UFC Fox 23 - Pena vs Shevchenko - Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe read my post? If you roll over each winning bet, you make the same amount. $300 on team A wins 600. $900 on team b wins $1800. $2700 on team C wins $5400

Profit from bet a = 600
Profit from bet b = 1800
Profit from bet c = 5400

Add them up and what do you get? 7800! The same amount you would have gotten if you parlayed. Derp
The prices can change by the time you put all those bets on individually though. Plus it just sounds like a pain in the arse doing it like that.

The prices can change by the time you put all those bets on individually though. Plus it just sounds like a pain in the arse doing it like that.
Yes that is true, but odds could also get better too. So it goes both ways

Let me explain WHY I think they're trash, especially for MMA betting purposes. I'll look over the MMA bets thread and I'll ALWAYS see something like this: you have a fighter who is like -200 and instead of playing it straight, that person gets greedy and parlays it with a -400 favorite to get "value". This encourages undisciplined betting and many in this thread do it so you can't tell me parlays aren't losing anyone money

Mathematically speaking, yes you have the potential of a greater return and a lesser loss by parlaying two teams instead of playing them separately. But you are also giving up money every time your parlay splits (one winner and one loser). It all evens out mathematically, that's not my hatred w parlays. It's the psychology behind it. How many times do we hear about the jackpot parlay that hits and pays like +2000? Pretty rare. But how many wasted parlays do we see people make trying to chase that parlay? And how many times do we see people throw stupid props in these long parlays that the person normally wouldn't play, but are only throwing them in a parlay because it'll make their parlay payout so much more kick-ass

So yes, mathematically there's nothing positiven or negative about parlays. But yeah, it opens the door for bad betting. Why do you think limits are much higher for parlays? It encourages people to play them
Parlays are trash if you are doing have 3+ legs. I only do doubles and I find them to be quite effective for MMA. But people doing 10 leg parlays AKA lotto parlays are just trying to get lucky and are giving away money.

Or when two separate events are on at the same time and you don't have the luxury to wait for the first to end and put your stake on the second or third or whatever

Parlays are trash if you are doing have 3+ legs. I only do doubles and I find them to be quite effective for MMA. But people doing 10 leg parlays AKA lotto parlays are just trying to get lucky and are giving away money.
But it goes back to my first point about value. You're not doing anything good by throwing a -300 favorite in a parlay. Parlays encourage plays and thoughts of this.The fact that the term "parlay fodder" comes up so often in these threads just proves my point. If there is no value in playing a -300 favorite, you shouldn't be playing it in a parlay

Or when two separate events are on at the same time and you don't have the luxury to wait for the first to end and put your stake on the second or third or whatever
This is the only time I understand making a parlay

But it goes back to my first point about value. You're not doing anything good by throwing a -300 favorite in a parlay. Parlays encourage plays and thoughts of this.The fact that the term "parlay fodder" comes up so often in these threads just proves my point. If there is no value in playing a -300 favorite, you shouldn't be playing it in a parlay
True but a -300 can still have value and if you don't wanna play that number straight then parlaying can be a good option. But like I said, I only like doubles, anything more and you're asking for trouble.

True but a -300 can still have value and if you don't wanna play that number straight then parlaying can be a good option. But like I said, I only like doubles, anything more and you're asking for trouble.
If you can find value in a -300 favorite then you should have no problem playing it straight (because it's inherently the same). The issue is- people think they're getting that play w better odds by throwing it in a parlay which is 100% false

Parlays increase +/- variation on results, therefore are a good way to go if one can accept leveraged win/losses AND have already a positive returns record.

Round robyns are an extra mild version of parlays.

Straight bets offer the advantages of weighting different selections with different amount of money, and usually having an easier time calculating results and reflecting on them.

Parlays increase +/- variation on results, therefore are a good way to go if one can accept leveraged win/losses AND have already a positive returns record.

Round robyns are an extra mild version of parlays.

Straight bets offer the advantages of weighting different selections with different amount of money, and usually having an easier time calculating results and reflecting on them.
What do you mean by they increase +/- variation

Doesnt matter if you like betting straight or parlays, you're risking money for an unsure thing.

Hookers and blow are a sure thing tho.

Light sparring yes as in just moving around, you don't need to spar hard when you are a vet like Mas. Hard sparring takes way too much out of you and subsequently your career/chin. We have countless examples of this in MMA.

I mean you don't have to be dropping bombs but you need someone that is going to push you. I don't see Mas having that in this camp.

I mean you don't have to be dropping bombs but you need someone that is going to push you. I don't see Mas having that in this camp.

I really dislike when non fighters think they know better than actual fighters when it comes to training.

Masvidal did bring coaches and sparring partners with him to Colorado, just said so in an interview. Said he had a great camp and may do camps in Colorado in the future.

You are correct and this is essentially the same thing rebel was saying earlier.

But it doesn't sound like you dislike paralys, but how people USE parlays, and at the common misconception of parlays "adding value".

Parlays are nothing more than a tool, they neither add nor subtract value. There is nothing to hate, you could literally make the same sequence of straight bets and it would make no difference.

What do you mean by they increase +/- variation

What he means is, I think, that Parlays are a tool that you can use to leverage bigger plays onto "high value" lines, while hopefully having succesful straight bets at the same time. Which is a strategic discussion on how to use parlays, pretty much what JB said earlier, everyone is going to use them differently and it's up to the individual to understand what they are.

Looks like this ufc event is starting early on saturday night by 3 hours then the normal start time.
https://www.ufc.tv/video/ufc-denver-2017
9pm for Brits :)
So lame, I'm getting a tattoo Saturday and idk if I'll even be done by the time Assuncao/Sterling begins. If they have a TV then I'm gonna try to get the artist to put the fights on but that could be really bad news if for some reason I explode with anger and screw him up haha.

Last edited:
Masvidal did bring coaches and sparring partners with him to Colorado, just said so in an interview. Said he had a great camp and may do camps in Colorado in the future.

This guy watched the countdown and saw that one guy with Masvidal and made assumptions. Promo's shouldnt be trusted, I thought Penn made his camp with Winkjlejohn's when he did it with Parillo.

Mas has said he brought out his coaches, training partners etc to Colorao and that it was expensive but he'd like to keep doing it.

I want to bet Caceres, I love what he's doing with his striking, but I'm having too many visions of the Kanehara fight. Knight seems very similar... aggressive striking and mixes up the takedowns well... and he's bigger. Caceres might be getting overrated after fighting Miller, a guy who just stands there and lets you piece him up.

Without parlays its nearly impossible to have extremely high profit days. If you're okay with making 2k or less per event then parlays aren't your thing. If you want anymore profit you'll have to be willing to risk way more.But in agreeing with your point, I think parlays in any other sport other than MMA is just throwing money away. Since 5dimes has props it gives bettors a lot of possibilities in MMA if you have enough experience in capping fights.

Overall it truly just depends on the gambler.Some people have loads of success while others are better off playing straight up. Either way, beginners should for sure avoid parlays.

I want to bet Caceres, I love what he's doing with his striking, but I'm having too many visions of the Kanehara fight. Knight seems very similar... aggressive striking and mixes up the takedowns well... and he's bigger. Caceres might be getting overrated after fighting Miller, a guy who just stands there and lets you piece him up.

He was just as good against Yair.

But I understand the concerns, he's batting .500 but he's improved imo. Seems like its clicking for him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back