• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Toughest person you know?

Depends on the context. Tough can mean different things. I know many people who are tough in different ways.

Tough-kitten-kittens-36522245-500-742.jpg

When I was a kid one of the dads on my soccer team was a longshoreman. He had a reputation because one night he heard voices outside his house, went outside and caught some high school/college aged guys pissing on his truck. He knocked them all out, one of whom ended up in a wheelchair. He eventually got banned from coming to our games after he tuned up one of the dads on another team.

The guy was 6'3" ish and had hands like baseball mitts. A legit tough guy with a serious crazy side.

My dad was tough. The driveway at his house had a pretty good slope and one winter day he went to get the mail, slipped, fell and broke his leg. He crawled to the house up the steps and knocked on the door. My mother didn't see him the first time she went to the door. She opened the door, he crawled inside and told her he broke his leg. My mother was a Registered Nurse who started her career in orthopedic surgery. he looked at his leg and both the tibia and fibula were broken. She told him she was calling an ambulance. He told her to wait until he cleaned up, shaved and changed clothes.

My mom called when he was in surgery and I met her at the hospital. The surgeon told us that they were torsion breaks and they had trouble finding plates because his bones were so big. He said he didn't think bones that big could break. Because the leg was so swollen, they couldn't close the incision. The next day the orthopedic surgeon took a skin graft from his other leg to fill the gap. If you ever need a skin graft, get a plastic surgeon to do it because the orthopedic surgeon cut too deep and they almost had to graft skin where he took the graft from.

Due to the swelling, they couldn't put a cast on it so they got the largest walking boot they could and had to cut the toe off it to fit his foot.

You guys are like a bunch of 5 year olds listing your dads.

My dad was an intimidating guy, not one to fuck with, but one of my friends that wrestled took 2nd in states. He would have kicked my dad's ass I'm sure, as well as all your dads.

Doug Blubaugh, he died in a motorcycle wreck a couple of years ago. Danny Hodge, only met him a few times, he is about 80 miles from me.

My dad was an intimidating guy, not one to fuck with, but one of my friends that wrestled took 2nd in states. He would have kicked my dad's ass I'm sure, as well as all your dads.

My dad's too, but I'd kick your friend's ass.

Probably my wife. She can take an Arturro Gatti-esque beating when dinner isn't ready by the time I get home.

my dad did 3 tours in Vietnam and was a boxer in the military

probably me, or my cousin. My cousin actually he fought in iraq and afganistan and seen soem serious shit.

For me is my mother, she had nothing when she was a child and she worked to have everything she have now, she is always working in like 2 or 3 jobs her entire like, she have 2 degrees and a couple of master too, she alone alone raised me and my other two sisters and gave us the best education and live she could afford and many, many other things.

Sometimes she is upset and mad but she usually is very joyful and helpful person, also considering she have deal with all the shit me and my other two sister have done in the past is a truly admirable, I learned from her that the love of a mother is one of the biggest things in the world

When I think of the toughest people I lean towards the old coal miners in upstate Pennsylvania or the east coast steel workers that worked their asses of 16 hours a day in other worldly conditions well before OSHA was ever around. A lot of these guys also shipped out to protect the country in the 1940's. I'm a couple generations from them but this is what my grandfather and his brothers did.

my grandfather in denmark

was in the danish army, then military police

had to go underground for 2 years during ww2

became a dog trainer (raised his kids the same way)

finally a driving instructor who went be the name 'ryebread' - all my friends parents took their test from him and he failed everyone the first time

in his 60's he deiced to do hiking or treks - would often go to switzerland to go hiking 100's of miles

Grandfather. Fought for the soviets in WWII. Spent the majority of the war in a POW camp, escaped, but was recaptured, and finally freed by the Americans. He spent almost 2 years on an American base in Austria recovering from malnutrition. Dude lived to be 96.

That's badass. My grandfather was with 101st in Nam. Wounded twice in hamburger hill, first night after losing most of his platoon he and his friends were on edge watching the wire. They hear a maddening screaming and they open fire on the tree line, shooting flares and opening fire with everything they got, thinking the whole vc army is coming after them.

Next day the survey the carnage. The battlefield littered with dead monkeys. So to save face.. They ate the monkeys.

The first day he caught a round to the side of the neck, but stayed. Second day on hamburger hill an Rpg blew apart a three next to him. He was pronounced dead and managed to survive.

He managed to become a prominent psychologist and professor in Oklahoma, he married a brain surgeon. He got cancer from the agent orange and during surgery, one in which he was basically sure to die, he survived.

During his surgery his wife at the time took everything. When he finished surgery he sat outside calling his wife to no avail. He taxied home and found her and everything gone. He didn't call to complain, he was just thankful to be alive and tended to his garden.

The cancer flared up several times and each time he beat it until now. We always knew how bad he was doing when his garden would suffer, so I would always go help him with his garden. He never once let us see him in pain. Shooing everyone away when he would fall to his knees in agony, clutching the cross he wore around his neck and thanking God to be alive every time.

He taught me what it is to love food, and how important it is to spend time with the ones you love. He married the sweetheart of his youth and even though he's terminal they spend every day together. Cooking every night and silently reading together.

He's the bravest man I know, and he's terminal, His biggest concern in my life is that I'm unhappy and don't know how to be happy, so I'm doing my damndest to make him proud before he dies.

Back