Television TV Show Thread

So The Nevers. Im usually wary of female led shows cause they tend to be man hatey. Hows this one in that regard?

So The Nevers. Im usually wary of female led shows cause they tend to be man hatey. Hows this one in that regard?
There's going to be some female empowerment involved but due to the archaic male-dominant period, you don't mind as much or it's not as annoying if it was set in modern times. Plus, everybody loves an outcast underdog. Three episodes in, it's enjoyable so far. It's like a Victorian-era X-Men with two compelling female leads.

It's Joss Whedon, it's always going to be female led. And that has nothing to do with inclusivity or what have you at the moment. he's always done it. Potentially because he's a complete asshole to women in real life.

That fight in the water was terrific.

That ending was shocking. I thought we would see more of that character.
He's always managed to pull some shockers. At least now I don't run into a ton of spoilers because they used to air in the UK ages after they did here.

It's Joss Whedon, it's always going to be female led. And that has nothing to do with inclusivity or what have you at the moment. he's always done it. Potentially because he's a complete asshole to women in real life.
Not really a joss whedon follower so don't know anything about his shows other than Firefly.
I guess my question was this: is there alot of "man bad, woman good" stuff?

First Look at Michael C. Hall in New Teaser Trailer for Showtime's DEXTER Limited Series

America's favorite serial killer Dexter Morgan is back on SHOWTIME in a new 10-episode limited series coming this fall. Starring Michael C. Hall. The new Dexter Limited Series premiering in 2021.

Official Trailer for CASTLEVANIA Season 4; Premieres on May 13, 2021 on Netflix

Dracula's influence looms large as Belmont and Sypha investigate plans to resurrect the notorious vampire. Alucard struggles to embrace his humanity.

Robert Kirkman's INVINCIBLE Animated Series Renewed for Seasons 2 and 3 at Amazon

ZMor7ZM.jpg

Amazon's Invincible has proven impervious to cancellation, at least for now. The tech giant has renewed the animated series, based on a comic by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead), Cory Walker and Ryan Ottley, for two more seasons. The pickup will take the show through its third season.

"I'm extremely thankful to Amazon for the support and dedication they've put behind Invincible," said Kirkman. “The comic book is truly a love letter to a genre that Cory and I grew up reading and loving, and it's been a gratifying journey to watch our characters come to life again through the animated series. We're beyond excited to continue this story for at least two more seasons."

The renewal for Invincible comes a day before its eight-episode first season concludes. The series centers on the 17-year-old son (voiced by Walking Dead alum and Minari star Steven Yeun) of a powerful superhero (J.K. Simmons) who starts to manifest powers of his own.

The cast also includes Sandra Oh, Seth Rogen, Gillian Jacobs, Andrew Rannells, Mark Hamill, Walton Goggins, Jason Mantzoukas, Zachary Quinto, Mahershala Ali, Melise, Kevin Michael Richardson, Grey Griffin and Khary Payton.

"Invincible is a crowning example of how a fresh and edgy approach to the superhero genre can resonate with audiences around the globe, and we're so glad that Invincible, one of our earliest investments in the adult animation genre, has accomplished just that," said Vernon Sanders, co-head of television at Amazon Studios. "Robert's no-holds-barred storytelling coupled with a first-class voice cast delivered on fans' wildest expectations, and we’re thrilled to be giving them more Invincible."

The series made its first appearance in Nielsen's streaming rankings for the week of March 29-April 4, finishing 10th among original shows on Amazon, Disney+, Hulu and Netflix.

Skybound produces Invincible. Kirkman executive produces with Simon Racioppa, David Alpert and Catherine Winder. Jeff Allen is supervising director.

American Horror Story's Finn Wittrock to Star as Guy Gardner in GREEN LANTERN Series for HBO Max

SLb74hp.jpg

Finn Wittrock is joining the DC universe. The American Horror Story and Ratched actor has be cast in a key starring role in HBO Max's upcoming Green Lantern series.

Wittrock will play Guy Gardner, one of the many Green Lantern characters that will be featured in the big-budget drama from exec producer Greg Berlanti and Warner Bros. TV. In recent decades the character has been portrayed in the comics as a parody of a militant, macho American hero. The HBO Max character is described as "a hulking mass of masculinity, and, as rendered in the comics, an embodiment of 1980s hyper-patriotism. And yet, Guy is somehow likable."

Here's the official show description: "Green Lantern reinvents the classic DC property through a story spanning decades and galaxies, beginning on Earth in 1941 with the very first Green Lantern, secretly gay FBI agent Alan Scott, and 1984, with cocky alpha male Guy Gardner and half-alien Bree Jarta. They'll be joined by a multitude of other Lanterns — from comic book favorites to never-before-seen heroes."

Sources say Berlanti's camp had a conversation with Ryan Murphy as Wittrock is attached as the male lead on season two of the latter creator's Ratched drama for Netflix. Murphy is said to have agreed to let Wittrock prioritize Green Lantern as a return date for production on season two of Ratched has not yet been determined. Green Lantern is expected to begin filming this year.

Casting for Alan Scott is also expected to be announced shortly as a deal with an actor is on the cusp of closing. HBO Max's Green Lantern, per sources, will be the most expensive show that Arrow-verse architect Berlanti has produced in his career.

Berlanti, Seth Grahame-Smith (The Lego Batman Movie) and Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, 2011's Green Lantern feature film) are credited as writers on the series, with the Grahame-Smith set as showrunner on Green Lantern. DC's Geoff Johns, Berlanti Productions partner Sarah Schechter and head of TV David Madden also exec produce alongside David Katzenberg and co-EPs Elizabeth Hunter and Sara Saedi.

The drama is one of multiple DC Comics titles in the works for WarnerMedia-backed HBO Max. There's also a Suicide Squad spinoff focused on Peacemaker (John Cena) also being developed, as well as a series about the Gotham City police department which also has ties to Matt Reeves' forthcoming The Batman. J.J. Abrams is also working on multiple other DC Comics titles, including Justice League Dark.

Wittrock recently wrapped filming season 10 of Murphy's FX anthology American Horror Story. He will next be seen opposite Amanda Seyfried in Sony feature A Mouthful of Air and Ben Affleck vehicle Deep Water. His credits include Judy, If Beale Street Could Talk, The Big Short and in Murphy's American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace and The Normal Heart.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/finn-wittrock-to-star-in-green-lantern-on-hbo-max

I was looking forward to this, but left disappointed.
It's okay, but it is too Japanese in style. The story is based on a true one, and it is very interesting, so I had hoped they would have focused more on that story.
Unfortunately, they went the usual, bland anime route...just with a black guy as the lead.
6.5/10

I was looking forward to this, but left disappointed.
It's okay, but it is too Japanese in style. The story is based on a true one, and it is very interesting, so I had hoped they would have focused more on that story.
Unfortunately, they went the usual, bland anime route...just with a black guy as the lead.
6.5/10

The mechas and super powers threw me for a loop. I was expecting a more grounded story. Will watch the rest of episode one later.

Firt Look at Kaci Walfall as the Titular Hero in Ava DuVernay's DC Comic Book Adaptation of NAOMI for The CW

The comic follows Naomi McDuffie, a teenage superhero from an alternate Earth with energy-based powers who discovers that she was sent to the Prime Universe to be preserved from Zumbado, the destructive conqueror of her home planet.

naomi-first-look-full.jpg

Shows called Smoking , available on Netflix, highly recommend basic / bad synopsis (main characters are a band of lovable rapscallions who hunt down underworld criminals .... anything more and id have to attach spoilers)

b07dd8e93f860205cd57b28d2dcacb9ae17ddd98-1024x576.jpg

First episode of Fatma on Netflix was great. Basic premise is 35 year old cleaning lady goes on killing spree

The end of episode 1 really caught me by surprise, great opening episode. Really cannot express how great the ending was, i was out of my seat screaming FUCK!!!!!!!!

(As with all these things, watch in the original language with subtitles)

Episode 2 was great as well. This show is genius

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back