UFC 252: Miocic vs. Cormier 3 Discussion

Yoder is very hittable on the feet. Problem is Souza hardly ever throws and just barely does enough to get in to grapple with her opponents. Souza has more submission upside, but if a submission doesn't happen, it's a toss up. Can't say one way or the other which way it really goes. I guess if Souza plays more hammer than the nail, she wins?

@BigSteve

I don't think it's apples to apples to put Mallory Martin on the same level as Felice Herrig. Maybe it's because Felice hasn't fought in a while people are down on her, but if this fight stays standing, Felice takes an easy decision IMO

Yoder has two wins and two splits in her last 4, she could arguably be on a 4 fight win streak.

This is a wildly dishonest way of presenting her record.

Everyone and their mother thinks Dern and Markos each beat Yoder except 1 of the official judges in each;

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/8881/Mackenzie-Dern-vs-Ashley-Yoder

(19 media members for Dern, 1 for Yoder, 77% of fans for Dern)

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10595/Randa-Markos-vs-Ashley-Yoder

(10 media members for Markos, 0 for Yoder, 87.2% of fans for Markos, with another 3% thinking it was a draw)

By contrast, most people think Yoder's "win" over Amanda Bobby Cooper was an outright robbery;

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/9497/Ashley-Yoder-vs-Amanda-Cooper

(15 media members for Cooper, just 2 for Yoder, and 69.4% of fans for Cooper, with another 4% believing it was a draw)

So it's a lot more accurate to say that Yoder is arguably 1-3 in her last 4 fights.

Yoder is very hittable on the feet. Problem is Souza hardly ever throws and just barely does enough to get in to grapple with her opponents. Souza has more submission upside, but if a submission doesn't happen, it's a toss up. Can't say one way or the other which way it really goes. I guess if Souza plays more hammer than the nail, she wins?

@BigSteve

I don't think it's apples to apples to put Mallory Martin on the same level as Felice Herrig. Maybe it's because Felice hasn't fought in a while people are down on her, but if this fight stays standing, Felice takes an easy decision IMO
Ye thats fine, my argument is it wont stay standing. Virna has all the tools to take to the ground and she actively always does every fight

This is a wildly dishonest way of presenting her record.

Everyone and their mother thinks Dern and Markos each beat Yoder except 1 of the official judges in each;

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/8881/Mackenzie-Dern-vs-Ashley-Yoder

(19 media members for Dern, 1 for Yoder, 77% of fans for Dern)

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10595/Randa-Markos-vs-Ashley-Yoder

(10 media members for Markos, 0 for Yoder, 87.2% of fans for Markos, with another 3% thinking it was a draw)

By contrast, most people think Yoder's "win" over Amanda Bobby Cooper was an outright robbery;

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/9497/Ashley-Yoder-vs-Amanda-Cooper

(15 media members for Cooper, just 2 for Yoder, and 69.4% of fans for Cooper, with another 4% believing it was a draw)

So it's a lot more accurate to say that Yoder is arguably 1-3 in her last 4 fights.

Watch the fights, Dern basically won the fight securing the take down and getting back control in the last 30 or so seconds, until that point it was most or less 50/50... And again with Markos I see a 50/50 fight and the deciding factor being Markos landing some heavier blows in some exchanges.

How do you all see Jim Miller vs Vince Pichel going? I thought Miller would be a bigger favorite than -110, am I missing something?

Does anyone know where I can find some Danny Chavez tape? Or is it clear cut he doesn't have a shot?

I like Miller in this fight he has the edge standing and has his submission game if Pichel gets on top of him, Miller has so much more experience as well and he is a year younger than Vinc. Definitely a concern that Miller gets held down but just think he has the vet savviness to pull this one off

Watch the fights, Dern basically won the fight securing the take down and getting back control in the last 30 or so seconds, until that point it was most or less 50/50... And again with Markos I see a 50/50 fight and the deciding factor being Markos landing some heavier blows in some exchanges.

I can't believe you're doubling down on this awful argument.

Yeah, I did watch the fights, and yes, like virtually everyone else, I thought Markos and Dern won, and only a blind man would give Yoder more than a round in each fight. That's irrelevant, however.

When you're GAMBLING, and you see that 95% or 100% of the media and the overwhelming majority of fans have Yoder losing, proclaiming that you think Yoder actually won doesn't get you anywhere.

It's the 3 judges who determine the winner, not your (or my) personal scoring. And the media and fan judging is usually much, much better for determining that, and what the consensus is for the fight.

You have to leave personal feelings out of it.

I like Miller in this fight he has the edge standing and has his submission game if Pichel gets on top of him, Miller has so much more experience as well and he is a year younger than Vinc. Definitely a concern that Miller gets held down but just think he has the vet savviness to pull this one off

Same, although Miller is much older in fight years. I hope he gets a sub or a crazy flying knee knockout like he did against Shalorus early on though to alleviate the stress of him undoubtedly fading the longer the fight goes haha.

I can't believe you're doubling down on this awful argument.

Yeah, I did watch the fights, and yes, like virtually everyone else, I thought Markos and Dern won, and only a blind man would give Yoder more than a round in each fight. That's irrelevant, however.

When you're GAMBLING, and you see that 95% or 100% of the media and the overwhelming majority of fans have Yoder losing, proclaiming that you think Yoder actually won doesn't get you anywhere.

It's the 3 judges who determine the winner, not your (or my) personal scoring. And the media and fan judging is usually much, much better for determining that, and what the consensus is for the fight.

You have to leave personal feelings out of it.

I'll triple down on it, I watched the fights and came to my own conclusion, that's what this game is.

I saw close fights.

But none of that actually matters.

Yoder is the value side in this fight in my opinion, and if you disagree with that then clearly we are seeing different things in tape in general

Same, although Miller is much older in fight years. I hope he gets a sub or a crazy flying knee knockout like he did against Shalorus early on though to alleviate the stress of him undoubtedly fading the longer the fight goes haha.

Agreed, hope to see the same. Pichel just hasn't been that impressive in his UFC run his biggest win was Roosevelt Roberts which was a really close fight, and Miller was able to finish him in round 1

Apparently I just read in the Heavies that Josh Thomson is worried because Cormier came into camp fat and spent the majority of his camp just getting in shape. Who knows though maybe he just wants better odds on his buddy.

Apparently I just read in the Heavies that Josh Thomson is worried because Cormier came into camp fat and spent the majority of his camp just getting in shape. Who knows though maybe he just wants better odds on his buddy.

I believe it. Cormier looked super fat in their second fight and with the lay-off, gyms closing and DC’s announcer obligations, I assume his training has been the least it’s ever been.

DC was landing his hardest strikes and Miocic was eating them. He might have been down in the cards going into round 4 but he has power still and can put DC away at any point in that fight.

I really want to put about 4u on him at -115 because I think he comes in looking to rock the body early and get the job done quicker.

Is DC going to be able to dominate him in the grappling for 5 rounds given his current state of conditioning? I bet on that last time and look how that worked out.

I think Stipe will go to the body early and end up catching DC in round 2/3 this time.

In that 252 countdown video DC meantioned having another kid this October. Not saying he is showing up for a check but I wouldn't be surprised if he has other things on his mind.

After watching more tape on Vera and O'malley, I think O'malley wins a decision or KO/TKO here. I think Vera is durable enough to survive all 3 rounds unless he gets clipped by something huge in the 1st round. O'malley is deceptively fast and starts quick whereas Vera is a slow starter that likes to take a round to figure out his opponent and then comes on strong in the last 2 rounds.

I think that's a bad idea against O'malley because there's a great chance he takes the early lead and keeps it. As I said before the judges will give the nod to Suga' if it's a close fight so Vera will need to come out hard and put on a very high pace in order to prevent that from happening.

I really dislike O'malley as a person but as a fighter I can't overlook his skillset despite not fighting meaningful competition. We will learn a lot from this fight but I think I'm going to avoid betting Vera's ML upon second look and instead, a small play on his sub line, and O'malley decision/KO lines or FDNGTD. I think O'malley has a decent chance of finishing Vera here unfortunately.

After watching more tape on Vera and O'malley, I think O'malley wins a decision or KO/TKO here. I think Vera is durable enough to survive all 3 rounds unless he gets clipped by something huge in the 1st round. O'malley is deceptively fast and starts quick whereas Vera is a slow starter that likes to take a round to figure out his opponent and then comes on strong in the last 2 rounds.

I think that's a bad idea against O'malley because there's a great chance he takes the early lead and keeps it. As I said before the judges will give the nod to Suga' if it's a close fight so Vera will need to come out hard and put on a very high pace in order to prevent that from happening.

I really dislike O'malley as a person but as a fighter I can't overlook his skillset despite not fighting meaningful competition. We will learn a lot from this fight but I think I'm going to avoid betting Vera's ML upon second look and instead, a small play on his sub line, and O'malley decision/KO lines or FDNGTD. I think O'malley has a decent chance of finishing Vera here unfortunately.

I agree with all this. O’Malley is definitely a hype train and it will be derailed at some point I just don’t see Vera being the guy to do it.

Back