UFC on FOX 20: Holly Holm vs. Valentina Shevchenko PBP (Discussion)

More accurately, her quality of opposition looks awful now. Like a high school senior whipping up on a bunch of 7th graders.
Eh, can't really count someone who nobody had heard of a year ago, and NuNes traditionally looks like crap at least as often as she looks good. I hate Ronda, but she fought everyone in front of her bar Cyborg.

What's so funny is Holly says in the post fight interview that they knew Shevchenko was a counter puncher and they were ready for it. Gee, you could have fooled me. Shevchenko just basically sat back and let Holly come to her the whole fight.

Because Holly was not ready for the diversity of Shev's counters .. I've said many times, Holly is very technically sound, but also very basic in her style. Valentina had perfect counters for every strike that Holly threw, and some of those counters were really nice combo's.

yeah valentina was just getting the better of most exchanges. I don't think round 5 was close, either. would have to rewatch anyway cause I got into a nice in-play bet on Valentina and kept cheering hard for her after that, so maybe I got a little biased too.
Naw, you're right man, round 5 was Valentina's too. I'm amazed the judges got everything right tonight. I freely admit I have a Holly bias so I'm more open to see those rounds as closer but the right fighter won and that's all that matters.

I know one of the thai trainers there, Oron Deachkalon..... guy is hilarious, although he probably wasnt there when you visited
Name doesn't ring a bell. I was in the beginners so maybe i was too shit to be trained by him. I'm shocking with names, I remember 'mr miyagi' that's it.

16x shadow boxing champion
l3IAXzo.gif

Eh, can't really count someone who nobody had heard of a year ago, and NuNes traditionally looks like crap at least as often as she looks good. I hate Ronda, but she fought everyone in front of her bar Cyborg.

You mean the one quality opponent available that she kept ducking?

135 looks worlds better now than it did a year ago. That's a good thing.

More accurately, her quality of opposition looks awful now. Like a high school senior whipping up on a bunch of 7th graders.
exactly. and Ronda isn't anywhere near Nunes, Shevchenko or Holm now. these newer fighters + Pena are going to make the rest of the division look as bad as it really was when Ronda was LOCKING ARMBARS IN 13 SECONDS ffs.

You are repeating yourself. I understood what you said the first time. You just haven't made a good case as to why anyone should get upset at the change. Everybody knows they are women without being told, don't they? Do YOU need to be told they are women? Can't you figure it out without being told? I bet you can. No need to make everyone say it if they already know it. I never complained about the use of "women's bantamweight" and never thought it was a big deal. But the fact that you think that the change is a big deal seems laughable to me. Why should anybody make a big deal of it as you are doing, unless you just love ranting about feminists and white knights and don't really need a good reason to do so.

They don't fight in the bantamweight division.

They fight in the women's bantamweight division.

Period.

Why do they call in the WNBA? Anyone can see on the screen they mostly look like women. They should just drop the W in NBA right? Same thing.

White knight morons like yourself agitated for the change because saying "women's bantamweight" instead of just "bantamweight" is somehow sexist.

Name doesn't ring a bell. I was in the beginners so maybe i was too shit to be trained by him. I'm shocking with names, I remember 'mr miyagi' that's it.
na he just joined them last year, he used to be the main trainer at Sumalee . Think it was a year ago he left and started working at Tiger. he wouldve made it fun for you if you were a beginner..... he always makes sure people are enjoying themselves whilst training

Holly destroys her and then loses two in a row, Zingano loses, Correia loses, etc... People questioned her record before, it just looks worse all the time. And yes, she did fight the best available, but it's clear the best available was pretty bad.

exactly. and Ronda isn't anywhere near Nunes, Shevchenko or Holm now. these newer fighters + Pena are going to make the rest of the division look as bad as it really was when Ronda was LOCKING ARMBARS IN 13 SECONDS ffs.

I'm not saying I could ever take Ronda in an MMA fight, but even my 43-year old self with 6 weeks training would last longer than 13 seconds, guaranteed.

You mean the one quality opponent available that she kept ducking?

135 looks worlds better now than it did a year ago. That's a good thing.
No it doesn't. One new fighter in the top 10. Other than that, it's just a shuffling of the roster.

Because Holly was not ready for the diversity of Shev's counters .. I've said many times, Holly is very technically sound, but also very basic in her style. Valentina had perfect counters for every strike that Holly threw, and some of those counters were really nice combo's.

True but Holly is better as a counter puncher herself. That's why she could easily beat Ronda who just kept bum rushing her. Against someone who sits back, Holly always comes up short on tons of punches. Most of her opponents just don't have any offense themselves. She became the aggressor and played right in to Valentina's game. It was almost a reverse of her and Ronda. That's why I said you could have fooled me that they were ready for it. If you're ready for it, why would you play in to your opponent's strengths?

Maybe Holm should retire?

Turning 35 in october

Women that age are literally just hitting their physical prime though while men are well past it. But reflexes for both genders only slow over time, and that's especially bad for Holm considering she's entirely a point fighting striker.

If she loses again (and I think she will) then the UFC is cutting her regardless.

Back