UFC 267 PBP/Discussion

Going for Kimuras and guillotines to defend takedowns are fool's gold. Coaches should be firing those into the sun.

Going for Kimuras and guillotines to defend takedowns are fool's gold. Coaches should be firing those into the sun.

It's stupid shit you can get away with in the gym but should never do in a high level fight.

Fuckin deserved. Poirier's paid in full or whatever quote should go to glover.

Jan should hold his head up. No shame in getting subbed by glover, that guy is a fuckin animal.

Suddenly everyone is aiming for Glover whether they have to move down a weight class or up a class. Super great win for Glover but damn idk what happened to Jan. Nearly anyone in top-15 takes Glover but guess that makes division wide open and more entertaining.

Watching the replay it looked like Yan he went for a kimura to defend the takedown.

The light heavyweight division has been a total shit show ever since Jon Jones left.

He arguably lost to one legged Santos and then robbed Reyes of a decision

It's very clear the best LHW in the world is Vadim

Agreed. I'm not sure why but anytime I see someone try to defend a takedown with a guillotine I always think of Tiequan Zhang Vs Darren Elkins (a fight that's probably left the memory of every normal person who saw it). Probably the worst example of trying to defend takedowns with guillotines - did it about half a dozen times and always ended up losing it and giving up position and spending minutes afterwards stuck on his back.

Thinking about it now, it seems so rare that you see a guillotine now in general. Obviously RNC leads the way and triangles have become so low percentage over the past 5 or so years, but I reckon I've probably seen more d'arce chokes over the past few years than successful guillotines.

Agreed. I'm not sure why but anytime I see someone try to defend a takedown with a guillotine I always think of Tiequan Zhang Vs Darren Elkins (a fight that's probably left the memory of every normal person who saw it). Probably the worst example of trying to defend takedowns with guillotines - did it about half a dozen times and always ended up losing it and giving up position and spending minutes afterwards stuck on his back.

Thinking about it now, it seems so rare that you see a guillotine now in general. Obviously RNC leads the way and triangles have become so low percentage over the past 5 or so years, but I reckon I've probably seen more d'arce chokes over the past few years than successful guillotines.

There are a variety of factors, guys who have a super crazy strong squeeze can still use it effectively. But in general yeah it tends to be a low % move.

He was flattened out. If he didn't tap, he knew glover would have smashed his head. At 38 with a family, he did the right thing.

Oh dude he was about to get choked out, no doubt about it. I just lol'ed at how fast it happened.

Back