UFC should implement a “reverse stand up” rule.

PlasticFishBowl

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Guys are being inactive on the feet? Make them get down on the mat, interlocked, in a 50/50 position. This would actually solve so many problems with guys like Izzy point fighting (especially against wrestlers).

It’s only fair if guys get stood up for inactivity. Lay em down for inactivity.

<EdgyBrah>

It's a crazy idea, but not the craziest idea ever. It does make some semblance of sense. It'll never happen though. They do stand-ups when the fight is stalled on the ground because people enjoy stand and bang fights. They're objectively more entertaining to the average casual fan. "Reverse stand ups" would be going against that.

Can you imagine someone like Ryan Hall or Paul Craig just running around and avoiding the action on the feet in order to get the fight brought to the ground by the ref? It would be quite absurd.

Guys are being inactive on the feet? Make them get down on the mat, interlocked, in a 50/50 position. This would actually solve so many problems with guys like Izzy point fighting (especially against wrestlers).

It’s only fair if guys get stood up for inactivity. Lay em down for inactivity.

<EdgyBrah>

post a pic as an example of what you are talking about.

They get separated standing (clinches, takedown attempts against the fence) way more than they get stood up these days. It's all about breaking when it seems clear that the action won't advance. You can't ever be clear about that when it comes to striking as a big shot could come at any time.

MMA is not the sophisticated sport for intellectuals that people here seem to think. Vast majority of the paying and viewing audiences want to see standing and banging

Imagine if this happened during Izzy/Romero lol. Then again it's on Romero to try to take Izzy down. I don't recall him trying. Shit idea but I liked for originality.

Point fighting with strikes is not an issue because you have to hit your opponent to get points. Every strike has the potential of stopping the fight. Cage hugging is a bigger issue but from your recommendation, it sounds like you want a rule that would greatly favour grapplers who are unable to get the fight to the ground or pin their opponent on the cage.

If Izzy is point fighting he is indeed fighting. And scoring points. Why would he by layed down?

Yes his style is not great but it's not inactivity.

Imagine if this happened during Izzy/Romero lol. Then again it's on Romero to try to take Izzy down. I don't recall him trying. Shit idea but I liked for originality.

Im pretty sure he tried once or twice, but it wasn't totally committed attempts sir.

D9rb8PRWsAEq7Mf.jpg

But instead: "let me grapple bro!!"

purse reduction for timidity
guaranteed KO/SUB bonuses instead of the teacher's pet method used today
objective panel of sherdoggers votes for the most boring fight of the night and they lose 50% of their fight purse

This is a crazy idea. Who decides who gets top and bottom? How do you have a 50/50 position on the ground?

Also, stand ups for inactivity are, imo, significantly more rare than they were 10 years ago or even 5 years ago

Back