News UFC have concluded physiology study on "Sweet Sweat" - will apparently help their heavy cutters

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
"A groundbreaking study conducted at the UFC Performance Institute in Las Vegas sheds light on the physiological responses to the application of Sweet Sweat topical gel during exercise and heat exposure in world-class combat sports athletes. Focused on evaluating the effectiveness of Sweet Sweat in inducing profuse sweating and promoting acute weight cut among professional MMA athletes, the research provided valuable insights into the effectiveness."

"The study included a group of male and female professional MMA athletes who have a history of unweildy weight-cutting activities in preparation for competition, including popular UFC bantamweight champion Sean O’Malley. The participants completed a series of independent visits to the UFC Performance Institute to participate in the study. The interventions included submaximal exercise and passive heat exposure in a dry sauna, both with and without the application of Sweet Sweat."

"The study employed a thorough methodology where participants maintained 24-hour food diaries and received standardized pre-trial meals. Training logs, body mass, and resting measurements of Heart Rate Variability (HRV), saliva osmolality, and temperature were recorded. Results following 40 minutes of submaximal exercise revealed that the application of Sweet Sweat induced significantly greater sweat loss compared to the control group. This increase was associated with elevated thermogenic responses, higher skin and core temperature changes (none of which had detrimental effects on cardiac/autonomic nervous system function or saliva osmolality). On average, Sweet Sweat application led to 210g more sweat loss (0.2%), due to a 2% greater skin temperature, and a 0.7% greater core temperature."

"Combat sport athletes, particularly those in MMA, frequently employ diverse strategies to manage their weight, utilizing chronic and acute approaches to compete in weight divisions below their actual body weight. Chronic strategies typically involve targeted reductions in body fat and muscle mass. In contrast, acute methods often include practices such as dehydration tactics. While these weight-reduction practices are widespread, the associated risks and negative effects on athletic performance are well-documented. However, the present study found no difference in physiological disruption when compared to the control group during a 40-minute exercise intervention."

"When it comes to weight cutting, the objective is to extract water from the body, elevating the temperature through continuous sweating, hard work, and training. Sweet Sweat is the secret weapon for fighters during this critical phase, the go-to tool when shedding water weight becomes crucial,” said UFC lightweight, Jalin Turner. “During a challenging weight cut of 9 days and over 20 pounds, my every session involved applying Sweet Sweat to give me the extra edge I knew I would need. With determination, we overcame adversity, and I successfully made weight."

"Dedication to Sweet Sweat products within the UFC community is evident through individuals like Forrest Griffin, UFC VP of Athlete Development, who customizes each athlete's cut with Sweet Sweat to enhance performance and prolong careers. These findings advance the scientific understanding of Sweet Sweat and highlight its potential benefits for athletes involved in combat sports and weight-cutting activities. The demonstrated efficacy in promoting acute sweat loss without adverse effects on key physiological parameters positions Sweet Sweat as a valuable tool in the arsenal of professional athletes. Looking ahead, Sweet Sweat and UFC are committed to furthering their research, broadening the scope to explore the product's effects on diverse athlete populations."

Source: https://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-conclu...ical-gel-sweet-sweat-impacts-acute-weight-cut

images

Sweet sweat is a life saver. Things not cheap but totally worth it. I find that not only do you sweat more, it helps you break that initial sweat that can be very hard to do once you do your second weight cut

"When it comes to weight cutting, the objective is to extract water from the body, elevating the temperature through continuous sweating, hard work, and training. Sweet Sweat is the secret weapon for fighters during this critical phase, the go-to tool when shedding water weight becomes crucial,” said UFC lightweight, Jalin Turner. “During a challenging weight cut of 9 days and over 20 pounds, my every session involved applying Sweet Sweat to give me the extra edge I knew I would need. With determination, we overcame adversity, and I successfully made weight."
Truly groundbreaking. The first ever "Study" to be supplemented by a not non-sponsored not non-pre-scripted advertisement for a non-prescriptive by a professional athlete.

"Sweet sweat. It's not a secret weapon if you've heard about it."

UFC is in the fight business. And in the fight business you have to not only give out Venum coupons so the pro athletes can be walking ad-banners at a loss, but also make money with selling your own supplements. Only smart to fabricate your own studies around that.

During a series of 40-minute submaximal exercise sessions, athletes using Sweet Sweat experienced a notable increase in sweat loss (-1.3%) compared to those without Sweet Sweat (-1.1%). This difference, translating to a mean loss of 210g of body weight, holds meaningful implications within weight classes for MMA athletes.
I'm no mathematician, but that's only .2% of a difference that leads to an absolute difference of 210grams of bodyweight??
Wouldn't that mean that the total bodyweight would be 210g x 500 or rather 210g/0.2% ?!
That would be a whopping 105000grams or 105kg if you will. Now either before or after the weightcut, that can't possibly be the weight of a representative group of athletes (especially with the mentioned names of Sean O'Malley and Jalin Turner.)

Other well-known UFC athletes who have used Sweet Sweat include former strawweight champion Jessica Andrade, former two-time flyweight champion Brandon Moreno, and contenders such as Brian Ortega, Raul Rosas Jr., Tatiana Suarez, and Natan Levy.
None of those are fighters above LW. There is either an error in my math, in their math, or in the transparency of their study. I'm confused by this.

Old News: Trainers & Fighters have been using Sweet Sweat for a decade now. Nearly everyone under the heavyweight limit applies this throughout the cutting process.
I'm gonna take a random stab here and guess that UFC recently added this product to their investment catalog.

I'm no mathematician, but that's only .2% of a difference that leads to an absolute difference of 210grams of bodyweight??
Wouldn't that mean that the total bodyweight would be 210g x 500 or rather 210g/0.2% ?!
That would be a whopping 105000grams or 105kg if you will. Now either before or after the weightcut, that can't possibly be the weight of a representative group of athletes (especially with the mentioned names of Sean O'Malley and Jalin Turner.)

None of those are fighters above LW. There is either an error in my math, in their math, or in the transparency of their study. I'm confused by this.
I don't think that last part is about them taking part in the study, seems more like advertising imo. That they have previously confirmed using the product.

I use to use an over the counter make-up removal gel to do what “Sweet Sweat” use to do with the same results

It was called Albolene, it was my secret sauce and would cut over 15lbs regularly with its help

IMG_6951.jpeg

I don't think that last part is about them taking part in the study, seems more like advertising imo. That they have previously confirmed using the product.
Yeah, very possibly, but that's unnecessarily confusing then isn't it?
All the mentioned fighters are light. Why would they only go with extremely heavy fighters if the ones using it are much lighter.
Seriously. They claim the athletes taking part were male and female.

The study included a group of male and female professional MMA athletes who have a history of undertaking weight-cutting activities in preparation for competition, including the popular and current UFC bantamweight champion Sean O'Malley.
And apparently all of them have done weight cutting in the past. Which should essentially exclude HWs for the most part. So the heaviest weightclass to test would be LHW whichs limit is set at 205lbs which is about 93kg. Now even middle weights could possible get as a high as 105kg in weight, certainly in offseason, but if you include female fighters, who can't even fight above 135lbs in the UFC, it's unclear to me how an only mildly based study could even land at that average weight.

Again, there might be something wrong with my math, or I might have misunderstood something, but I am confused with this information.

Soundz like some good stuff to apply when I work outside.
<mma4>

Ayo I feel like ting is a play by the UFC to market sweet sweat to chunky gym heads fam my boy Big Mac back inna day when mans was scrappin' would just slap on Crisco and Vicks go for a run that stuff banged made HW no stress ain't miss weight once still had energy to buck all 3 rds eatin dem shots like Timbits🏋️‍♂️💦 UFC some next level grinders fam and I rate that hustle mad respect 💯👊

Ayo I feel like ting is a play by the UFC to market sweet sweat to chunky gym heads fam my boy Big Mac back inna day when mans was scrappin' would just slap on Crisco and Vicks go for a run that stuff banged made HW no stress ain't miss weight once still had energy to buck all 3 rds eatin dem shots like Timbits🏋️‍♂️💦 UFC some next level grinders fam and I rate that hustle mad respect 💯👊
bro why did I read this in a Patois accent? Are you a speaker?

Truly groundbreaking. The first ever "Study" to be supplemented by a not non-sponsored not non-pre-scripted advertisement for a non-prescriptive by a professional athlete.

"Sweet sweat. It's not a secret weapon if you've heard about it."

UFC is in the fight business. And in the fight business you have to not only give out Venum coupons so the pro athletes can be walking ad-banners at a loss, but also make money with selling your own supplements. Only smart to fabricate your own studies around that.

To me the keyword there is ”mean”.

”…translating to a mean loss of 210 grams”

i think you calculate a mean from your data samples by adding all the samples together and dividing by the number of samples.

The more I think of that the less it makes sense. Why would you care about a mean sweat loss? The significant numbers are -1.1% and -1.3% … which kinda prove it’s not significant at all. How much does a 140lb lady sweat in 40 minutes? Less than the average sherdogger eating a hearty meal, I bet.

I bet it costs a shit ton compared to how much it helps you sweat.

<28>

Back