Rewatch Tito vs Mezger 1 - two fights in one

Nah it was a good read. I trained a bunch of stuff back in the day and found more often than not it's the fighter and quality instruction which would include vigorous sparring than the style itself. I couldn't get aikido to work with much practical application and most Chinese martial arts have non sense that doesn't work. I took belts with a grain of salt over that unless we are talking BJJ

I'm still waiting on other parties for this fucking breakfast.

It all varies so much - belts/disciplines. There are schools which might identify as a form of karate, and really just focus on forms and movement without any real discipline instilled regarding other essentials. There's one down the street from me, which I walk by all the time, and am always amused by the little toddlers and the random adult class just winging cringey arm punches and kicks. I know of a local school which primarily is a Kempo Karate school, but they've had instructors there who traveled extensively and trained under other educators (including Shaolin, BJJ, etc) and they embrace a good breadth of range in their instruction, discussion and sparring. They also demand some pretty intense physical fitness excercises for their belt tests, including miles of running before certain demonstrations, and all sorts of other things including things as basic as pushups, but overall the tests are demanding, both physically and mentally, and I'd say overall that it is a great school (or was - it's 2024; been a while) in terms of building confidence, physical fitness, and the confidence to compete or defend yourself, but I suppose someone else might argue that it isn't focused on the purity of one art because it's definitely more a product of what works rather than finding a way to make one style work to all needs. Depends on your expectations of a martial arts academy, I guess.

Been seeing a lot of mezger posts here lately. He actually was pretty good! Supposedly got robbed against arona. Beat Tito once. Champion in pacrase and a ufc tournament winner. I need to check out some of his fights.

Tito Ortiz's head got even bigger after this fight.

In 2024 his head will be the size of the moon.
giphy.gif

Wish they kept these rules.

Wand would've marked Tito with these rules

BJM in his prime was an incredible muppet. A caricature of an aggressively stupid man.

The guy literally used to use stoppages as an opportunity to land random cheap shots on fighters.

If you were creating a ficitional power-tripping meathead cop, you'd tone it down a little because BJM would be too on the nose.

I think it was more about perception of karate forms, and was a reverse reaction to the past, when so many fewer people knew anything about martial arts that it was actuslly not uncommon for people to mention that nonsense about hands being registered as deadly weapons (there were even movies that alluded to this crap).

Although if you're talking about opinions of actual competitors, well, Ken is insane, so there's that. Remember when he coached TUF and kept demanding more weight lifting days from his team? He's just a jacked white boy.

I think there definitely was an overall societal phase somewhere during and beyond the 90s when people in general flipped their opinion and began to view karate as some laughable McDojo scam, as opposed to the 80s, when it was all shrouded in the mystery and provoked awe. LOL!

For what it's worth, it's simply the execution of the training. A tae kwon do instructor might spend their days teaching kids form, and wind up producing dozens of ballerinas, but if you strategically mix that technical instruction with practical application, sparring and endurance training, then you can instill the understanding of how to utilize those techniques effectively. Ok, I'm done rambling. Time for breakfast.
I think the biggest issue with karate is that so much of it really is just form because often there is no sparring with a resisting opponent whereas boxing and wrestling for example you’d get laughed out of the gym if you showed up and couldn’t roll or go a few rounds in the ring.

That’s really what it comes down to, if you actually spar against a live resisting opponent then you can probably translate at least a little bit of that to an actual fight whatever it is you’re training. If you don’t, then you probably don’t know a damn thing and should stay away from a real fight if it ever presented itself.

I ran into Guy.

The fights with Rogerio and Arona were really close. A lot of peeps thought the Arona SD was a bad call.

Both Lil Nog and Arona were top 5 staples and had he been given those decisions, his career would've been very different, although can't do much against neurological damage.

He was doing good. Looked to be in good spirits and health.
I suspect what ultimately lost him the decisions though and the problem thoughout a lot of his career is that he was too passive.

If your talking dodgy ref calls one that comes to mind is Aoki/Hansen 2, Aoki is standing over Hansen in a very advantagous position for him, Hansen up kicks him in the groin and then its restarted standing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Mezger, in his first UFC fight, who had a gentlemans agreement with his opponent, that there would be no hair pulling? If I remember right, Mezger and his opponent both had real long hair. They made a pact, that neither would pull hair in their fight. I loved the early years of MMA. It's pretty cool, to be old enough to have seen the evolution of MMA in real time. Mezger was a Lions Den legend!
I remember someone describing that fight (Mezger vs. Macias I think?) as like watching the lead singers of Winger and Cinderella (80s hair metal bands) duking it out. Fun times.

That "Gay Mezger is my B@#ch" shirt was something by Tito. I think Ken would have put him into a living death had they fought that night. Between Titos t-shirts and quotable interviews im surprised he never had a Tito's chicken soup for the soul book

There sure was. He was one of my favorite fighters and Shamrocks star pupil which I believe harmed his career and benefited ken more than anything. I always found it odd about people thinking Karate sucks even in the old days. Keith Hackney and Mezger were both Karate experts.

Mezger was always a guy who was always close but no cigar. He fought a lot of tough fights against legends but often fell short. Would it have been different if he had switched camps? I guess we will never know but I feel like at his peak he was still a little short

Great old skool fight

This is basically actually two fights in one.
Tito is battering Mezger on the ground with control and legal knees to the head at the time, Mezger getting hurt bad and cut and on the verge of being stopped, even looks like he possibly taps...then McCarthy stops the fight, but instead of giving the win to Tito calls a doctor check to clean up the cut...then returns them to their feet instead of the same position where Tito was maybe a few seconds from winning.

This is basically then the second fight and Mezger catches Tito with a guillotine.

Overall a great battle even though Tito actually got screwed but props to Mezger he is a tough SOB. Also went in with one glove and one bare knuckle fist.

Ahh, the good old "Tito fights for free because he's on college scholarship" days.

Mezger was always a guy who was always close but no cigar. He fought a lot of tough fights against legends but often fell short. Would it have been different if he had switched camps? I guess we will never know but I feel like at his peak he was still a little short
He was elite no doubt, beating Tito even with 'help' was no joke and he also went toe to toe with prime Chuck, Lil Nog and basically beat Sakuraba.
He was just in an era where it was the wild west and yes, he perhaps was just a tad short of being consistent champion material.
Still alongside Frank Shamrock and Vernon White, Guy Mezger was one of the top 3 students that the Lion's Den ever produced.

BJM in his prime was an incredible muppet. A caricature of an aggressively stupid man.

The guy literally used to use stoppages as an opportunity to land random cheap shots on fighters.

If you were creating a ficitional power-tripping meathead cop, you'd tone it down a little because BJM would be too on the nose.
This is true, McCarthy seems to think he doubled as a coach and arbitrator of who should be winning. At the time MMA reffing was in its formative stages so he was the unquestioning authority but in hindsight its possible to see how bad he was in a lot of ways and his playing favourites with certain fighters.

He was elite no doubt, beating Tito even with 'help' was no joke and he also went toe to toe with prime Chuck, Lil Nog and basically beat Sakuraba.
He was just in an era where it was the wild west and yes, he perhaps was just a tad short of being consistent champion material.
Still alongside Frank Shamrock and Vernon White, Guy Mezger was one of the top 3 students that the Lion's Den ever produced.

This is true, McCarthy seems to think he doubled as a coach and arbitrator of who should be winning. At the time MMA reffing was in its formative stages so he was the unquestioning authority but in hindsight its possible to see how bad he was in a lot of ways and his playing favourites with certain fighters.

If you listen to McCarthy these days, he genuinely thinks he was a fighter.

Definitely see a tap

This has always been one of the more difficult cases, because not only is he trying to fend off incoming knees, but he's also being cradled and moved around, so he's also looking to post and get his balance. At most, you could say that he was thinking about tapping and made the motion once before deciding to fight through it, but you could just as easily say that it was just his hand flopping to the mat because no knee was incoming at that moment. Tough one to call.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Mezger, in his first UFC fight, who had a gentlemans agreement with his opponent, that there would be no hair pulling? If I remember right, Mezger and his opponent both had real long hair. They made a pact, that neither would pull hair in their fight.

Yep, and if you've ever seen what James Warring did to Erik Paulson, you can understand why.

I loved the early years of MMA. It's pretty cool, to be old enough to have seen the evolution of MMA in real time. Mezger was a Lions Den legend!

Early MMA is my favorite. I'll take the first 15 years over the last 15 years every day of the week and twice on Sunday. And yes, Mezger is one of the old school greats.

There sure was. He was one of my favorite fighters and Shamrocks star pupil which I believe harmed his career and benefited ken more than anything.

It harmed his career to train with the best fighter in the world at the time, in the best camp alongside a number of the top fighters at the time, and get booked in Pancrase - where he'd become a champ - the UFC - where he'd become a champ - and PRIDE, notching great wins and fighting epic battles in three of the biggest promotions in MMA history? Yeah, what an unfortunate set of circumstances...:rolleyes:

He was the guy to give all the big stars really good fights like Chuck, Tito and even wanderlei who headbutted him wen he had him against the ropes. japanese loved some axe murdering so of course they let is slide.

It's true, outside of that first Tito fight, the ball never bounced his way. Any close or missed calls always went in favor of his opponent.

Ken made him quit in the Sakuraba fight. Guy had to deal with a lot of bullshit in his career.
Ken was always stupid
Mezger then got screwed in Pride pretty good vs Sakuraba.

The "bullshit" that Guy had to deal with against Sakuraba was, as JKS pointed out, PRIDE's fault, not Ken's. Guy was injured and took that fight on short-notice specifically on condition, as negotiated and agreed upon beforehand, that the fight would be one round and then a decision would be rendered. But when the round ended and Guy had the advantage for a decision, they said fuck you and your deal, he either fights another round or he loses. That was PRIDE fuckery for their hometown hero and Ken told them, rightfully so, to fuck off. Considering PRIDE's occasional fuckery with decisions, it's always been weird to me that they didn't just render a verdict and award Sakuraba the fight. But had Sakuraba not gone on in the tournament, we wouldn't have gotten that epic 90-minute Royce fight, nor would we have gotten to see Sakuraba hold his own against a HW Igor Vovchanchyn.

Why does Metzger only have 1 glove?

Because Mezger broke his hand earlier in the tournament, and after likely getting the glove cut off, he didn't want to deal with the pain of having to put a new one on.

Been seeing a lot of mezger posts here lately. He actually was pretty good! Supposedly got robbed against arona. Beat Tito once. Champion in pacrase and a ufc tournament winner. I need to check out some of his fights.

Mezger's career is definitely worth going through, because win or lose his fights were always great tactical battles.

RIP Blatnik. Dude was a great commentator.

Those days were amazing. Such a different feel. Such a different atmosphere.

Nostalgia new year.

To this day, my favorite UFC commentating team is Bruce Beck and Jeff Blatnick with either Jim Brown or a guest fighter on the third mic. Beck and Blatnick were the best. Beck was a super professional with a great, classic radio voice and Blatnick was an Olympic athlete with experience calling fights from his time calling wrestling for NBC, plus he genuinely loved the sport, would roll with the fighters to learn more about BJJ and catch wrestling. Good times.

On the flip side, how many times did fighters get out of line? How many times was there a Gomi/Azeredo situation where the ref couldn't stop a fighter from continuing to hit a defenseless opponent? In over a decade, BJM's only "control" blemish is the Tank/Cabbage fiasco at UFC 45. But especially in those early years, when plenty of people could've easily died in there, you needed that bouncer/cop energy.

And he never landed any "cheap shots" on fighters. The worst was when he forearmed Brian Johnston at UFC 11. But that was because (a) BJM knew that they had bad blood going in and so he was really on his toes to make sure shit didn't get out of hand and (b) because he freaked out when he saw how badly Johnston had busted up his face and so he stopped the fight with more haste than usual. Johnston didn't care, though, and after the fight, he was still pissed at Nesri for his shit talk and he was yelling at him on the ground, not at BJM. It was a whole lotta nothing. But, again, BJM was literally the one and only ref for a million years and a million fights. Every single fighter's safety was in his hands. I'd say he handled his duties remarkably.

I suspect what ultimately lost him the decisions though and the problem thoughout a lot of his career is that he was too passive.

Yep. It was all a game for points to him, never a fight. He always looked to touch gloves and smile, like he made a cool basket or hit a home run, when he should've been looking to take people's heads off. He had no killer instinct.

I remember someone describing that fight (Mezger vs. Macias I think?) as like watching the lead singers of Winger and Cinderella (80s hair metal bands) duking it out. Fun times.

His opponent for that long hair battle was Jason Fairn. Macias trained with Guy when Oleg was there training with Ken and the boys (hence the Oleg/Macias business) but he and Guy never fought.

I think Ken would have put him into a living death had they fought that night.

Oh, unquestionably. That was Ken during his blown-up WWF days when he was around 250 pounds of muscle. He was also still training his guys, so he was still pretty sharp. Around that time, Mark Coleman had gone to train with Ken at the Lion's Den and Ken handled Coleman. He would've chewed Tito up and spit him out.

Oh, unquestionably. That was Ken during his blown-up WWF days when he was around 250 pounds of muscle. He was also still training his guys, so he was still pretty sharp. Around that time, Mark Coleman had gone to train with Ken at the Lion's Den and Ken handled Coleman. He would've chewed Tito up and spit him out.
I've always said this, too. Look how well Ken did wrestling against Dan Severn (260-pound D1 wrestler) in the mid-90s. And Tito wouldn't even wrestle Ken at HW years later. Of course Ken, after years of NHB and pro wrestling (and a 4-year layoff when MMA really progressed), didn't have anything for Tito in his 40s after a weight cut to 205. Tito was at least 10 years younger, in his prime and a master weight cutter. But HW Ken circa 1996 was a different beast.

Back