Turok : The Dinosaur Hunter Remastered

HHJ

Herbs to Curbs
@plutonium
Reaction score
I owned the original game back when it was released in 1997 on the n64 and I beat it,but I only remember bits and pieces of it now. I do remember loving this game and playing it alot. Started playing the remaster on the switch,and it actually does look pretty good. All the character models are the same but they spruced up the clarity,and most of the Fog is gone,and this is one thing that really changes the game,and actually makes it more difficult! Before, whatever the fog obscured,blocked the enemies' vision as well. Now... fuck...! These are MASSIVE open levels,and now the enemies can see you from a hundred feet away and shoot at you w perfect aim!

The graphics look damned good on the switch and it moves fast as fuck,like the old game on cocaine...although as of yet,I've not put it on the big screen. The game is alot of fun and plays alot like Doom,but with WAY more exploration. The enemies constantly respawn which keeps the high stakes gameplay super hectic,but sometimes you just have to avoid fighting because the ammo in this game is pretty sparse,and your health is constantly being wittled down by guys taking pot shots at you from really far away. Dying in this game is a big fuckin deal. It can set you back alot.

I got all three Turok remasters,but I'm trying to play them one at a time. The in game map in this game is of very little help cos you can only see the part of the map your actually on,and not the rest of the level,and the stages are like humongous hour long affairs,if you lose what very little amount of lives your given,the game is over,and theres maybe 2 checkpoints and savepoints in the entire level,so its very easy to lose alot of progress when you die.

I mean LOOK at these fuckin maps!

16217.png

I still reccomend this for people who lookin for hi octane aggressive shooter gaming mixed in with alot of exploration.

Like the original there is alot of amazing cheats in this game,but i'm trying not to fuck w that and am playing the game proper. I beat it back then,but the lack of fog,really makes it alot harder,as you do get cheap shotted by stuff you simply couldnt avoid because of the constant and seemingly random respawn times of some of the enemies using long range weapons. Any other Turok fans from back in the fuckin day?

Last edited:
Loved the original, always was a Turok 2 man, myself though.

Playing through on the N64 with all that fucking fog was what stayed with me lol. Might given the remaster a try.

I was a huge fan back in the day and I still can’t believe that I’m only now finding out there was a third game. I never remember there being one. It’s truly bizarre…

I loved it as a kid, but I can't imagine it's aged all that well. It was just one of those games that was cool, because it was a shooter with with some top notch gore. On the N64 no less. We played the fuck out of all those games, despite their shortcomings. I remember loving "Haxen" as well. Wouldn't want to go back to them, though.

I loved it as a kid, but I can't imagine it's aged all that well. It was just one of those games that was cool, because it was a shooter with with some top notch gore. On the N64 no less. We played the fuck out of all those games, despite their shortcomings. I remember loving "Haxen" as well. Wouldn't want to go back to them, though.
I thought so too,but im actually enjoying it. Playing it with a normal controller at top speed is a blast. Its really fun to play,despite how frustratingly hard it can be sometimes. This is mostly due to the fact that,it is based on alot of exploration,but because the enemies constantly respawn,you have to some times choose to not fight them...but due to the vast openness of the levels,you will take hits that you simply cannot avoid or see coming,which kind of goes against its own nature,so to speak. Sometimes it will literally drop enemies from the sky and they all make suicidal charges at you if they dont have long range guns. Still,its fun enough that im determined to beat this game's bitch ass.

Loved the original, always was a Turok 2 man, myself though.

Playing through on the N64 with all that fucking fog was what stayed with me lol. Might given the remaster a try.
Turok 2 came late in the n64's life and required the expansion pack to play. I absolutley enjoyed it and the Cerebral Bore is legendary,but never beat it. Im gonna go after it,when im done with this one.

The Turok games were legendary... for the control scheme on the bizarre N64 controller.

Yellow directional buttons on the right side for movement & the stick was to aim.

For some reason Goldeneye felt more natural with moving back and forth & turning left and right with the control stick, and straffing with the right & left directional buttons.

Thankfully Halo set the standard for control schemes that we still use today 21 years later.

As for Turok, I played the 1st & 2nd, and I thought the 3rd was some kind of arena shooter with bots. I think I bought it but only played it for like a hour.

They're not the types of games I think I'd enjoy going back to play. They were fine for that era but they're ancient by today's standards.

Off-Subject - Anyone else play Perfect Dark on the XBoxOne recently? The directional sensitivity for aiming is the absolute worst I have ever played and its not adjustable, so its practically unplayable. Anyway I did play the first 4 missions and they weren't fun at all, even if the sensitivity was reasonable I doubt it be much more fun.

The Turok games were legendary... for the control scheme on the bizarre N64 controller.

Yellow directional buttons on the right side for movement & the stick was to aim.

For some reason Goldeneye felt more natural with moving back and forth & turning left and right with the control stick, and straffing with the right & left directional buttons.

Thankfully Halo set the standard for control schemes that we still use today 21 years later.

As for Turok, I played the 1st & 2nd, and I thought the 3rd was some kind of arena shooter with bots. I think I bought it but only played it for like a hour.

They're not the types of games I think I'd enjoy going back to play. They were fine for that era but they're ancient by today's standards.

Off-Subject - Anyone else play Perfect Dark on the XBoxOne recently? The directional sensitivity for aiming is the absolute worst I have ever played and its not adjustable, so its practically unplayable. Anyway I did play the first 4 missions and they weren't fun at all, even if the sensitivity was reasonable I doubt it be much more fun.
Goldeneye utilized alot of auto aim. To actually aim manually and accurately you had to stop moving to use the target reticule. It was easier but...it was hand holding too.

Turok doesn't help you w anything hahaha. Your on your own.

Turok 2 came late in the n64's life and required the expansion pack to play. I absolutley enjoyed it and the Cerebral Bore is legendary,but never beat it. Im gonna go after it,when im done with this one.
I played through the Turok 2 remaster last year and really enjoyed it. Some archaic game design but still a fun time and the improved visuals and controls were welcome.

Reactions: HHJ
Loved Turok back on N64, probably one of my favorite games ever at the time

Anyone play the Turok reboot on PS3, man that was one of the ugliest games ever, everything was just green, it was pretty fun though, forgettable but action packed

Loved Turok back on N64, probably one of my favorite games ever at the time

Anyone play the Turok reboot on PS3, man that was one of the ugliest games ever, everything was just green, it was pretty fun though, forgettable but action packed
At the time that shit was amazing. When you shot a raptor in the neck and they spazzed the fuck out.

Back