UFC 247 Jones vs Reyes

What are peoples mind on Pilarte vs Newson and Ewell vs Martinez?
I usually side with the dogs, but i am kinda liking the favorites in this one. I was unimpressed with Pilarte in his first fight, but he still has a very big physical advantage over Newson, who did good in his debut, but mostly just "attended" the fight. Pilarte didnt look that convincing in his contender series fight, where he got rocked a couple of times.

Open for some discussion on these two fights.
Pilarte is the right side over Newson. Newson got outclassed against a B level Ricardo Ramos.

Pilarte has very slick BJJ. He looked solid on DWTNCS against Vince Morales, and got robbed against Colares, which was a BJJ war: http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10272/Felipe-Colares-vs-Domingo-Pilarte

(Speaking of robberies, Vince Morales got robbed blind against Benito Lopez: http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10260/Benito-Lopez-vs-Vince-Morales)

Martinez has slick BJJ but Ewell has fought the better competition. Ewell is the right side.

I like the shev fight to go the distance. Chook has a good enough ground game to not get subbed by someone like Valentina.

The head kick kos are ultra rare so I’m not too concerned with knock outs in wmma fights.

Even if shev hurts her standing chook has that Renzo Gracie background so I think she will be able to survive any gnp attempts

the price was under -200 when I played it. Last I checked at -215

will be looking for shev dec prices for sure

Thanks for the reply. Just nice to talk fights.

These are good points, except that Bektic hasn't played it smart on the feet at all though that i saw. He has exchanged against every one of the opponents I watched. He tends to plant his feet throw in all of his standing exchanges with no guard or head movement at all. Bektic will win most of his fights the whole time right up until he loses. Like the Elkins fight.

If Bektic played it a little safer and was less reckless then I would also be on him, but he just isn't that guy. He has all of the right elements to win, but he always leaves a hole. He is flat out not the "play it smart" kind of guy. He could all the sudden change, but as of right now I didn't see one second of play smart or play safe.

Edit: Also, i'm not big on Ige. I don't think this is a domination in any way. Only playing small, and even in my analysis i think Bektic has a decent chance to win.

While it is true that Bektic is better everywhere his chin scares the hell out of me. I get the same uneasy feeling betting on Bektic as I do Pico.

I like the shev fight to go the distance. Chook has a good enough ground game to not get subbed by someone like Valentina.

The head kick kos are ultra rare so I’m not too concerned with knock outs in wmma fights.

Even if shev hurts her standing chook has that Renzo Gracie background so I think she will be able to survive any gnp attempts

the price was under -200 when I played it. Last I checked at -215

will be looking for shev dec prices for sure
-160 on 5Dimes

I’d pay the extra chalk for gtd, -195 now

thx for the heads up on the prop release
Interesting. I really don't give Chook much of a chance. Shev is taking her seriously & has put in work. I might even play the -5.5 prop when it comes out.

Interesting. I really don't give Chook much of a chance. Shev is taking her seriously & has put in work. I might even play the -5.5 prop when it comes out.
For another $35 I’d minimize any risk

I do see the potential for chook to get a decision, believe it or not. Shev is a counter puncher and while this is a completely different matchup, shev lost that decision to nunes because she waited too much and wasn’t aggressive.

like I said, low probability it happens but with chookagian air punches and volume and mma judges not knowing what they’re watching I can’t rule it out

For another $35 I’d minimize any risk

I do see the potential for chook to get a decision, believe it or not. Shev is a counter puncher and while this is a completely different matchup, shev lost that decision to nunes because she waited too much and wasn’t aggressive.

like I said, low probability it happens but with chookagian air punches and volume and mma judges not knowing what they’re watching I can’t rule it out

she lost the decision because she got robbed

I thought I was going to be the only one on Bektic here. Everyone seems to love the play on Ige. I think Bektic wins the standup on the outside and I think he wins the takedown game. I think he can actually win the fight on top.
Bektic just hard to cap since he's a top 4 FW for about a round and a half.

Not a fan of this card from a fan or betting perspective...

A ton filler fights with half the fighters that will never see a Top 10 ranking near their names.

I could see this card having a few of overs like the last one however. They’re mostly C ranked guys who will probably be competitive between eachother.

When in doubt, I just take the over. It’s fucking hard to get to the UFC and try to finish another competitor who trained 6-8 weeks just like you. Most won’t turtle up and give away a finish like you’d see on the regional scene.

Johns/Bautista o2.5 (-240ish)
Lower volume guys, I can see them clinching plenty. They’ve got some decisions on their records.

Ige/Mirsad o2.5 (-210ish)
I don’t think Mirsad will put Ige away and I know Mirsad is a bit shaky with his TKO losses but Ige will instinctively grapple even if he rocks Mirsad. The prob with Mirsad and why he gasses is because he’s so fuckin tense in there. He flexes from the opening bell to the end. He doesn’t know how to relax his muscles a bit and flow. But he’s also so damn retard-strong in there. I like the over.

Jones/Reyes o2.5 or 3.5?? (I’m guessing it’ll be o3.5 -110ish)
Jones off the sauce so he’ll be risk adverse. He’s might to neutralize and play it safe with Reyes til he gets a read on his distance/timing. Or he’ll work to get the clinch. Man I took Maretta by decision at like +2000 last time out and I really thought he coulda won that. I’m going to fuck around and take Reyes by dec +1200. Although if Reyes knocks him out I’d be happy he did. Anyways, Jones is the the lankiest mofo in the UFC and is very tactically sound when knowing how to win a UFC fight. I’ll be rooting for the dog.

Other spots:
I’ll take Morono -170 against a newcomer who seems to be a classically trained boxer from the little video I’ve seen. Morono has all the experience and he’s still young himself. Can see him winning by club n sub or decision.

Juan Adams I guess should win if he’s at an actual fight camp in New Mexico. All he has to do is come in good shape and work his way into some TDs and the fight is his. I doubt that Tafa guy will have anything off his back.

Black Beast I would never take as a huge fav but I do think he’ll be in trouble somewhere in this fight and then find his second wind and finds the KO against Queen Latifa.

Newcomer Journey Newson looked pretty good to me in his loss to Ramos. He seems to have a pretty good chin and he’s well rounded. He hustles to his feet well if he’s taken down and he looks pretty blacklethic. Pilarte seems like a dog too but man is he hittable for such a tall frame. I’ll take my chances with the +120 dog.

The rest of the card, I don’t have strong leans on. I’ll probably look to take my chances on some long decision odds for a select few.

Overall Thoughts:
{<shrug}

Ok, final thoughts on Bektic/Ige (maybe). I think the way to bet this fight would be something like this...

If you're on Bektic the best value is going to be Bektic Decision, which is currently up at +160. It would be smart that even if he wins round 1 and 2 you should hedge after round 2 with a live bet on Ige. In this case odds would be good. Easy hedge with minimal profit loss.

If you're looking to bet Ige, then the best ways to bet him are either pre-betting Ige NSC, Ige Round 2 or 3, or waiting and getting him at higher odds after Bektic wins Round 1.

Could even play both sides and go with Ige NSC or live bet (depending what odds look like) and then also play Bektic Dec. Ige's best path is a mid-late finish, Bektics best path is Dec.

Last edited:
Pilarte is the right side over Newson. Newson got outclassed against a B level Ricardo Ramos.

Pilarte has very slick BJJ. He looked solid on DWTNCS against Vince Morales, and got robbed against Colares, which was a BJJ war: http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10272/Felipe-Colares-vs-Domingo-Pilarte

(Speaking of robberies, Vince Morales got robbed blind against Benito Lopez: http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10260/Benito-Lopez-vs-Vince-Morales)

Martinez has slick BJJ but Ewell has fought the better competition. Ewell is the right side.
Ramos would absolutely shit on pilarte

How many of these fights you reckon don't go the distance? I really hate cards where three quarters of the fights are fairly lame decision affairs... Watching tepid MMA makes me feel dirty.

Ramos dropped rounds in his first four UFC fights. He hasn't shit on anyone except two guys who clearly don't belong in the UFC.

Domingo dropped a whole fight to Colares. Ramos would absolutely smoke him.

Back