Usman vs Covington thoughts free

It was a little weird with the bodyshot Usman took and played off like a nutshot
and when Colby got poked Goddard didn't allow for any timeout

just sayin..

Colby basically stopped him with a body shot and won the fight right there.

Rewatch has me thinking that....
A- that fight was for sure 2-2 going into the 5th, I remember thinking round 2 was closer than I thought upon rewatching.

B- that was a CRAZY early stoppage, he took a lot of damage leading up to that, and I think refs should take into account accumulating damage as far as stoppages. That being said he did not seem concussed or unable to intelligently defend himself by any definition.

C- Covington won the first 3 minutes of round 5, not dominantly, but decisively. The first knockdown could have been overcame, and he could have still won the round. The second knockdown imo sealed the fight barring a crazy onslaught by Colby in the last minute.

D- I'f this fight wasn't stopped this would be a very intriguing rematch. I think it still should be considering
You legitimately had Colby winning any point of the 5th? I had it 2-2 going into the 5th but I had Usman dominate the 5th. Imo had there not been a stoppage it would have been a 10-8 round for Usman.

It was anyone's fight going into the 5th, then Usman clearly - to me anyway - started dominating, and got the job done.

It was a little weird with the bodyshot Usman took and played off like a nutshot
and when Colby got poked Goddard didn't allow for any timeout

just sayin..
There was ZERO backlash and outrage about this blattant and baised reffing.

Usman was hurt by what was clearly a body kick and he faked a nutshot , Goddard played by and robbed Colby of a TKO victory.

Colby is gonna get his revenge.

One of the most blatant stoppages in recent times

Lol yes that is a factual statement. You sound a little like Tito Ortiz...;)

Anyway, I hope if they go at it a 2nd time Colby won't act like a childish little pussy again when he loses. I never had much of an opinion on him until that happened, I was actually a little embarrassed for him. If you talk as much trash as he did you really need to have one short moment where you own what was a very decisive loss (good fight though).

It was a clear 3-1 for The nightmare before Colby got KO'd stiff. However you choose to spin it Usman was going out that octagon the winner. Colby should work his ass back to a title shot. Anyone screaming for an immediate rematch is on crack.

MMA fans don't seem to factor body shots into scoring, but it paid off for Usman in the later rounds.
Unless the body starts bruising almost black, they don't give a fuck.

"reclaim his throne?". that interim belt he's still walking around with? you could see Usmans punches had a bigger effect.

It was a clear 3-1
No it was not. I cant stand Colby but it was 2 to 2 going to the 5th. Usman was going to win the 5th regardless of the stoppage because of the knockdown but it was an amazing, close ass fight.

Reactions: HHJ
That was the best version of a basic fight. I don’t mean basic badly but they just fought with fundamental striking and neither deviated.

I was rooting for Covington, but he was not winning that fight and the stoppage was justified. I am not sure he has the tools to ever be a favorite over Usman. The damage he sustained isn't going to help his cause either.

this fight was one of the saddest moments for me as an mma fan and general. I lost a lot of respect for the mma community in general that night the way colby was spat on after the fight.

I know he talked a whole lot of mess, but don't pretend he didn't show up

I like Usman but I just can't get over that fake nutshot, it's clear it lands on the stomach, I understand if you can get away with it, you will, but still...

Colby 1,2,4

Though round 5 was possibly on it's way too being a 10-8 with new judging criteria and that would of been epic situation for a draw given their rivalry.

But that's in the past can't wait for Marty vs. Gilbert

It was a clear 3-1 for The nightmare before Colby got KO'd stiff. However you choose to spin it Usman was going out that octagon the winner. Colby should work his ass back to a title shot. Anyone screaming for an immediate rematch is on crack.
Are you blind?

I thought it was a good stoppage. Usman came clutch when he needed to and that's what champions do.

even if the fight wasn't stopped, colby would have lost by unanimous decision, colby was not the champ, hence no rematch needed yet, UNLESS colby become the new no1 contender.

I mean Colby could've pulled a GSP and took a decision like in the Hendricks fight if it went the distance.

Back