Training Muay Thai in Thailand (starting in Phuket) for 2 Months

Moi Boi

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm traveling to Phuket to train Muay Thai in early March and plan to stay in Thailand for 2 months. A bit about my background: I'm in my early 40's so no plan on becoming a pro, just want to improve my self defense skills, and enjoy the feeling of a solid workout and personal improvement. I have about 5 months of muay thai training, mostly 1 on 1 training with a friend who is an experienced martial artist. I have learned a lot and feel that I have improved quite a bit, but realize there is a lot of room for improvement. Going to Thailand with the main objective of improving my Muay Thai skills. I want to do some tourist type stuff as well, but Muay Thai is my main focus. I would like to do about 60-70% private 1 on 1 training, and the rest with a class.

My questions are:

1. Should I start contacting gyms in the area to make sure I have training sessions booked, or is it better to just show up to gyms and sample them and get a better idea of which gym is best for me? I'm concerned I will have limited options of where I can train, due to the good coaches already being booked.

2. Which gyms would you recommend? I plan on initially staying on Phuket's Fitness Street where most of the gyms are. I don't want to do a cardio kickboxing style of training alongside pure beginners, but I am not looking to prepare for professional fights either and be a farang punching bag. I also want to be at a gym where I get more attention, rather than be sent off to some corner and hit the bag for 30 minutes waiting for someone to tell me I'm doing a good job.

3. Any other advice, like places to stay, things to avoid, how to do an accurate analysis of a person's adam's apple, etc.?

Hey I'll try to help you out as I live in Pattaya Thailand and have train here a bit. No need to contact the gyms in advance unless you want to stay at the room at the gym. Well I've only trained at Tiger Muay Thai so can only speak to there. You wont have to worry about being sent to the corny as you will mostly be doing privates.

My advice would be to just turn up and figure it out as you go. There is no way you will be stuck for accomodation or a gym anywhere in Phuket and you don't want to be locked into something you don't like.
You won't save any money booking ahead.
Best to try a few and then decide what u want.

Hey I'll try to help you out as I live in Pattaya Thailand and have train here a bit. No need to contact the gyms in advance unless you want to stay at the room at the gym. Well I've only trained at Tiger Muay Thai so can only speak to there. You wont have to worry about being sent to the corny as you will mostly be doing privates.
Cool, I might visit Pattaya while I'm there. I'd like to try visit a couple regions in Thailand and check out different gyms. Maybe Bangkok as well. What are good gyms in Pattaya?

3. Any other advice, like places to stay, things to avoid, how to do an accurate analysis of a person's adam's apple, etc.?
Embrace the kathoeys, we wont judge.

kathoey1.png

Cool, I might visit Pattaya while I'm there. I'd like to try visit a couple regions in Thailand and check out different gyms. Maybe Bangkok as well. What are good gyms in Pattaya?
Venum is good.

Back