UFC Fight Night 81 - Dillashaw vs Cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad they found someone for Rosa to fight. Hope I can find some YT footage of this guy. Kind of scared to bet on this if this guy is a high level BJJ player. Rosa great at scrambling but he finds himself in those scrambles too often and his sub d is unproven

Glad they found someone for Rosa to fight. Hope I can find some YT footage of this guy. Kind of scared to bet on this if this guy is a high level BJJ player. Rosa great at scrambling but he finds himself in those scrambles too often and his sub d is unproven
Who is he fighting?

Yeah, huge. One of the few guys in MMA who can legitimately claim to be a BJJ World Champion, despite whatever Mike Goldberg told you. IMO his credentials in the gi are on par with or better than Jacare's. He has maybe the best BJJ in MMA. Notice I did not write, "for MMA" because there is a big difference. But slap a gi on him and there is no one near his weight class in the UFC who could hope to beat him. In BJJ he had the misfortune of competing in the hardest weight class in the sport by a mile, alongside Rafael Mendes and Cobrinha. He managed to beat both of them at least once and won the Worlds in 2013.

He also won the no gi worlds last year, which is not quite as prestigious as ADCC but still very impressive. I know he competed in ADCC last year but still haven't gotten around to watching (too many things on my list...)

Live dog then potentially. These type of fights must be a nightmare to cap for bookies.

I need to pull trigger on Pearson Pettis. Its pretty rare for Trinaldo to go for takedowns i think hes going to stand with Pearson. Arreola is the only fight i have watched of his where that seemed to be the gameplan, and i only think that was cos Arreola was so easy for him to take down. Pearson is the best striker Trinaldo has faced and has beaten excellent strikers such as Felder and IMO Barboza. I cannot see Trinaldo outstriking Pearson if those two cant, and he doesnt have the power of Al or Cub or the technique. 37 too rarely fights out of Brazil drug ban (not tarring all Brazilians with same brush but id be surprised if he werent) and Pearson had camp at Alliance with Cruz.

Wade - Baghdad odds released on Betsafe

Wade @1.45 / -222
Baghdad @2.75 / +175

Elvis Mutapcic (15-3) is stepping in to fight Barroso

Elvis Mutapcic (15-3) is stepping in to fight Barroso
Awesome!!! Mutapcic is a fun fighter. Unfortunately, coming in on short notice and being under sized I can see him getting fence hugged for three rounds, but glad to see him in the UFC

According to this thread Augusto Mendes

Great JackSlack article released today on Cruz vs TJ
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/dominick-cruz-vs-tj-dillashaw-on-the-existence-of-neo-footwork

Sham, I promise you Trinaldo will look to back Pearson up to the fence and work the clinch to takedowns. Pearson is def not a bad play at his current line, just saying. I'd be fairly shocked if Trinaldo just decides to box

I thought that entirely before research but he generally doesnt go for takedowns. Not sure if its a case of if hes going to have to fight for takedowns he doesnt want to gas so just decides to box. Arreola for example were easy takedowns not much energy expended.

Is Wade going to wrestlefuck Baghdad whats his wrestling like?

I thought that entirely before research but he generally doesnt go for takedowns. Not sure if its a case of if hes going to have to fight for takedowns he doesnt want to gas so just decides to box. Arreola for example were easy takedowns not much energy expended.

Is Wade going to wrestlefuck Baghdad whats his wrestling like?
Yeah unfortunately I might not get time to do any tape watching, but I remember he was more than willing to engage Parke in the clinch battles. You rewatched fights with Chiesa, Ronson, etc? Could've swore he was grappling centric in those but man they were awhile ago now

Yeah, this is a classic wrestler vs striker match up. I haven't seen enough of Mehdi to know how his tdd is, but hes a solid talent. Underwhelmed on TUF, looked better outside of it. This is kind of a dreadful fight for him though.

so correct me wrong

wade-taisumov is now wade-baghdad (french guy who beat artem on tuf)

barroso-edilov is now barroso-mutapcic (elvis.. wsof/mfc guy)

rosa-hettes is now rosa-mendes (not chad, a new mendes)

13 fights are scheduled still

that all sound right?

so correct me wrong

wade-taisumov is now wade-baghdad (french guy who beat artem on tuf)

barroso-edilov is now barroso-mutapcic (elvis.. wsof/mfc guy)

rosa-hettes is now rosa-mendes (not chad, a new mendes)

13 fights are scheduled still

that all sound right?

yes I think that right so back to a good solid card lol

I pretty much agree with Firas re Pettis bout. I don't like paying the juice at -300 or wherever he is now but think he is fine as parlay fodder. I am confident Pettis wins most of the time.

Also expect to see this fight on the feet mostly uless someone gets tagged and gets desperate.

Baghdad looks decent, just watched the last 3 fights posted above he did sadly get taken down by zach in his last fight, guy has some nice take downs and baghdad got taken down. Wade is ncaa div 3 wrestler so we do have a striker vs wrestler match up like jb says above.

Baghdad did look pretty strong, he is a very big framed and 6.1" guy and looked strong in the clinches, no doubt from his MT background (mt world champ) he also had strong elbows in the clinches, wade I think tends to clinch and work on grinding his opponents down often so this may not be an easy fight for wade. Baghdad is also a purple belt in bjj, and trained with anderson silva last week.

Some other info and highlights from his tuf fight here:

http://www.mmaprosgear.com/baghdad

http://severemma.com/2015/09/video-...-vs-mehdi-baghdad-on-the-ultimate-fighter-22/

Im french and i know bagdhad... I speak with him last day he is fucking motivated.

Actually its been 2-3 month he is in training camp. He took that fight on 1 week notice, i can tell u he will bang or get banged january 17. He dnt play games, no bullshit.

Live dog then potentially. These type of fights must be a nightmare to cap for bookies.

I need to pull trigger on Pearson Pettis. Its pretty rare for Trinaldo to go for takedowns i think hes going to stand with Pearson

I know age can be a factor, but trinaldo has been improving in all areas of mma despite being 37.

Some guys oddly just improve or adjust there fighting style better, take maia lately.

But I can't fault anyone for going big on pearson, pettis it would still be the parlay play I would make.

Think cruz/tj, cote/ben and few others will have some solid live betting chances especially with closer odds, lots of close fights again on this card, hopefully will be able to be on the judges side this event !

Oh and BTsports 2, 1am - 5am + on Sunday is showing ufc live event, so we can relax.
Edit- check times closer to fight time, unibet say it starts 8:30pm think that is wrong still!

Last edited:
I know age can be a factor, but trinaldo has been improving in all areas of mma despite being 37.

Some guys oddly just improve or adjust there fighting style better, take maia lately.

But I can't fault anyone for going big on pearson, pettis it would still be the parlay play I would make.

Think cruz/tj, cote/ben and few others will have some solid live betting chances especially with closer odds, lots of close fights again on this card, hopefully will be able to be on the judges side this event !

Oh and BTsports 2, 1am - 5am + on Sunday is showing ufc live event, so we can relax.
Edit- check times closer to fight time, unibet say it starts 8:30pm think that is wrong still!

True but still 37 LW who always fights in Brazil with the drug ban hmm...i expect a drop off any fight. Pearson is a step up from his most recent fights.

Great news re BT! Yeah does look good for lb but after the Noke debacle i said id stay away. Definitely like Cote as the dog.

True but still 37 LW who always fights in Brazil with the drug ban hmm...i expect a drop off any fight. Pearson is a step up from his most recent fights.

Great news re BT! Yeah does look good for lb but after the Noke debacle i said id stay away. Definitely like Cote as the dog.

Are you 100% sure you didn't check the listings for Sunday morning, rather than Monday morning when it actually is happening?

Yeah unfortunately I might not get time to do any tape watching, but I remember he was more than willing to engage Parke in the clinch battles. You rewatched fights with Chiesa, Ronson, etc? Could've swore he was grappling centric in those but man they were awhile ago now

Yeah, this is a classic wrestler vs striker match up. I haven't seen enough of Mehdi to know how his tdd is, but hes a solid talent. Underwhelmed on TUF, looked better outside of it. This is kind of a dreadful fight for him though.

He didnt actually try to take Parke down he was taken down himself a couple of times tho. Chisea grounded him for three rounds and Ronson he took down at end of third but apart from that no t/d attempts bar a couple easily stopped by Ronson's whizzer. The more i watch the more i think this will be a perfect stylistic matchup for Pearson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back