News UFC Anti-Trust Lawsuit Has Been Settled and Will NOT Go To Trial Paying Out $335 Million

At this point I think UFC fighters deserve to be ripped off by Dana

I would have preferred trial as that would set a precedent for the future and perhaps change things completely

But that much money is nothing to sneeze at.

What fighters get it and how much?

I'm assuming the lawyers are gonna wind up with like half.
Definitely why they paid out. They weren’t worried about a specific dollar value. They were worried about the landscape of their
Contacts changing wildly and losing control of “their assets” as they see them

Dana-White3.jpg

At this point I think UFC fighters deserve to be ripped off by Dana

I think it came down to the prospects of these guys waiting for over a decade for anything and the possibility of all the special interest people/bias/money involved that could get this dismissed or put in purgatory forever. I do think they caved for less money than they should have, but when you're broke, someone waving $280K in your face seems pretty fucking nice.

Hopefully they worked it out to the extent that TKO pays all lawyer fees so the money goes to the fighters as a whole.

They were initially looking for $894 million and $1.6 billion. Looks like TKO (UFC parent company) made a good deal. It isn't enough money, but it's something.

There were 1,200 fighters involved in the lawsuit, so that works out to about $280K per fighter. I would say the company got off light, to put it kindly.
Not to mention, the amount would have been tripled if it went to court and the judge fought the UFC guilty.

They definitely got off easy here.

They were initially looking for anywhere from $894 million to $1.6 billion. Looks like TKO (UFC parent company) made a good deal. It isn't enough money, but it's something.

There were 1,200 fighters involved in the lawsuit, so that works out to about $280K per fighter. I would say the company got off light, to put it kindly.

To put things into perspective the TKO is looking to double the UFC's media rights fees, which are currently $300 million a year. If they sign a new deal, it'll likely be a 5 year, $2.4 to $3.0 billion dollar deal. This doesn't include the $105 million a year Bud Light is giving them, gate, UAE fees, tax breaks, site money and countless other deals.

The UFC just made $1.3 billion last year and $1.1 billion the year before.

This settlement is a drop in the bucket.

@Black9

I also updated the OP with quotes and the article. I can't stand a half assed OP, lol.

Tax deductible too lmao.

I hate to say this but the UFC had a far better legal argument than media sources were giving them credit for.

And by legal argument I mean the UFC did do a lot of immoral things but they did them by the law

The plaintiffs were always gonna have an uphill battle in trial

No I agree. And thats because after buying Strikeforce the UFC went out of their way to not be a monopoly(which at that point they were). Thats why it was hard to see the UFC losing this. They made decisions like the Reebok deal which herded fighters to other promotions and gave all the elite fighters they didn't want to Bellator. They were never going to lose because the anti competitive behavior wasn't there.

Not when combined with all the Vince scandal payouts and other settlements TKO has paid out. Ol' Vinny Mac's philandering will be a huge bath for these schmucks after all's said and done.

I was under the impression that Vince made it known he was going to pay for all the costs of the special investigations and whatnot. I think that might be a small reason why he's sold almost a billion in stock. I could be wrong. There's so many moving parts in that company.

Tax deductible too lmao.

It's funny how huge organizations get all these tax cuts while the government will drag people to the ends of the earth for a $1K tax payment. I liken it to being a rich celebrity - only then do you start getting free shit, which is when you don't need it, lol.

Well that’s good news.

I didn’t ever believe there would be $1B+ resolution to the lawsuit.

And I was surprised by how many people actually wanted to see the UFC go under because of this. Clearly the UFC was in the wrong. But either you want the biggest org in the sport around. Or you want to settle for minor league orgs.

I don’t see how a real fan of mma would have wanted the UFC to go under. Every other mma org does the same things with their contracts, etc. why is it always the UFC that gets shit on?

Settled for $355 million which I hear is tax deductable, and considering it's been going on for a decade most of that money will be going to fighters who started it's lawyers.

Plus the suit is being paid out to all fighters from June 2010 to June 2017, after fees that's a lot of people to spread what remains over.

Bit of an anti-climax, considering it's a billion below what was being sought.

Not to mention, the amount would have been tripled if it went to court and the judge fought the UFC guilty.

They definitely got off easy here.

Yeah, I elaborated a bit in the same post. I probably should have waited before I posted and not done all the edits after the fact, but work is kicking my ass right now with all these reports. I need a beer.

Btw.. Just doing a quick calculation I found that $335M divided by 1200 fighters equals just under $280,000/fighter.

But the plaintiffs lawyers probably took this on a contingency basis. As in a certain percentage of any settlement, or judgement goes to the lawyers. Which could be as much as 40%. Using 30% as the number the lawyers fees are about $100M. Which drops the payout to each of the 1200 fighters to about $195K.

I have no idea if any of the plaintiffs get more, or less than other plaintiffs in the 1200 fighters. There usually seem to be different levels of compensation in big lawsuits like this. In this lawsuit time, or number of fights may be what differentiates each plaintiff’s percentage of what the award is. But, I’m sure most of them will welcome whatever amount it is that they do receive.

And it’s finally all over.

Back