Underrated performances that made you say wow?

CroCopsLHK

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I would start with Thompson vs Whitaker. I felt Whitaker was chased to MW and for good reason and result. He's been a top fighter there for years and even a champion.

But that version of Thompson was fast, sharp and deadly. Great lunges and KO power

I would start with Thompson vs Whitaker. I felt Whitaker was chased to MW and for good reason and result. He's been a top fighter there for years and even a champion.

But that version of Thompson was fast, sharp and deadly. Great lunges and KO power
For me a less well known fight that stood out was even Lorenz Larkin beat the piss out of Neil Magny, who was then ranked #8.

Lorenz picked him apart with kicks and then finished him with elbows. Every legal part of Neil's body was brutalized.

Yves Edwards always had incredible awareness when he took a shot with fight ending kicks/knees

Wonderboy vs Hendricks was much more impressive given Hendricks hadn't yet fallen. He'd only had his losses to GSP and Lawler that many felt could've still gone his way.

Wonderboy comes in and knocks him down like 5x and KOs him in 3 minutes.

Nobody seems to ever mention this fight even though it's one of those truly flawless performances. Doesn't help that the UFC absolutely fucked WB over here as they gave Woodley the title shot instead for having simply made weight against Hendricks after Hendricks had been medically pulled from their bout, and not for WB actually beating him. WB instead got Rory... who he also beat.

We got robbed of Lawler vs WB because of this and that would've probably been another classic in Lawler's reign (even if he'd have lost this one) instead of the 1st round KO to Woodley and shit Woodley/WB fights we got instead.

Pat Healy beating up Jim Miller was an awesome performance that was quickly forgotten about.

Benson vs Thatch was impressive at its time and also quickly forgotten about.

Rockhold vs Costas was impressive too. Nobody was able to bully Phillippou on the feet and Luke cut through him like butter and nobody cared.

Idk how the community felt about it but I was thoroughly impressed with Rumble vs Phil that was a fun surprise.

Rousimar vs Pierce was overshadowed badly by the controversy Paulhares caused. Pierce had really close losses to a perennial contender and future champion, was beating up everyone else and Rousimar made him a highlight reel.

Rose v Carla. It was jaw dropping. Francis and black beast can take a backseat.

Kris Moutinho.

getting beat to a plup is not an admirable skill nor it should be encouraged. this type of pointless cockfighting
is one of the reason why mma is still a niche sport.

getting beat to a plup is not an admirable skill nor it should be encouraged. this type of pointless cockfighting
To me every division needed a Moutinho or a Maldonado.

If I were to pick a random, recent and UFC specific performance that I don’t think anyone would mention, I’d say Jake Matthews Vs Andre Fialho.

Bigger than soccer bro — cope and seethe.

<31>

For me a less well known fight that stood out was even Lorenz Larkin beat the piss out of Neil Magny, who was then ranked #8.

Lorenz picked him apart with kicks and then finished him with elbows. Every legal part of Neil's body was brutalized.

I forgot about that fight.
Me and a friend was going nuts watching that.

Larkin was fully charged for that one sir.

If I were to pick a random, recent and UFC specific performance that I don’t think anyone would mention, I’d say Jake Matthews Vs Andre Fialho.

Jake looked like a world beater in that fight.

Antonio Rodrigo Nougeria vs Mirko Filipovic......Nougeria was close to being finished twice in this fight and preserved. He got Cro Cop to ground in second round and pulled off a win.

Jake looked like a world beater in that fight.

That fight made him look like one of the best boxers in MMA. His skill set almost appeared overnight as well it seemed, I was legitimately impressed.

Diaz vs Gomi

Back in the "Pride is King" days, I don't think many gave Diaz a chance.

John Hathaway - Diego Sanchez, Ralph Gracie - Dokonjonosuke Mishima etc. There are too many to list.

Back