Unpopular take: I'd already rank Pereira's resume above Khabib's

Yes, I'm the obsessed one.

Obsessed with seeing Pereira fight again in 3 weeks.

1192158641_alex-pereira-knocks-out-jamahal-hill-in-round-1-at-ufc-300-credit-xufc_202404.jpg
Good news! I am as well. Can't wait.

I think what made Khabib so special and so highly regarded was his dominance.
Yeah his resume might not be among the best but his performances are mostly flawless. 29 wins without being knocked down or even barely bleeding is pretty remarkable
I wish we saw him fight longer
I haven't vetted the stats myself but Supposedly Khabib has more 10-8 rounds then any other combat sport participant... Never Lost, Never Pissed Hot, Never had a unscrupulous win...

Khabib left the game at his pinnacle and could have easily added to his legacy by running through LW for another couple of years. There was no one including Oliveira that was going to offer any real challenge.

He arrived, he dominated, he left.

I haven't vetted the stats myself but Supposedly Khabib has more 10-8 rounds then any other combat sport participant... Never Lost, Never Pissed Hot, Never had a unscrupulous win...
There is literally no way Khabib has more 10-8s than any combat sport combatant lmao.

In boxing your opponent loses a point when they get knocked down. A guy like Wilder who's knocked down nearly every opponent he's ever fought would have dozens of more 10-8s than Khabib, let alone guys with much bigger records. Archie Moore has over 100 KOs, his number would shit on Khabib's.

Khabib did however go from like the Johnson to Poirier fights scoring a 10-8 every fight which is impressive. The rules also did just switch to the more liberal 10-8 definitions right after Johnson though.

Khabib left the game at his pinnacle and could have easily added to his legacy by running through LW for another couple of years. There was no one including Oliveira that was going to offer any real challenge.

He arrived, he dominated, he left.
You've been around here since 2010 and you really still think guys don't eventually run into somebody.

SMH.

His strength of schedule lacks when comparing him to the actual GOATs but his dominance was insane. He definitely felt unbeatable during his title run.

You've been around here since 2010 and you really still think guys don't eventually run into somebody.

SMH.
Who was Khabib going to run into over the next 2 years that you would honestly favour over him? Who at LW right now do you favour over Khabib?

I dont have any what ifs about Khabib.

War Khabib.

Undisputed undefeated hall of fame coach of the year. Good enough for me!
That's good for you.

I think that Khabib's good enough for everybody.
More importantly: You holding up ok?
hard to compare. khabib was more dominant and never really looked beatable other than early on when he fought roided tibau. alex has looked beatable... was losing to izzy before he got the ko, ko'd in 2nd fight, split decision over 40 year old Jan B.

but yeah alex has done what nobody in the ufc has EVER done. win the MW belt and jump to LHW, get the belt, and defend it. he has also defeated 5 former champs (izzy, jan, jiri, strickland, hill). izzy had a 23 fight streak going at MW, jiri had a 13 fight streak at LHW... before running into that left hook
^Solid take
Pros and cons to both arguments
<seedat>
Khabib isn't the only dominant grappler in UFC history. Name me another dominant grappler who's never been knocked down, or cut? The cope around khabib is hilarious lol
I never understood why purported "fans" of the sport feel the need to slobber over one fighter and denigrate all of the others (especially the elite ones.)
That said, if I was personally close with a fighter (only ever been acquainted,) I'd get it.
Even so, sometimes it's a bit much.

He's above Khabib for sure, that's not controversial. Or it shouldn't be.
Khabib had like 3 or 4 good wins and didn't move up.

Poatan is just getting started bodying cunts at LHW.

If you can't see that, then I'm sorry to say that you're not looking at the game objectively.

Who was Khabib going to run into over the next 2 years that you would honestly favour over him? Who at LW right now do you favour over Khabib?

Holly Holm, Werdum, Serra, Edgar, Edwards, Strickland, Grasso, etc... all might have something to say about big upsets in title fights.

Dude did fight like a nearly perfect machine, though.

Khabib was one of the most dominant champs to ever fight MMA but he didn't stick around long enough to cement himself in the GOAT discussion. I'm still pissed we missed out on him fighting Tony when both were at their zenith.

Pereira's resume is better at this point. Perhaps not as dominant (debatable) but he's been evicting people of their consciousness in two different weight classes in his mid 30s and he's looking to make it three.

The key word here is RESUME. Pereira's resume is more eye-catching. He's been in top positions in big-name firms with shorter stints at each place. Khabib has resume that doesn't look as flashy; he's been in one job in a below-exec position for years, in a way more competitve sector; everyone in the company knows it's him that runs everything and if he leaves, theyre screwed. You might hire Pereira over Khabib based on the resume alone, but when you do the reference checks, you realize the people vouching for Khabib just seem to be way for sincere and thorough in their praise.

Pereira went up, won and defended.

Given his skillset, i've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but here he is.... And defending, which can't be understated.

Dude is special. With that said, i can still picture him losing to someone who can get him down and impose their will (A khabib-like fighter coincidentally), but in the meantime, he's in rarified air and beyond Khabib in my eyes.

The key word here is RESUME. Pereira's resume is more eye-catching. He's been in top positions in big-name firms with shorter stints at each place. Khabib has resume that doesn't look as flashy; he's been in one job in a below-exec position for years, in a way more competitve sector; everyone in the company knows it's him that runs everything and if he leaves, theyre screwed. You might hire Pereira over Khabib based on the resume alone, but when you do the reference checks, you realize the people vouching for Khabib just seem to be way for sincere and thorough in their praise.
What a stupid analogy.

If I'm "hiring" somebody it's Pereira who's trying to defend again in 3 weeks, not Khabib who defended once a year then abruptly fucked off.

Holly Holm, Werdum, Serra, Edgar, Edwards, Strickland, Grasso, etc... all might have something to say about big upsets in title fights.

Dude did fight like a nearly perfect machine, though.
Holloway just face plant KO'd Justin with 1 second left in their title fight and there's still somehow people on here pretending they know how every fight's going to go.

Khabib's record just like jones imo is a tad bit overrated for having zero losses

Both of them didnt fight as much as many other goat candidates. Body of work and strength of schedule should matter

What a stupid analogy.

If I'm "hiring" somebody it's Pereira who's trying to defend again in 3 weeks, not Khabib who defended once a year then abruptly fucked off.
Well, its the OP's analogy. If Im hiring someone to fight MMA fights over a long period and win them, I want someone who can grapple.

Dumb. Khabib has more top and mid-tier wins than Periera by far.

And I doubt Periera sticks around long enough to surpass it.

The way Khabib continues to live rent free in everyone's heads even after retiring goes to show why he's still the GOAT.

Dumb. Khabib has more top and mid-tier wins than Periera by far.

And I doubt Periera sticks around long enough to surpass it.

Poatan also has been gifted favorable stylistic matchups.

He wouldn't even beat Ankalaev (if Ank is smart enough to take it to the ground).

Back