• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Training in Paris!

JayoM

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey,

I know this is in English, but hey, English is foreign language in most countries so I guess it qualifies ;) Anyway, to the point. I'm moving to Paris at the start of April and I'm looking to start doing some training over there - hopefully not only will I learn some martial art but also help me learn some French too!

I was planning on finding a Muay Thai gym to train with because I've done a small bit of it here and love it. But I'm not opposed to trying some other stuff out either, like Savate, Judo or maybe some Sambo. Anybody have any recommendations? And what are the prices for classes like there?

Cheers,
Jason.

For Muay Thai, I'd recommend checking out Haute tension or the Kongo Smashing Club. Haute tension is where Diabat

Thanks for the info, bud! I was wondering why I couldn't find many Savate clubs when searching online. I'm only going to be in Paris for 6 months, so want to make the most of it. Only other problem at the moment is actually finding somewhere to stay! Cheers again, might be training with you soon ;-)

Was able to book a flight cheap in june.
Will head to Kongo's club this summer.
See you there.

Finally arrived, living close Canal Saint Martin, in between Louis Blanc and Stalingrad metros. Any recommendation of clubs around that area? This would be a lot easier if I could speak any French :p

Here's a complete list of clubs in Paris :

MUAYTHAITV - Les clubs

Guess the one in the 18th or 20th must be the closest but see for yourself !

Again, if you wanna grab a drink some time next week, send me a pm!

Thanks for the list, big help! Red's Gym looks like it could be a winner, nice choice of styles going on. I'll send him a message once I get settled in and take it from there. Thanks again!

I'm all up for drinks (I am Irish ;-)), so I'll get in touch soon. Had a few drinks around town yesterday, around 7 euro a pint (don't even think it was a pint), I'm sure there must be cheaper places!

In the 10 eme., about 5 minutes walk from the Stalingrad and Louis Blanc metros, just off Rue du Fauburg Saint Martin.

Sounds good.

Go to the Chatelet area for instance, there are lots of bars not far from Notre Dame / St Germain / Montparnasse.

Just a tip in France we have what's called the Happy hour (can't remember having seen it elsewhere) where pints are almost half of their regular price. IT depends on the bars, but it usually start around 5pm and end up around 8. So we usually start drinking early. Some bars are just cheap all the time though, but 7 euros for a pint outside the happy hour is sadly a regular price now.

If you want some funny bars usually cheap Les halles is a good place to start the Rue des Lombards is where I hang out these days for instance ( and not in the gay bars Combattant, I see you smiling). Further down, near Saint michel you have the Rue Descartes which has some cool pubs as well (Hurling, Zig zag, etc...) and even further down there's the whole area between Jussieu and place monge, rue thouin, which is cool.

A bit closer to you there's r

Thanks for that. It's been hard trying to find a pub close to me like we have in Ireland, no luck so far! Will UFC 112 be shown in any pubs/bars around the city?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what about training in Toulouse? bjj, judo, sambo?

If you want some funny bars usually cheap Les halles is a good place to start the Rue des Lombards is where I hang out these days for instance ( and not in the gay bars Combattant, I see you smiling)

:icon_lol:

Thanks for that. It's been hard trying to find a pub close to me like we have in Ireland, no luck so far! Will UFC 112 be shown in any pubs/bars around the city?

I was wondering the same thing.
Maybe Bullheaded can enlighten us.

:icon_lol:

I was wondering the same thing.
Maybe Bullheaded can enlighten us.

Well maybe if we gather enough persons I could ask to put it on somwhere. Apart from that, the only place I saw an MMA event was at the hurling but the staff has changed a lot since then, don't know if they'd do it anymore...

I'd definitely go to wherever its on anyway. Let me know if ya hear of anywhere that might be showing it, don't fancy streaming it. It sucks because I already paid this months subscription for the channel it's on in Ireland!

Hah cheap and Paris are two things you will find don't go together, especially in the center. However you can find plenty of cheap bars if you look around but they are generally geared towards a student/younger crowd. If you go to a nice/reputable disco/club in the middle of Paris it's going to be 15-20euros for entry + one drink. The cheapest I've seen was maybe around 5 euros.

As far as an Irish bar specifically, I've seen plenty of them wandering around, can't recommend a specific one. Just depends what you are looking for, the more well known they are, they more packed and expensive they will be. If you just want a place to sit down and have a drink without be crowded, I suggest just going to a bar in your neighborhood. I'm sure you can probably find several within a few minutes of your place.

Also if you want hit some gay bars with Bullheaded, I suggest the Le Marais area although you will find the French are much more accepting of gays than in the U.S and you two could probably go out anywhere :p

Also if you want hit some gay bars with Bullheaded, I suggest the Le Marais area although you will find the French are much more accepting of gays than in the U.S and you two could probably go out anywhere :p

Actually I'm spending a lot of times in the Marais 'cause I'm studying in an extension of the Paris 7 university there, and the only non-straight bar that I know of is a Lesbian one, ha ha!

I don't think Jayo is looking for a good ol' pub, are you? more like a club/pub am I wrong?

Back