Media Tony Ferguson Releases Statement “Far From Retired”

Team put together on 3 weeks notice...

"Thanks for not deserting me"

Ouch - that alone speaks volumes...

Remember when MMA Media were praising Tony for cutting weight (without there being a fight) for some reason? Can somebody tell this Tony kid to grow up and do smart things?

I’m skeptical he can bounce back, but Tony is a one of a kind guy, so I won’t be shocked if he proves me wrong.
War Tony

Why are you even doubting? How the hell can he bounce back???? Its downhill from here

Why are you even doubting? How the hell can he bounce back???? Its downhill from here
Is this your first time watching a successful fighter lose or something? Get off it mate. He’s obviously declined, but he’s also a very capable fighter and a bounce back with some lower ranked guys isn’t unrealistic

Why mention it to the world if it's merely personal constructive criticism?
I think it's more aimed towards his fans than everyone, the people who want the best for him and might be curious as to what he could do differently next time. The whole post is very self reflective and honest, I don't think he's trying to be an ass hole.

That arm looks beyond fucked, can't even get it straight, I hope he didn't really hit pads after the fight.

He definitely looks slower & older than when he fought Thomson & RDA, but there are still winnable fights for him at 155.

Give him Felder or Yaquinta next, I think he can still beat them, even if he looks like George Sotiropoulos now.

He is one of those guys you just cant count out. But maybe a little time off and get back to what he does , he'll have one more run. No doubt about it he is the epitome of mma toughness

They need to give him some serious lower ranked opponents. It is possible he can regain his confidence but the UFC has to rebuild him with matchmaking
He was given a much lower ranked opponent. Charles was only scraping into the top ten from beating Lee, who was a contentious guy to be in the top 10 at LW anyway by that point.

I said it a million times prior to the Giathje fight, but Tony's style isn't sustainable in longevity terms. He's brazenly goes into hot water on the feet and on the ground, and we've all seen his training videos. At 36, it can't be expected that he can maintain that sort of training regime and fight IQ without getting out-worked as he gets older.

It might sound pessimistic, but I don't think Tony handles top 5 guys again from here. He'll still break guys hovering in the top 10, but his balls-to-the-wall style was bound to get figured out, and it has been twice in a row.

I think it's more aimed towards his fans than everyone, the people who want the best for him and might be curious as to what he could do differently next time. The whole post is very self reflective and honest, I don't think he's trying to be an ass hole.

If that's the way you interpret it as a fan of Tony, that's cool. I'm just interpreting it my way too.

And I never at any time insulted the man, and certainly never called him an asshole. It just sounds like words he should have kept inside, to me. That first paragraph of the tweet. About the pre fight routine.

To simplify it, he’s saying he’s not done.

Maybe he won’t be title contending anymore but he’s still one of the best LW’s to ever do it and he can still make six figure paychecks fighting for UFC and providing the fans with great entertainment.

Let the man make his money and take care of his family.

Honestly, I respect his mindset, but it didn't look like an off-night. I see another legend collecting a string of defeats before retiring due to father time..

If that's the way you interpret it as a fan of Tony, that's cool. I'm just interpreting it my way too.

And I never at any time insulted the man, and certainly never called him an asshole. It just sounds like words he should have kept inside, to me. That first paragraph of the tweet. About the pre fight routine.
Yeah fair dooze.

I wasn't suggesting you called him an asshole, but if he was full of excuses like you did suggest then that'd be pretty ass holey behaviour, from a dude who is known for some pretty shitty arrogant comments from time to time, this I don't think is one of them...

He explicitly says multiple times "not an excuse", "that's on me", quest for "greatness"(suggesting he's not great yet) .. Du Bronx was "slick", enjoyed his style etc... I just don't see this as anything but a warm post, with a generous amount of self belief, which he'd be crazy not to have as an MMA fighter, never mind the fact this is Tony we are talking about here.

You want an example of excuses go see Suga Sean.

Back