Tired of the money begging by fighters

I agree that negotiations should be done at the contract signing time and not between fights. The only exception should be if you win a belt of some sort. That should be a reason for a new contract.

An average fighter should get about 4.5 times the median salary. The reason is a typical person works about 45 years (20-65) while a typical fighter career is about 10 years. Let's say a median salary is 65k a year. A fighter should be expected to fight 3 times a year. That would equal to just under 100k per fight not counting bonuses. That means that for non top-10 fighters UFC pays about 2-3x below what it should be paying assuming a fighter has 3+ years of experience and a decent record.

If UFC cannot schedule a fight, a fighter should be compensated accordingly. But being dumb in training is not a reason for a compensation. On top of that a fighter can find sponsors (outside the octagon), train people, use platforms such as Youtube and Instagram....

Also, picking opponents needs to stop unless the fighter is an expert at self-marketing.

You know you are absolutely missing the point for the sake of cheap morals. Of course everyone wishes everyone the best, but with some realism. If I sign s contract getting me 150k per year, then I spend excessively and complain to my employer that I’m broke he should pay me more … you see where I’m going I hope.

It’s not even about how much in the end, in many cases: recently I read about a footballer who was earning 200k per month, for years, and was completely broke … I don’t think his employer was making him “starve” to quote you.
It’s not just about spending. Gyms, management, medical bills, nutrition take up a huge percentage of fighter pay. Regardless, the athletes should be paid proportional to profits. It will bring more talent and validity to the sport and increase the lives of fighters overall.

I must say I was disappointed to look at Guida's career earnings of 2 million dollars.. this is over 30 UFC fights, now 31 in total. His last contract, he's been getting 50k to show and 50k to win, and that's the most the guy has even been paid, His fights for the most part I'm not always entertained by cause I know what to expect, but he has name power and has been in some absolute wars. He in my opinion is one of the most grossly underpaid fighters ever in the UFC. The guy has been fighting for 14 years, which is really crazy when you think about it.

I get your point, but this is prizefighting, It's supposed to be dude duking it out in the cage with their lives on the line to win a prize.. yeah some normal everyday people risk their lives everyday in their own job, but this is different this is entertainment, broadcast out to millions of people. Still shocking to see a veteran of over 30 fights, making only 50k .. sad really

You can spend 50k that year on a few camps sure but your opponent with a similar skillset and experience may end up spending 150k. Maybe they can afford to fly in someone who fights exactly like you do while you can only get someone local to try and mimic your opponent and maybe they aren't quite so good at it. Your opponent spent that $ on trips to or flying in some of the best coaches in the world. Meanwhile you are doing your best with your local coaches.

Yeah you may win. But the deck is continually stacked against you and you have to rely on your opponent making glaring amature hour mistakes as opposed to winning because you are actually better than they are. Then you find out for real when you face an opponent who doesn't make such mistakes and they give you a career's worth of damage. Maybe all it takes is one really hard punch that sits you down and your confidence is shot for the rest of your career. There are fights and fighters like that almost every card.

Money makes an enormous difference and the more difficult the opponent the more difference it can make. If not then you have to rely on your opponent and their coaches being incompetent in leaving massive holes in their game. It happens even at the elite level but that's a hell of a gamble and you have to be insanely well trained and dialed in to take advantage of that. You're not getting that level of attention at any gym without a shit load of money and/or the coach seeing something in you that they want to build up and they are willing to spend years of their lives to bring that out.

While some of your criticism is completely valid like how they spend their money on personal frivolous shit. Probably because they are depressed as shit. The truth is we know what it can cost to run an elite level camp and that's not in the 10s but 100s of thousands of dollars.

But that’s just life … some startups become billion-dollar unicorns and others falter by the wayside leaving people broke, due to lack of talent or insufficient resources or poor timing or some random hard luck … there is seldom a level playing field, always someone with more or less (talent, resources, luck, etc). Start with what you have, do your absolute best, aim to the top but plan smart for both success and failure.

Fighting bears absolutely no resemblance to a career in some office. None whatsoever. The complexities involved in fighting are completely and utterly different.

Read/quote the rest of my post, you took it completely out of context.

Apparently, people are lining up to drop $70 in ppv money to watch Cannonier point whore for 3-5 rds...

Must've missed the part where he was a draw and provides that Conor McGregor aura

Cannonier did not cry to anyone, not sure why you decided to include him in your post.

He simply said he was broke, so he would consider taking a fight if it was against the right name.

He has only fought twice in the last two years due to injuries, so it makes perfect sense that money would be tight; the man has a family.

He is doing the exact opposite of what you claim TS, by saying that he would take a fight against the right name because of his financial situation.

Jon Jones on the other hand is crying on twitter about $8,000,000 not being enough. Not sure why you chose to target Cannonier.

Until things are ideal for all workers and employees of the world, don't side with billionaires and corporations. Never. No matter what. They get what they need from this and perpetuate situations with public approval and/or support against groups and individuals.

Cannonier did not cry to anyone, not sure why you decided to include him in your post.

He simply said he was broke, so he would consider taking a fight if it was against the right name.

He has only fought twice in the last two years due to injuries, so it makes perfect sense that money would be tight; the man has a family.

He is doing the exact opposite of what you claim TS, by saying that he would take a fight against the right name because of his financial situation.

Jon Jones on the other hand is crying on twitter about $8,000,000 not being enough. Not sure why you chose to target Cannonier.

Perhaps I made a mistake, I just read an article about him complaining about being broke but didn’t listen to the full interview.

fighters spend excessively? rather than simply not earning enough? Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a training camp?
I'd say yes. Miesha Tate was just saying she was broke. Apparently, her training had her flying to go to different gyms and shit. She probably took first class, and shoved all the caviar up her wazzoo

Perhaps I made a mistake, I just read an article about him complaining about being broke but didn’t listen to the full interview.

You should take his name out of the OP because it completely diminishes your points.

Cannonier did not insinuate he was under-compensated in any way, he did not complain, and is not deserving of any kind of ridicule.

It was in the post fight interview which is 2 minutes long.

I did actually. I was a martial arts professional athlete 30 years ago when earnings (if you won) barely covered travel expenses to the events … so I went to college and developed in parallel to martial arts a related (in the field of fitness and health) more viable career, rather than complain about being broke.
Why should I give a shit.
<DisgustingHHH>

I don't watch your old complaining ass fight. I leave it to the pros. Why do YOU care boomer? Watch the fights and have less takes or go train again so you have less time to complain about athlete's pay on a website. This is a typical boomer response with no empathy or understanding. Gtfo here with that shit.
<{Heymansnicker}>

You did … immediately after I said that it has unique additional challenges, chiefly the short duration.
I'd say yes. Miesha Tate was just saying she was broke. Apparently, her training had her flying to go to different gyms and shit. She probably took first class, and shoved all the caviar up her wazzoo
she probably flew to those different gyms to get her nails painted rather than prepare for her fight, and yes she almost certainly crammed fish eggs into herself while on an airplane en route.

I did actually. I was a martial arts professional athlete 30 years ago when earnings (if you won) barely covered travel expenses to the events … so I went to college and developed in parallel to martial arts a related (in the field of fitness and health) more viable career, rather than complain about being broke.

Translation:

I sucked at the same job never making it to the elite level and got paid shit therefore people who are elite should get shit pay as well.

There’s at least 4 or 5 threads on this on the first page. Could they not all get merged :cool:

fighters spend excessively? rather than simply not earning enough? Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a training camp?

Yep I know that and it is FAR less than liars as Tate say. A high level training camp is maybe 15k if you fly in several top athletes etc maybe 20k but that is more than double what most fighters spend. If you want to go absolute bonkers with several doctors..etc hell double it for fun but its very rare this happens and has nothing to do with need but luxury. Most training camps stay around 10k for higher level athletes.

The TS is absolutely right in calling out the hypocrisy. Tate, Cannonier etc earn a very high salary after training expenses /taxes but decide to spend like crazy. If they would post a complete list of their spendings there would be an outcry about their dishonesty. Its a trend to self victimize and its used to cheat people out of more money.

Dodson started a gofundme after his car crash for "medical expences and his car etc" while only visiting hospital without injuries. His career fight purse alone is above 1million! Tim Sylvia started gofundme because of being broke after earning millions and having a house and 2 cars....etc.

The athletes who bitch and complain mostly earn A LOT more than the median household often with kids. Woodley complained about UFC and going broke after having earned millions and spending money like crazy.

I am all for fighters earning more money but their salary has nothing to do with them going broke

Last edited:
Tired of fighter bashing, dub and ban TS

Tired of the money begging by fighters

1) You signed a contract

If you didn’t like the amounts or they weren’t sufficient for you to live, then you should have asked for more or if impossible then focused on alternative means of employment / earning. In all professions when anyone is about to sign a contract they negotiate the pay, not sign then later complain it’s not enough for them and they are broke.

2) It’s the way most sports careers begin

Plenty of athletes before becoming superstars (for example most olympians, especially in the less popular disciplines and until they get to medal level) struggle and make ends meet with second jobs or family support. If you don’t like it then choose a different more immediately rewarding career.
You couldn’t because you are an ex convict degenerate (exaggerating obviously) who can only fight? Well then be glad you are getting a - high by general population standards - income instead of being on welfare or in jail.

3) You anyway earned enough not to be broke

The latest cry-babies, Tate and Cannonier, have been earning way over 100k per year fron the UFC (plus likely some personal sponsors, other things on the side such as teaching gigs, etc) … that is absolutely enough to not be broke at all: the median family income in the USA is 60k, so you are making at least double that. If you are still broke because of “heart monitors and healthy food” (Tate’s response) you are frankly an idiot.

PS: just saw in another thread that Cannonier made over 1/2 million in the last 3 years … as usual athletes being “broke” is about money management not salary, after all there have been plenty of footballers and other highly paid athletes declaring bankruptcy despite earning tens and in some cases hundreds of millions.

Back