Rumored UFC 278 reportedly sold 360k PPV buys worldwide.

Joshua vs Usyk had to play a bit of role as well.

Worldwide? Don't you mean in America? Because other than Americans, everyone else gets events for free.
We indeed pay close to nothing in here. Like ten euros for all the UFC main cards of the month, be it fight night or numbered events, and other MMA promotions events (and other sports, combat or not) and another ten for the fight pass, for the preliminaries and other things.

That's a good number! Neither Usman, and to an even bigger extent Leon, have ever proven themselves to be major PPV draws previously, so this surprises me.

If UK was still stuck in the antiquity of the PPV model, the number would have been a lot bigger still I'm sure.

How big of a factor do you guys think Rockhold/Costa played into this though?
It would be interesting if people could vote, when buying a PPV, for the reason they bought it. Name a fighter or a fight or something. Then we would see who the real draws are.
I would also like the idea for the fans to be able to point out who gets your PPV money. On some cards it could also be the guy on the opening of the main card? Like 276, who really bought it because of Adesanya vs. Cannonier?

Many places have PPV but at different price points…
Like PPV in Brazil is 15 USD

I know Australia/New Zealand also follows the PPV model

PPV is worldwide, but in most countries it's broadcasted on one of the local sports channels as well, so if you have TV at home it's practically free. but then you lose out on the high level expert commentary of DC and Rogan

We know they are fake and most of the time inflated compared to their real numbers. So the real figures are probably lower.

When will people finally accept that ppv is just an economic model for the US and doesnt much. Also increasing the price over and over is not going to help. $75 is just way too expensive for a niche sport like mma and the UFC.

So much for those Sherdog casuals who argued with me that Usman was a big PPV star. lol just like I told them, wait for the Usman vs Leon 2 numbers to come out and we'll see how much of a draw he actually is.

well-there-it-is.gif

Worldwide? Don't you mean in America? Because other than Americans, everyone else gets events for free.
Lol, you have no idea what you're talking about

We know they are fake and most of the time inflated compared to their real numbers. So the real figures are probably lower.

When will people finally accept that ppv is just an economic model for the US and doesnt much. Also increasing the price over and over is not going to help. $75 is just way too expensive for a niche sport like mma and the UFC.

I mean...PPV clearly exist in other countries. I literally just bought one the other week and I do not live in USA.

I find that a lot of people, often Europeans, think that if something doesn't exist in their country (or region) but exist in USA, then it must be because USA is the only exception.

I have no idea if it is because Europeans are in a bubble or if they think no other places matter except for Europe and USA. Perhaps a combination of both.

I mean...PPV clearly exist in other countries. I literally just bought one the other week and I do not live in USA.

I find that a lot of people, often Europeans, think that if something doesn't exist in their country (or region) but exist in USA, then it must be because USA is the only exception.

I have no idea if it is because Europeans are in a bubble or if they think no other places matter except for Europe and USA. Perhaps a combination of both.

Of course they do exist elsewhere, they are also cheaper in Europe. It depends of the market. My point was UFC fans obsession with numbers. I personally do not give a damn about numbers. Why would I ? I am not UFC owner. Fans use those fake numbers to call X or Y a draw. It shouldn't be that way.

I dont like how they keep giving worldwide numbers now because it muddies the waters. Give the US numbers and/or distinguish between domestic and worldwide buys.

It would be interesting if people could vote, when buying a PPV, for the reason they bought it. Name a fighter or a fight or something. Then we would see who the real draws are.
I would also like the idea for the fans to be able to point out who gets your PPV money. On some cards it could also be the guy on the opening of the main card? Like 276, who really bought it because of Adesanya vs. Cannonier?

Heard people talk about similar stuff in the
Vechain community. I like the idea!

It's better than I thought it would do if I'm being honest and the numbers are correct.

Neither guy was a big draw. Leon will be for his next fight so if he can capitalize on the current spotlight they may have a new huge UK draw.

Probably more casuals on here than outside tbf.

The price hikes and exclusivity of making PPVs attainable only through ESPN+ (and Hulu) are really starting to alienate the audience, or push fans into pirating it even more.

Those numbers actually surprise me, but they would probably be way more if not for the changes. Literally, the amount of bars showing it in my area has been more than cut in half over the past 3 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess_bjj
Back