year-old Conor. For frame of reference, Max was already UFC champion and had beaten Aldo and Pettis when he was 25. Meanwhile, Conor got subbed by Joe Duffy when he was 22.

Yeah.. pre-prime fighter vs prime fighter. Let's go back in time and go prime for prime - that would be interesting.

I've never understood why Conor is never in the discussion for FW goat.
Dominated Holloway, destroyed pea head Doostin, literally one 1 punched Aldo and also finished Mendes who at the time was very good.

Still had more UFC experience than Conor, this win is pretty impressive and try to say otherwise is nonsense, it doesn't take anything away from what Max did after it.

Max was 21 with 9 fights and 3 years of experience. Conor was 25 with 15 fights and 5 years of experience.

Max was obviously nowhere near as good as he later became, that's not even debatable. Max's ground game was green and he was scraping by fighters on the level of Leonard Garcia. Conor's win over Diego Brandao is more impressive than the win over Max.

Conor was brilliant, no doubt. Credit where credit is due. A fantastic FW striker ahead of his time

However, both fighters peaked at different times. Max improved leaps and bounds since this fight. I'm sure the version of max now would absolutely tool his young self

Lennox lewis wasn't a pro when Mike was champ in 88, but he was a year older

Mike aged 22 kills 23 year old lennox
Lennox aged 33 kills Mike aged 22
How does Mike 22 fare against Lewis 33?

Point being, Fighters peak at different times. Conor was much closer to his top level and max had much to learn

I've never understood why Conor is never in the discussion for FW goat.
Dominated Holloway, destroyed pea head Doostin, literally one 1 punched Aldo and also finished Mendes who at the time was very good.
Never defended the title, 4 ranked wins total. His run was amazing but short. It's very lacking in longevity and doesn't compare to what Aldo, Volk, and Max have done.

Would just like to add that max in recent years would beat the fw Conor, especially over 5 rounds

Aldo gets beat in a rematch
Aldo fanboys think he's In the overall goat contention, but what other goat has 3 guys in the same division that is better than him?

H2h Aldo is behind all 3 guys

Yes.. prime Conor was awesome.

But Max was also like 14 years old in that fight.

That rematch is something I would definitely want to watch.. maybe for Max BMF title since it is the only title Colon will sniff in his life.
first off max was not 14

secondly Conor won 2 titles

excuse for what.... that was then... this is now.. the game has passed your boy by... judging by the fact that he is sparing with someone from BumFights these days and Max just had one of the most memorable triumphs in years over a top tier opponent tells the world all it needs to know...
connor = washed up has been who got lucky twice, never defended cause shook, has been getting destroyed ever since...
Max = Hall Of Fame shoe in and living legend who isn't done yet... Fought a who's who of MMA greats and has only lost to Volk and Dustin in 23 fights since his loss to connor...

connor needs to stick to cheap booze and pumping cucks girlfriends in pub shitters

Oh yeah don't get me started on Lemur.. I paid him $200 an hour to mow my lawn, came home and caught him sun bathing, not even 1 grass had been cut.

Claims he fell asleep in the heat :rolleyes::rolleyes: 200 large ones down the drain.

Ok? So?

Does it still take away from the fact that was a very raw and undeveloped fighter?
Were you also nitpicking DJ back in the day for losing to Brad Pickett in his WEC days?

Grow a fucking brain dude.

Holloway also took the fight on short notice as a late replacement and was injured.

By your laughable logic, Duffy > McGregor.

We're still doing this after all these years? Lol.

Some things never change.

The cope is strong in this thread.

Back