UFC 251: Usman vs. Masvidal (7/11)

Whole heartedly disagree. First off you defend takedowns. Masvidal couldnt do that very well at all. Second you start defending for subs which Masvidal did do very well. If Tyron Woodley cant stop Usman there is no fucking way Masvidal can. I'm sorry that's just how it goes.

Masvidal has a punchers chance but he ain't stopping shit

Agreed.

Anyone trying to asses this fight in an intellectually honest way needs to acknowledge Masvidal is susceptible to being taken down by Usman who is a superior wrestler and grappler.

If people want to fanboy for Masvidal thats fine, but do it in the forum made for that, not the one where folks come for advice on betting these fights.

Agreed.

Anyone trying to asses this fight in an intellectually honest way needs to acknowledge Masvidal is susceptible to being taken down by Usman who is a superior wrestler and grappler.

If people want to fanboy for Masvidal thats fine, but do it in the forum made for that, not the one where folks come for advice on betting these fights.

Agreed. One could also acknowledge that Masvidal could knock his block off

There is quite a lot of love For masvidal here and I can see why he’s a good boxer and he’s tough but on my opinion he will get taken down repeatedly and controlled. I will say though some in here are giving masvidal zero chance and I don’t agree w that. It’s a fight and if he catches him once it could be over.

Agreed.

You're ignoring context to make a definitive statement which meets the popular viewpoint here

That's not really how TD's work when comparing Maia and Usman though.

Maia is a bjj guy who perfected his style of wrestling over a long career. Without getting TOO much in the weeds, Maia secures a lot of TD's because the threat of him taking the back while still standing is there after he shoots his single and walks the pipe up into his opponent's hip. Because he's such a master at using that position to creep his way around to a back take, guys are afraid to use a lot of the counterwrestling techniques that work against traditional wrestlers.

Agree to disagree. The only reason Masvidal doesnt get taken down is because Usman decides to stand or he gets KOd.

Great thing is we only have a few more days to find out.

I like the FGTD on the Masvidal-Usman at +140

It's (IMO) like having Usman at +140 since decision seems to be his only path to victory (he ain't koing Mas on the feet and he ain't submitting him either...)

I like the FGTD on the Masvidal-Usman at +140

It's (IMO) like having Usman at +140 since decision seems to be his only path to victory (he ain't koing Mas on the feet and he ain't submitting him either...)
It's a 25 minute fight. Mas is tough, but IMO the last round or two's gonna be some ugly viewing like RDA-Usman was.

It's a 25 minute fight. Mas is tough, but IMO the last round or two's gonna be some ugly viewing like RDA-Usman was.
Agree but I think he will be able to buy himself some time before getting taken down and has enough bjj to not be gnped too much.
I'm more afraid, for my bet, that Mas puts him to sleep. But honestly, I don't see that either. Marty is fighting long and composed, has the better reach, and never drops his hands. He isn't a phenomenal striker, but he strikes "safe". Anyway, he's gonna shoot for the td as soon as he smells the danger.
1u on that

listened to almost all of the podcast, was really just trying to hear what you had to say..what are your biggest leans/ bets, besides PVZ of course lol

Agree to disagree. The only reason Masvidal doesnt get taken down is because Usman decides to stand or he gets KOd.

Great thing is we only have a few more days to find out.

Sorry man...I worded my post poorly. Or at least I didn't add in context when it comes to what you guys were discussing. I was only explaining the technical aspects of how different the wrestling of Maia and Usman are and the threats they present.

I actually think Usman is gonna hit some TD's. I think if he's too predictable early that Masvidal can stuff some by using good range. And Usman obviously needs to be careful so he doesn't eat a well timed knee a la Askren. But yeah, I wasn't trying to say that Usman won't take Masvidal down. Just that his TD's functionally operate in a much different way than Maia's. Demian is already thinking about advancing position when he gets ahold of guys, even standing. Usman is a traditional wrestler. Better explosion and timing on his level changes by far, but only looking to get his opponent down initially.

Masvidal is a live dog here imo but Usman is favored pretty heavily for a reason. Whatever opportunities Masvidal is presented early, he needs to take advantage because it's likely gonna get worse and worse for him as the fight goes on.

Agree but I think he will be able to buy himself some time before getting taken down and has enough bjj to not be gnped too much.
I'm more afraid, for my bet, that Mas puts him to sleep. But honestly, I don't see that either. Marty is fighting long and composed, has the better reach, and never drops his hands. He isn't a phenomenal striker, but he strikes "safe". Anyway, he's gonna shoot for the td as soon as he smells the danger.
1u on that

Whoa...what??? Watch the Colby fight again, man. Usman is CONSTANTLY dropping his hands. He does it in other fights too. Maybe vs Colby he did it more because he just had no respect for Colby's power, I can buy that. But saying he doesn't drop his hands...man I don't think so.

He's likely to be a LOT more careful with it vs Masvidal and I guarantee Whitman is working on it a ton with him, so maybe we see it much less on Saturday though.

Usman is strong as a beast has an iron chin and great cardio. Good luck beating that man!

1u on that
Bro Marty takes 10 years to get his hands back to his face after landing a punch

FD4BD75D-04B8-4D92-B670-04CFC1F73309.jpeg Not touching it but Jorge +150 for most significant strikes?

Back