True Detective

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Because of sherdogs overwhelming recommendation in the "best first season of a show ever" thread I gave True Detective S1 a shot and well, it did not disappoint in the LEAST. Binged watched it in two days.

The reviews/ratings for season 2 are pretty poor. Season 3 slightly better than 2, but it seems neither holds a candle to S1 from what I'm reading. What do you guys think? Season 2+3 still worth a watch at all? What about if I skip 2 and watch 3, would I miss anything or is each season completely separate and its own world?

Pls advise

First time I watched this show I watched until the final episode then my dog stepped on my controller and caused the episode to skip to

Matthew getting stabbed by the bad guy

:rustled:

I think season 2 got a poor rating because it was a letdown compare to season 1. If season 2 of true detective exist as its own entity by another name, I think it would have gotten a fairer take.

season 1 is for sure in a league of its own, but its also the only season to have a single director in charge of every episode (cary fukanaga), so as a series it feels more cohesive. Season 2 gets a lot of undeserved hate imo. It has plenty of faults to be sure but is still an interesting watch. Same with season 3. They are both inconsistent at times but still interesting enough to warrant a watch imo. If you go in not expecting a repeat of the first season you'll have a better time.

Season 2 is...amusing, at just how silly it all is. You can't tell if Vince Vaughn is playing a mob boss straight, or for kicks. Season 3 is okay, but very dull.

I think they caught lightning in a bottle with the first season. The disappointment of it's ho-hum wrap up, carried over to the rest of the series.

Season 2 is...amusing, at just how silly it all is. You can't tell if Vince Vaughn is playing a mob boss straight, or for kicks. Season 3 is okay, but very dull.

I think they caught lightning in a bottle with the first season. The disappointment of it's ho-hum wrap up, carried over to the rest of the series.
Hmm, maybe Ill give Hannibal a go instead. Seen that?

Ive seen The Outsider, Dexter, The Night Of, Mindhunter

Hmm, maybe Ill give Hannibal a go instead. Seen that?

Ive seen The Outsider, Dexter, The Night Of, Mindhunter

"Hannibal" is excellent. First few episodes are a bit disjointed, because I don't think they knew what they had, but when it settles in, it's amazing. One of the better series' out there. It is awesome, and I totally recommend skipping True Detective's other seasons for it.

Quit watching after season 2 even season 1 is massively overrated it didn't even have a great ending and it had some mcguffins it didn't explain in the end seasons 1 villain was lame in the end. Season 2 was unintentional humor from Colin Farrell bullying people, rachel McAdams being a toxic broad, the token gay story line from the other cop to show a penis and vince Vaughn being cheesy with his lines.
true-detective-season-2-quote-hunger.jpg

Give season 4 a chance when it comes out, don't bother with 2 or 3.

Because of sherdogs overwhelming recommendation in the "best first season of a show ever" thread I gave True Detective S1 a shot and well, it did not disappoint in the LEAST. Binged watched it in two days.

The reviews/ratings for season 2 are pretty poor. Season 3 slightly better than 2, but it seems neither holds a candle to S1 from what I'm reading. What do you guys think? Season 2+3 still worth a watch at all? What about if I skip 2 and watch 3, would I miss anything or is each season completely separate and its own world?

Pls advise

Season 2 is good. It has a lot of scenes that are very well acted. The entire cast did a great job but the script needed a few more revisions. I would give season 2 like a 7 or 8. It is above average but not as good as season 1.

Season 3 is a very tightly written but it doesn't have the same creepiness as season 1 and paces slower. I would give season 3 an 8-8.5.

Season 1 was an absolutely some of the best pulp noir on television and I would give it a 9.5. The ending is the only thing I have to complain about but everything else was amazing.

I personally enjoyed all three. I think if they're just taken in on they're own as one offs instead maybe compare/contrasting might help.
Vince was a tad cheesy, and S2 is the low point if compared, but thats ok. I felt Mershala Ali in S3 was excellent personally.
The only thing that really disappointed me was what the story in 3 ended up being wasn't nearly as nefarious as I thought it led me to believe it would be.

I think season 2 got a poor rating because it was a letdown compare to season 1. If season 2 of true detective exist as its own entity by another name, I think it would have gotten a fairer take.
Season 2 sucked bigfoots dick.

S2 isn't as bad as some are claiming. It's just underwhelming compared to the other seasons, and ends up feeling more like a generic cop drama. 7/10

S3 is a good watch, and bings back some of the uniqueness and charm of S1, albeit without the great individual scenes that S1 had. 8/10

Season 1 of True Detective is one of the greatest seasons for any show. It could very well be the greatest. So you are bound to get disappointed no matter what. The bar was set so high, the other seasons will never reach it.

Even the Jodie Foster one coming up, which I think will be good. We will see.

Pls advise

Might be my contrarian streak, but I actually liked season 2 better than season 1. Though it was an eternity since I watched them, so I would be hardpressed to put forth a strong argument as to why, but IIRC, then it had a greater number of character arcs, all of which I actually enjoyed more than the ones in season 1. On that note, the thing about season 1 that stuck out was really, in my opinion, the peculiar atmosphere more than anything else, and since season 2 lacked it entirely, a lot of people were upset. If you decied to watch season 2, then know that whether good or bad, it's really nothing like season 1 either way.

Season 1 and season 3 are top. Amazing. Fine art

Season 2 was average

Season 4 will be amazing. Cant wait for it to air

Season 1 some of the best tv ive ever watched

You still having that numbness?

Back