Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Drones are bullshit. The real Top Gun school still exists to this day, and STILL teaches dogfighting. So what the fuck is this bullshit?!

One aspect that made the original so amazing was the use of actual fighter jets. How much do you want to bet CGI jets/drones are used in this one?

How much do you want to bet that this movie looks/feels/sounds NOTHING like the original? Therefore it is a sequel in name only.

My hope is that it will be a situation where some political asshole is totally sold on the drone program, but then a crisis occurs and the drones don't get the job done. So they have to realize the error of their ways and send up real pilots to kick some ass.

As for your concerns about CGI, I have the same concerns as well. I hope to God that's not the direction they go in. But this statement from the article at least gives me hope: "I think this is a movie that should be in 3-D and in IMAX, and again something that you can shoot practically."

It does seem like there is a lot of danger here for the movie to turn into, as you say, "a sequel in name only." But it seems like they realize that this is really Maverick's movie and that at least is encouraging.

My hope is that it will be a situation where some political asshole is totally sold on the drone program, but then a crisis occurs and the drones don't get the job done. So they have to realize the error of their ways and send up real pilots to kick some ass.

As for your concerns about CGI, I have the same concerns as well. I hope to God that's not the direction they go in. But this statement from the article at least gives me hope: "I think this is a movie that should be in 3-D and in IMAX, and again something that you can shoot practically."

It does seem like there is a lot of danger here for the movie to turn into, as you say, "a sequel in name only." But it seems like they realize that this is really Maverick's movie and that at least is encouraging.

Yeah, I'm happy about that. I just hope they do what they did the first time and actually work alongside the US Navy and have their pilots choreograph all the aireal stuff, exactly like the first time.

And your idea actually sounds pretty damn good. Hopefully it turns out like that.

I've seen Top Gun more than 100 times. If the sequel is about drones I'll just watch the original again.

The only way drones would is if they build it around drones that are supposed to make manned aircraft obsolete and then they get hacked/hijacked/stolen, etc... by the bad guys and its up to Maverick and Iceman(the only humans that could possibly match the program the drones use) to stop it. Sure its generic but better than no iceman and maverick.

I just read your first paragraph after I posted, but I think we are on a similiar track.

All political/territorial disputes will be settled by beach volleyball.

I thought Stealth was "Topgun2"?

I kid, but expect TG2 to be similar to it.

I like Stealth BTW.

TOPGUN is on netflix!!!!

I like Stealth BTW.

I actually think Stealth is kind of underrated. It's not a great movie, but it's not nearly as bad as some people have made it out to be. It's certainly nowhere near Top Gun, of course.

If Val Kilmer's in this they're going to have to get their best engineers on board to widen the cockpit for him.

TOPGUN is on netflix!!!!

You should watch that shit.

I actually own it on Blu-Ray and VHS. And I have a digital copy. I have made sure that if I need to watch Top Gun, I will be able to.

If Val Kilmer's in this they're going to have to get their best engineers on board to widen the cockpit for him.

I know that he's expressed interest. The thing is, the weight can be lost but no matter how you slice it Tom Cruise has simply aged much better than Kilmer and that will show on screen. If it's going to be done right, they both need to come off as older versions of their younger hotshot selves and I'm not sure if Kilmer can do that.

You should watch that shit.

I actually own it on Blu-Ray and VHS. And I have a digital copy. I have made sure that if I need to watch Top Gun, I will be able to.

I am watching it. I have it on Betamax and VHS but don't have any way to play those versions...lol

When I did my first home theatre way back in the day, Top Gun was the first movie I would always play to show people how awesome surround sound was, great flick

I think Cruise will stick to real jets, he seems to like realism in his stunts rather than cgi, or at least limits it

Back