Social TikTok is a Cyberweapon

Hopefully after today, it's a cyberweapon on its way to being banned or handed over.

Biden just signed it into law.

BTW, this bill also includes legislation that bans foreign adversaries from buying user info from other sources like Facebook too.

There will be a court challenge which could lead to the measure being temporarily blocked while the litigation plays out, likely over multiple years. But if a court declines to grant a temporary injunction, TikTok could have to scramble to comply with the law.

Last edited:
I have had conversations with old HS and college friends who use TikTok and they are mostly really against the forced sale of TikTok out of Chinese hands. It's insane how much they've been brainwashed by the app.

I searched Tiananmen Square and Uyghur Muslims on TikTok and saw posts defending it only 😂 The comments section is even more hilarious - blaming it on the US.

It is 100% a security threat and I don't understand how normally not stupid people can't see that?

Second point - The TikTok CEO went in front of Congress and said China or the CCP doesn't affect TikTok USA content. Then WHY TF is Taiwan Independence content censored? I thought TikTok USA was independent of China? OBVIOUS LIE.

"I was A OK with American billionaires spying on me through my phone and selling every data point about my life to the highest bidder, but I draw the line at Chinese billionaires doing that!"

If Tik Tok is a cyberweapon then so is FaceBook, Instagram and Twitter. Ban them all or ban none. Regulate them all or regulate none.

This has absolutely nothing to do with national security. It's about having a giant data siphoner that ultimately is not beholden to the American state, as opposed to the other giant data siphoners which are beholden to the American state.

Oh man, im excited to see if that specific Gen Z'ers will actually follow through on their threats to off themselves.

"I was A OK with American billionaires spying on me through my phone and selling every data point about my life to the highest bidder, but I draw the line at Chinese billionaires doing that!"

If Tik Tok is a cyberweapon then so is FaceBook, Instagram and Twitter. Ban them all or ban none. Regulate them all or regulate none.

This has absolutely nothing to do with national security. It's about having a giant data siphoner that ultimately is not beholden to the American state, as opposed to the other giant data siphoners which are beholden to the American state.

This bill also bans foreign adversaries from buying user info from sources like Facebook too.

Last edited:
This bill also in bans foreign adversaries from buying user info from sources like Facebook too.
I'm all for regulations on corporations and laws that protect privacy and consumer's rights. I just want those laws and regulations to be applied evenly and be based on principles rather than xenophobia or sinophobia.

This. You have Google and its other platform YouTube, and then Facebook which is also up to no good. But these products are not Chinese so they are okay.

Situation is quite different. Large companies who operate in China must become part of the CCP political party. Corporations are even given legitimate legislative positions.

Situation is quite different. Large companies who operate in China must become part of the CCP political party. Corporations are even given legitimate legislative positions.

That's the crux of it; Tik Tok is essentially a quasi state owned entity that operates differently within specific geographic locations. Then again, foreigners voluntarily sign up for their services so whatever data dump they provide is solely on them

TikTok USA claims the CCP has no influence on operations in America. Obviously not true based on the censorship.
at this point, it's too late, there is a dependency on tiktok and there will be massive pushback as a practical matter.

I'm somewhat indifferent on the subject, youtube is in multiple non american countries (even russia has youtube), facebook, x, all american companies, very influencial companies. China has an app and we cry bloody murder.

what's good for the goose is good for the gander

I'm all for regulations on corporations and laws that protect privacy and consumer's rights. I just want those laws and regulations to be applied evenly and be based on principles rather than xenophobia or sinophobia.

I don't care about it being applied evenly when it comes to the CCP and China.

CCP are belligerent, human rights abusing assholes to all their neighbors. South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam, Philippines, etc. They all can't stand them either.

That's the crux of it; Tik Tok is essentially a quasi state owned entity that operates differently within specific geographic locations. Then again, foreigners voluntarily sign up for their services so whatever data dump they provide is solely on them
tiktok doesnt ask for a ton of data from what I recall, it's not facebook, you can go into app permissions and see for yourself, it's hardly intrusive.

CCP are belligerent, human rights abusing assholes to all their neighbors. South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam, Philippines, etc. They all can't stand them either.
all those countries probably allow tiktok as well, probably because it's nowhere near as intrusive as social media they also allow, like facebook.

How many innocent civilians has China slaughtered in regime change wars?

Which country has more people in prison - China, or the US? Both total prison population, and per capita prison population?

The lack of self-awareness is astonishing.

They're the evil bad guys but your country has more people locked up in prison than anywhere else on earth?
They're the evil bad guys but your country is the military empire that destabilizes and slaughters foreign nations around the globe?

How does that make sense in your brain?

tiktok doesnt ask for a ton of data from what I recall, it's not facebook, you can go into app permissions and see for yourself, it's hardly intrusive.

Doesn't ask, takes. Whether you trust or not is up to the end user. And you can counter with Meta all you want, it's not a quasi state owned entity which IMO is the Crux of it.

You think Facebook is less manipulative?

Blurred lines always exist between massive corporations and the country laws/political parties they operate in. Pertaining to China no blurred line exists.

Your viewing this incorrectly. Thinking a USA social media platform has the same level of FTC alignment to that of a independent government weapons manufacturer with the Department of Defense.

People need to stop thinking about the issue like this.

The problem isn't your data. lmao

There is almost no useful data any country can gain from the social media profiles of plebs. That data is only useful to private corporations, advertisers, etc.

The problem with apps like tiktok being controlled by foreign countries is that they can be used as vehicles to transmit foreign propaganda directly to American plebs. Even calls for direct action as well.

They really doomed their business in America when they sent out a broadcast to all their users to contact their congressmen, provided the phone numbers, and then the users did just that. It was a clear demonstration of their influence.

The absolute meltdown China is having, tells you everything you need to know.

Back