UFC fighters complaining about their contract makes no sense

yeah but when you sign your contract that's what you get, no point saying your not getting enough as that's the contract you signed, if you didn't like it you shouldn't have signed, simples
I don’t know why everyone thinks that fighters deserve more than what they have agreed to. Nobody forced them into the lifestyle or profession. Managers and promoters are scumbags making money off the hard work of others but if you don’t like it go get a regular job. Why are we not bagging on Ngannou’s manager that negotiated the contract?

Ahhh TS is the classic idiot who thinks is somehow entitled to admonish what someone can or cannot complain about
No it’s called integrity. A contract is an agreement that two parties agree to fulfill. Why complain about something that you were complicit in agreeing to?

Fighter pay wasn't really a issue. Until ufc screwed fighters out of sponsors. So not only are we going to pay you pennies. You can't make money off your fight gear in the cage either. Dana created a unnecessary mess. If im getting paid mills or hundreds of thousands from sponsors per fight. No need to complain about what ufc is paying.

"Bader said he lost anywhere from $20,000-$65,000 per fight after the UFC signed an exclusive apparel deal with Rebook" now mind Bader was never a ufc champ. "One thing too which is huge for me is being able to have our own sponsorships. In the UFC before the sponsorship with Reebok, the least I've ever made was $35,000 grand—and I made up to $80,000 a fight" mind you this is someone who has never won a ufc belt. And was barley top 5.

It’s like when you get a big boy job and sign a contract in the real world. You agree to a certain amount of pay for a certain amount of time. You can’t ask for a raise in the middle of your contract just because the company is doing good, just like they can’t pay you less if the company is doing bad.
Please define this hypothetical contract a little better you are using for an example. I'm confused when you are talking about asking for a "raise". Methinks you are confused between a W2 and a 1099 contract. Please expound upon your argument. Because for many types of agreements you bet your ass I'm asking for a "raise" when I feel one is warranted. And it goes without saying that as an independent contractor, as long as I can meet my contracted UFC fight dates, I should be able to box to my heart's content.

Fighters should learn a lesson from this whole Ngannou situation, and dont sign such a big contract. According to Ngannou its a 5 year contract, seems he signed for 8 fights.
He wants a raise for going to work 8 times in 5 years?
MattSerra#fuckem

Everyone in the world is happy with their jobs, because if they weren't, they'd be hypocritical children for agreeing to do it, then complaining.

Great point

The thing is that when you sign a UFC contract you are accepting those terms hoping you will eventually make those big bucks and agreeing to their terms. Nobody forces you to agree, you agree because you want to fight in the UFC, you could go elsewhere but choose not to. So when someone like Francis who now wants to make even more money than he agreed was acceptable under the terms with the UFC it makes no sense.

Frustration is boiling over IMO..

Because the path to make elite money has been tightened and it is more difficult now than ever before. Some of that started when the UFC insisted on uniforms and banning sponsors for fighters in the cage.. Contenders were making some nice bank on that from fight to fight..

And the PPV model is a nearly dead model IMO at these prices. Francis seems adamant that he made 600K for this fight, his reported income. Dana will probably say he got a nice PPV cut.. But what cut? Who bought that card at 80 bucks a pop? Certainly not me, and the majority of the fanbase. PPV deals usually stipulate a certain buy rate to get even 1 dollar of revenue from the PPV sales.. The UFC is set up so you need to become a huge star like Khabib, Conor, GSP etc. But who is ever going to pull that off? Some fighters just want to fight, and avoid the spotlight.. Well they are likely to go broke..

No it’s called integrity. A contract is an agreement that two parties agree to fulfill. Why complain about something that you were complicit in agreeing to?
You message makes no sense.
He has signed a contract. He has fought all the fights of that contract, at the money agreed.

He is not complaining, the UFC is complaining that he doesn't want to sign the contract THEY want him to sign.

You are a dumb shill, but for the others, everyone can understand that the problem is that UFC does force fighters to re-sign in the middle of their contract by making their life difficult, not offering them fights to stave them financially and using all sorts of dirty tactics to pressure them.

Why do you think Dana White left before giving the belt? It wasn't Ngannou complaining here.

Another thread of people clamouring to side with some billion dollar corporation instead of supporting the fighters. Why would you regularly post on an MMA forum if your goal is for rich people to make more money? Sure there is a forum for that somewhere. I don't see what the problem with wanting more money is - 'you've signed a contract', so? Contracts are renegotiated all the time.

He deserves his piece of the pie. Just because it’s a bigger pie than yours is no reason to get all worked up.

Reactions: HHJ
The fans get screwed when guys like Jones and Francis are sitting out. If the UFC doesn’t know how to make money off the big fights let them talk to other promoters. Don’t hold the sport back because of your personal greed.

Don't know man. I think everyone of these fighters are negotiating terms for their next contract. At least that's the case in Ngannou's.
So it's more then fair for them to play hard ball considering the UFC dirty tactics.

And there's also the "I signed for 8 fights but now, in my 5th, I'm already a well estabilished fighter fighting for the title."
Would be the same as you getting a job and start to do much more or start to deliver much better results. Wouldn't you ask for a raise?

OP sounds like he is about 14 years old with that naive as fuck worldview.

Sometimes I wonder whether some of our dear Shermanos know how contracts work at all.
It seems like an alien concept to some in these parts
Herpaderp everyone is dumb except me durrrr

Ngannou is doing exactly what you're saying he should do, negotiating with the UFC for a better contract while he currently has all the leverage on his side (him being the champion), and yet you're currently complaining about him doing it.

That makes no sense.

Yeah it makes NO SENSE why someone would try to get more money. BAFFLING.
what's not trying. if you're an established fighter with 5-10 UFC fights and still not getting the money that satisfies you - leave, you're wasting that little time you have in you're career. 99/100 chances other organizations will offer you more. few times more in some cases. complaining will never get anywhere. UFC pay structure is what it is and not going to change.

Francis signed a contract for 600k for 6 fights (I think 6). That's the terms he signed. He fulfilled his contract and is now seeing what other offers are out there.

UFC will try to renegotiate contacts before they expire to lock you in longer but he said unless they change their terms and definition of a independent contractor, he'll move on. Unlike others, Francis is doing the right thing and testing free agency to see what his worth is.

What I don't get is when someone signs a deal for 150k a year and then complains about it. You signed the deal. If you couldn't get more than that, either your Manager isn't good or your aren't valuable yourself. Try getting 150k a year doing anything else and see how that works out for you.

When UFC fighter pay as a % of revenue trails far behind all other major sports, there's a problem.

When PVZ makes vastly more money on Onlyfans than fighting, there's a problem.

You guys and your cherry picking...

100% of the people paying for PVZ's Onlyfans are paying to see her specifically. Now, how
many folks were actually buying UFC PPVs because she was on the card?

The UFC is not comparable to organizations like the NBA, NFL and MLB. Those are team
sports that play 17 to 162 games a season and regularly sell out stadiums that hold 50,000
fans. There's no valid comparison there.

I don’t know why everyone thinks that fighters deserve more than what they have agreed to. Nobody forced them into the lifestyle or profession. Managers and promoters are scumbags making money off the hard work of others but if you don’t like it go get a regular job. Why are we not bagging on Ngannou’s manager that negotiated the contract?

This is a really good example of the lowest IQ take possible on the situation. Why aren't you rich? You're free to go get a better job, why are you not the richest man in the world?

This is a really good example of the lowest IQ take possible on the situation. Why aren't you rich? You're free to go get a better job, why are you not the richest man in the world?
I love my job, and like an adult I understand I am not going to get rich doing what it is I do. If i wanted more money I would change professions. It’s pretty simple lol. If Francis wants to be rich he should have probably become an investment banker or worked his way up to CEO some where, but he didn’t he chose to be a fighter.

Back