Usman vs Covington thoughts free

WarFan90

I'm not a rat, I'm a turtle, a ninja turtle.
@purple
Reaction score
Rewatch has me thinking that....
A- that fight was for sure 2-2 going into the 5th, I remember thinking round 2 was closer than I thought upon rewatching.

B- that was a CRAZY early stoppage, he took a lot of damage leading up to that, and I think refs should take into account accumulating damage as far as stoppages. That being said he did not seem concussed or unable to intelligently defend himself by any definition.

C- Covington won the first 3 minutes of round 5, not dominantly, but decisively. The first knockdown could have been overcame, and he could have still won the round. The second knockdown imo sealed the fight barring a crazy onslaught by Colby in the last minute.

D- I'f this fight wasn't stopped this would be a very intriguing rematch. I think it still should be considering

even if the fight wasn't stopped, colby would have lost by unanimous decision, colby was not the champ, hence no rematch needed yet, UNLESS colby become the new no1 contender.

Wish there was a bit of grappling involved here and there, but yeah the fight was a clear 2-2 going into the fifth. The stoppage is debatable and thats coming from someone who would've loved to see Colby KO'd stiff. Decision would've been Kamarus anyway. Colby is one tough bastard, Usman should've punished his midsection a lot more though.

I rewatched it several times and still have trouble deciding if it was 2-2 or 3-1 either guy.

It did feel like Unman had momentum more at times. You could see his shots were hurting Colby more, the body stuff especially.

A- that fight was for sure 2-2 going into the 5th, I remember thinking round 2 was closer than I thought upon rewatching.

B- that was a CRAZY early stoppage, he took a lot of damage leading up to that, and I think refs should take into account accumulating damage as far as stoppages. That being said he did not seem concussed or unable to intelligently defend himself by any definition.

C- Covington won the first 3 minutes of round 5, not dominantly, but decisively. The first knockdown could have been overcame, and he could have still won the round. The second knockdown imo sealed the fight barring a crazy onslaught by Colby in the last minute.

D- I'f this fight wasn't stopped this would be a very intriguing rematch. I think it still should be considering
Everything is accurate in your post but that Colby had any chance at winning the 5th round or the fight. That said I don't think it should've been stopped and if Colby was allowed to finish the fight that fight would've gone down in history.

If only the stoppage would be treated like Overeem vs Walt Harris fight.

I had it 2-2 as well.

Judges had it 2-2, 3-1 Usman, and 3-1 Colby. Rd 5 was en route to a 10-8 with the KDs. Worst case scenario it was 10-9 for Usman. So worst case scenario, Usman still would win a split decision.

The stoppage was one of those like Cejudo vs Cruz. Not ideal, but not terrible. Could've let it go a few seconds more, but it probably would've been a similar outcome. The rematch is still intriguing if Colby can win one more fight.

Usman getting that knockdown secured round 5 for him. Assuming Colby would've survived. Usman was always going to win that decision.

Great fight tho Both showed great heart.

Say it however you like.
There should NOT be a rematch.

Not because it wouldn't be good, but because that loss was close but not controversial at all.
You said so yourself. Usman would have won the round anyway, and would have won the fight.

A loss like that by someone who was not even the champion does not warrant a title shot.

If Usman was not the champ, then by all means! But not for the belt.

I had it 3-1 Usman. Close rounds but it was evident Usman was landing the bigger shots. Both body and head.

Fun fight though. Colby is a tough dude, I’ve got to admit.

Had it 3-1 for King Colby , One of the most blatant stoppages in recent times (especiallly considering it was in a title fight) alongside Cejudo vs Cruz

Let's see if Usman can get past Burns so we can watch the current biggest rematch in the UFC happen and also watch King Colby reclaim his throne.

Back