Media Tony Ferguson Looking Like he's About to Star in the Matrix

Who remembers when he used to win the odd fight?
giphy.gif

I love Tony but he is definitely going to end up as the old man in no shirt people see shadow-boxing on the median of the highway until the police arrive.

Yeah honestly Tony did fairly well age-wise, once you're 37 it's 100% over as a top LW, doesn't matter who you are.... you're lucky to be good until 35/36

I can't think of a single example of someone at 37 beating top guys at LW or below
I agree, and have been saying this about Tony since before the Gaethje fight although it was an unpopular opinion then. As for your example, someone could bring up Urijah Faber KO'ing Ricky Simon....though I don't think Simon is a "top guy." Once in a blue moon, an old guy may get a KO because as the saying goes, this is MMA and anyone can get caught. But I've never seen a fighter 35 or older be consistently elite at LW or below. Michael Chandler just turned 35 so we'll see what happens with him. I believe the oldest champ for LW/FW/BW in the UFC was Sean Sherk at 34 and he only held the belt a few months before BJ beat him.

i think, historically (boxing) guys also move up in weight DUE to age. As in, there arent old guys at lower weights because it gets harder to keep the weight off. If they keep fighting until 40 they have likely moved up a div or two (or many in boxing)
That's more feasible in boxing if you're a really skilled fighter (like Sugar Ray Leonard). In MMA it's more difficult because there are more dimensions to the sport. A really skilled LW striker would have to face a huge wrestler like Usman at WW. Or a really good wrestler, who doesn't have great striking defense, will face a much bigger striker with more KO power in a higher weight class.

I agree, and have been saying this about Tony since before the Gaethje fight although it was an unpopular opinion then. As for your example, someone could bring up Urijah Faber KO'ing Ricky Simon....though I don't think Simon is a "top guy." Once in a blue moon, an old guy may get a KO because as the saying goes, this is MMA and anyone can get caught. But I've never seen a fighter 35 or older be consistently elite at LW or below. Michael Chandler just turned 35 so we'll see what happens with him. I believe the oldest champ for LW/FW/BW in the UFC was Sean Sherk at 34 and he only held the belt a few months before BJ beat him.
Yeah and they specifically made that match to favor Faber

Chandler will fall off soon, everyone does

It's sad that hes done as a fighter. The Gatje fight took a big piece of him that he never got back. Also time, he was in a deep division, probably the deepest facing nothing but killers and hes what. 37, 38? Its TIME to retire.
I think he believes he still has a chance to be world champion. He was Interim champion twice? He must feel like the unluckiest guy in the world , having almost fought for belt 3 times and sheer bad luck prevented it.

Would a win over somebody like Chandler get him another crack at the title?

It must be amazing to be so irrelevant and egotistical but still have people on mma forums talk about you endlessly.

Imagine being this much of a hater about people showing one of the most entertaining fighters of all time some love.

Relax sherbro

Love watching Tony Ferguson and he is a gem in this sport.

Back