Training Without A Coach

wcisdoomed

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Background: I train at a bjj school in a small town. Myself and some of my training partners want to incorporate striking, mostly just because we're interested.

The problem is there is no established place to train anywhere near by. The town has a couple of TKD schools and a golden gloves program for kids. Neither fits our needs.

Some of my friends have trained in muay thai, a couple have black belts in traditional striking arts etc. So we're not starting from zero, but no one is really qualified to instruct.

Any advice? And saying "Just find a qualified coach," isn't helpful advice. I've searched, the nearest boxing and/or muay thai gyms are far away, prohibitively expensive considering we're already paying dues for bjj, etc.

Would it be helpful to get instructional videos? I've seen Ernesto Hoost videos on BJJ Fanatics for example.

Background: I train at a bjj school in a small town. Myself and some of my training partners want to incorporate striking, mostly just because we're interested.

The problem is there is no established place to train anywhere near by. The town has a couple of TKD schools and a golden gloves program for kids. Neither fits our needs.

Some of my friends have trained in muay thai, a couple have black belts in traditional striking arts etc. So we're not starting from zero, but no one is really qualified to instruct.

Any advice? And saying "Just find a qualified coach," isn't helpful advice. I've searched, the nearest boxing and/or muay thai gyms are far away, prohibitively expensive considering we're already paying dues for bjj, etc.

Would it be helpful to get instructional videos? I've seen Ernesto Hoost videos on BJJ Fanatics for example.

What you'll probably find is that you'll acquire solid theory but poor mechanics. I imagine if you study that Ernesto Hoost video, you'll probably learn the concept quite well, but will execute it poorly because you don't have a coach to correct mistakes that you can't see. If theres a group of you all checking each other, you might actually be okay.

In truth I would suggest going to the TKD class, it might not be ideal if you want Muay Thai or Boxing, but it will get you striking with a professional coach correcting your mistakes and it'll get your body used to striking. That way if the situation improves and muay thai or boxing becomes available, you'll be able to just adjust your game.

Better to start Muay Thai with a Taekwondo background than with a pure BJJ background, in my opinion as a Muay Thai coach.

contact the coaches from the golden gloves kids program and ask if you guys can chip in and pay them to coach you a few days a week

Coming from a grappling background myself, I’ve found that with striking it’s even more important to have a coach watching you spar and work on stuff.

In grappling you can kind of get a feel what’s working or not when drilling. In striking even if you’re watching yourself in the mirror I guarantee there’s some flaws you don’t see that will become very apparent when sparring.

I guess the video route might be better than nothing, but man don’t fall into thinking you have refined striking. Think about those “blue belts” that earned their belt online from the Gracie academy. Kind of the same thing.

I would try to find someone doing monthly seminars at least. Doesn't have to be anyone famous.

What you'll probably find is that you'll acquire solid theory but poor mechanics. I imagine if you study that Ernesto Hoost video, you'll probably learn the concept quite well, but will execute it poorly because you don't have a coach to correct mistakes that you can't see. If theres a group of you all checking each other, you might actually be okay.

In truth I would suggest going to the TKD class, it might not be ideal if you want Muay Thai or Boxing, but it will get you striking with a professional coach correcting your mistakes and it'll get your body used to striking. That way if the situation improves and muay thai or boxing becomes available, you'll be able to just adjust your game.

Better to start Muay Thai with a Taekwondo background than with a pure BJJ background, in my opinion as a Muay Thai coach.

Good call!

I have done kickboxing ( both Thai and American) and I have recently gotten in to Tang Soo Do/Taekwondo with a legit trainer with fighting experience. Taekwondo is no joke, people can get hurt real badly. I know it has a reputation of it being some weak ass point fighting but it is 100 legit martial arts. The flexibility, the jumping, the spinning and the bouncing will give you tons of cardio and coordination that will have a trickling down effect in other arts for the best.

how much training in those TMAs and MT?
If not much I’d say just bite the bullet and go to the TKD place. You can work on good solid sparring on your own.
Just curious but how serious are you guys about wanting to learn the striking?

Back