Social TikTok users flood Congress with calls as potential forced sale advances in House

Tiktok on it's own reaches over 150 million Americans.

Just being on these media sites exposes you to the same influence operations no matter the reason you're on there for. In fact that's how the majority of them work, by getting real Americans to engage with and spread their content further legitimatizing the attempts to influence by making it appear domestic.

There's dozens if not hundreds of them over years in this forum doing and trying to do just that. And this is just a tiny karate forum.
Perhaps it's just because I'm old and don't use it that much, but when I do I almost never interact with much of anything outside my local community. I think without data to show otherwise that this sort of behavior is typical of a lot of people. Not counting TikTok, of course.

Perhaps it's just because I'm old and don't use it that much, but when I do I almost never interact with much of anything outside my local community. I think without data to show otherwise that this sort of behavior is typical of a lot of people. Not counting TikTok, of course.

I mean you see the evidence of these operations posted on here every day even if you don't engage much in other places. Every single click bait outrage story is almost always some type of foreign influence attempt. Whether the story is outright fabricated or deliberately amplified because of how it relates to our wedge issues. The people posting it here are the unwitting agents of those foreign countries.

Hundreds if not thousands of these types of anecdotal trans or racist rage bait stories get amplified right here. So many we actually need megathreads just to contain them. Most of these stories are so incredibly anecdotal but they are amplified to the point that Americans perceive them as commonplace.

The operations are not partisan either, the goal is just chaos, division, demoralization and distraction.

I can see not many people in this thread did any research about what is actually in this bill.

The bill goes well beyond banning TikTok, also targeting any "website, desktop application, mobile application, or augmented or immersive technology application" that is claimed to be "foreign adversary controlled," which includes not just China but Russia, North Korea, and Iran.

The bill authorizes future expulsion actions to be taken unilaterally by the President, provided he "determines," using unspecified criteria, that at an application "presents a significant threat to the national security of the United States."

If you bozo's trust the US government and the President to control what media you are exposed to then go ahead and support this bill. You'd be a fool for it.

This is some Trojan Horse shit. They wont stop here.

This is completely false.

This bill DOES NOT empower the Executive Branch to define “foreign adversary” and prohibit any apps owned by its own definition of “foreign adversary.” The bill defines a foreign adversary-controlled application as subject to the control of China, Russia, Iran, or North Korea ONLY. This is not a blank check for the Biden administration, or future administrations, to restrict whatever apps it wants.

Read the bill. It's called the Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act.

Clause 4 says:

(4) FOREIGN ADVERSARY COUNTRY.—The term “foreign adversary country” means a country specified in section 4872(d)(2) of title 10, United States Code.

That section SPECIFIES "foreign adversary country" as Russia, North Korea, Iran and China only.

This bill DOES NOT empower the Executive Branch to define “foreign adversary” and prohibit any apps owned by its own definition of “foreign adversary.” The bill defines a foreign adversary-controlled application as subject to the control of China, Russia, Iran, or North Korea ONLY. This is not a blank check for the Biden administration, or future administrations, to restrict whatever apps it wants.

Read the bill. It's called the Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act.

Clause 4 says:

(4) FOREIGN ADVERSARY COUNTRY.—The term “foreign adversary country” means a country specified in section 4872(d)(2) of title 10, United States Code.

That section SPECIFIES "foreign adversary country" as Russia, North Korea, Iran and China only.
This bill itself is no different from what China and Russia had done by banning Facebook,YT,etc.

This bill is a slippery slope this would make US govt look no different from China's communist party while at the same time they are screaming about "Freedom and Democracy"

future administrations, to restrict whatever apps it wants
That is it. To Restrict whatever the US govt wishes with this allow they could even restrict twitter.
Not just Tik Tok when they state adversary they could even not allow any apps from India to not just Russia or China...

This bill itself is no different from what China and Russia had done by banning Facebook,YT,etc.

This bill is a slippery slope this would make US govt look no different from China's communist party while at the same time they are screaming about "Freedom and Democracy"

How is it a slippery slope when it literally specifies China, Iran, North Korea and Russia?

How is it a slippery slope when it literally specifies China, Iran, North Korea and Russia?
It is a Slippery slope. This gives US govt power to shut down any apps that they view they are "adversary threat" not just specifically those countries as it listed.

This type of behavior is anti fair competition.

It is a Slippery slope. This gives US govt power to shut down any apps that they view they are "adversary threat" not just specifically those countries as it listed.

This type of behavior is anti fair competition.

That's not true. Read the bill. Clause 4.

There is the fair competition law.
Tik Tok started out as such with the same law. By making a new law to ban/restrict access to users because these apps are made by "American govt/International Based Order adversary"
Congress passed the first antitrust law, the Sherman Act, in 1890 as a "comprehensive charter of economic liberty aimed at preserving free and unfettered competition as the rule of trade." In 1914, Congress passed two additional antitrust laws: the Federal Trade Commission Act, which created the FTC, and the Clayton Act. With some revisions, these are the three core federal antitrust laws still in effect today.

The Sherman Act outlaws "every contract, combination, or conspiracy in restraint of trade," and any "monopolization, attempted monopolization, or conspiracy or combination to monopolize." Long ago, the Supreme Court decided that the Sherman Act does not prohibit every restraint of trade, only those that are unreasonable. For instance, in some sense, an agreement between two individuals to form a partnership restrains trade, but may not do so unreasonably, and thus may be lawful under the antitrust laws. On the other hand, certain acts are considered so harmful to competition that they are almost always illegal. These include plain arrangements among competing individuals or businesses to fix prices, divide markets, or rig bids. These acts are "per se" violations of the Sherman Act; in other words, no defense or justification is allowed.

@GoldenWolf87 is the perfect example for what I was just talking about.

Dude is clearly not American and literally does nothing but post rage bait and is posting nearly copy pasted Chinese talking points on this topic.

Clause 4 says:

I mean I'm not some law student, so I'm not going to debate if your points are correct or not, I'm not sure. However, I don't even want them preventing me from accessing information from those specific countries even. That should be my fucking choice. I'm sure this could also be amended to add more countries in the future. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

I don't need the fucking corrupt US Government filtering my media. If you are for that then go ahead and support this. I don't trust our government AT ALL and they continue to erode our rights and try to dictate the narrative. No thanks, but if you like a nanny state then good for you.

I mean I'm not some law student, so I'm not going to debate if your points are correct or not, I'm not sure. However, I don't even want them preventing me from accessing information from those specific countries even. That should be my fucking choice. I'm sure this could also be amended to add more countries in the future. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

I don't need the fucking corrupt US Government filtering my media. If you are for that then go ahead and support this. I don't trust our government AT ALL and they continue to erode our rights and try to dictate the narrative. No thanks, but if you like a nanny state then good for you.

Those countries already do disseminate information in the US. Russia did it pretty successfully via Facebook. And they have the RT news network on Youtube.

What the problem is in the Tiktok case - China has unprecedented access to user data.

Saying that, some of the arguments against this TikTok bill do have validity.

Part of the reason Biden and everyone moved so fast to pass the bill in the House is because Jewish lobbyists and AIPAC heavily pressured politicians for this bill to pass.

Reason: TikTok overwhelmingly skews young and the young overwhelmingly are pro-Palestinian.

Last edited:
TL/DR

1. Congressional panel unanimously votes to force Chinese based Bytedance to sell Tiktok to a US based company or they get taken off appstore.
2. TikTok sends an alert every single user falsely claiming they're banning the app with a link to call lawmakers.
3. Congressmen get inundated with calls. Many from children or young people. Some threatening suicide or harming themselves.
4. This plan backfires as the frantic efforts by TikTok is only reinforcing the security issues with a Chinese controlled company. Bill getting bipartisan support.

You know why they want to to tik tok to be sold to america. Company. Because israeli tech people went to chima and demanded they take down palestinian videos chinesse did not want to so now they want to sell it in usa. It is funny on instagram ot treads no palestinian videos at all but tik tok shows everything and that is what they want

People need to ban Tiktok themselves. Aside from being Chinese spyware, it's rotting kid's brains. Giving them anxiety and body image issues. Yet parents have to allow their kids to be on it unless they want their kid to be ostracized in school. Such a terrible addiction to force upon a child to make them appear "normal", when the new normal is a growing number of anxious and depressed kids.

Back