Usyk has an iron chin but a weak body

Guys don't wear cups in bjj? That is crazy to me! I remember Rogan told a story about how he was rolling and a guy kneed him in the nuts or something very similar to you and he was bleeding out of his dick. So scary.

Yeah, grappling doesn’t do cups.

When I was a kid before I wrestled I was in karate class and there were cups for that. Lol, some immature teen punted me as hard as he could in the balls thinking my cup would protect me when I was like 6-8 and left me doubled over on the floor and I legitimately saw nothing but white, and thought maybe I’d forgotten to put the cup on at all, but no, it was there. Lol, fuck karate, and fuck cups.

I thought if AJ had targeted the body as his main attack he could have a lot of success in the rematch. Usyk doesn't like a good body shot but who does? Some guys take body shots better than others. Usyk showed he could take a legit hw attack to the body and get out of there w/ a clear win against a solid opponent.

I would still go after the body if I'm Tyson b/c it's one of the few times Usyk has looked bothered so I get the point. He won't go out from body shots but maybe you could slow him down and take his legs away over time if you really target it. There has to be more than just body work to get to a guy as good as Usyk, tho.

I remember Pac had success against an iron chinned Margarito, he had his face mutilated and didn't seem to care all that much. On the other hand, Pac going to the body really seemed to irk him. My guy GGG is more affected by body shots than to his head also, I've noticed. Again he won't get stopped to the body but it def a good idea to work downstairs since his chin has held up so well.

If a guy is known for having a sick chin, I think it's always a good idea to try the body it's a totally different type of pain and affects your breathing etc. that a shot to the face can't do. /rant.
Yeah AJ did have success going to the body in both fights, especially in the rematch, but it wasn't enough. You could see when AJ was digging in with combinations that it would freeze Usyk. Good body work will do that. Normally getting battered there would noticeably slow you down for a while after but Usyk won the rest of the rounds and closed the fight strong. That's a testament to his stamina and resilience.

That said Fury would be wise to target the body to take Usyk's legs but he doesn't have a body attack and he's not that accurate in the first place. Even when guys are standing right in front of him he often misses now imagine a quick constantly moving target. Like you alluded to body work on its own rarely ends heavyweight fights at the world level. I don't even remember the last time a body shot ended a top heavyweight fight. We'd probably have to go back many years.

Has there even been another fighter with such a big discrepancy between their ability to take punches to the head but not to the body?

The most glaring example I can think of is in MMA, not boxing, and that is Matt Brown. And it makes sense that it is a MMA fighter that comes to mind first rather than a boxer.

Guy had a great chin but would routinely get folded up like an accordion by standard body shots.

A guy with such a massive body/head durability discrepancy couldn't make it to the big time in boxing, as he would be broken down long before he made it that far.

didn't see the so called body blows, I just assumed that it might have been one of those attempted tank jobs where a guy tries to get a dq, but I don't know. What bearing will that have on the big fight? not much, is fury a body puncher? and he'll have to bend down so low to do it it might not be worth the risk.

Yeah, grappling doesn’t do cups.

When I was a kid before I wrestled I was in karate class and there were cups for that. Lol, some immature teen punted me as hard as he could in the balls thinking my cup would protect me when I was like 6-8 and left me doubled over on the floor and I legitimately saw nothing but white, and thought maybe I’d forgotten to put the cup on at all, but no, it was there. Lol, fuck karate, and fuck cups.
Weird they don't do cups. I imagine there are quite a few times when you're rubbing your privates against someone else's body while rolling, it must be quite unpleasant for both parties. Especially in no-gi with softer pants.

bro, the worst low blow I had was at, you wont believe it, a beginners bjj class.
In a free roll while I was on the ground, the guy standing slipped on sweat and landed somehow knee to my nut sack. I coughed blood for some reason. Shit got me so paranoid I wore a jockstrap for a year. (In bjj there is no cups or jockstraps, not even on world pro).
yeah, those things happen... but to be fair, it's very rare. i used to wear one in training too, for years. nowadays i don't, and haven't for a really long time. you will sometimes get bumped in the nuts, but what happened to you was an obvious freak accident. not saying you shouldn't wear a cup, by all means do, but what happened to you was an unfortunate outlier. i had far more pain from the edge of the cup pressing into the surrounding tissue than i ever did from getting my nuts smashed.

of course, saying this now i have almost certainly jinxed myself. the next time i roll some fat fuck will elbow me in the dick, guaranteed.

Guys don't wear cups in bjj? That is crazy to me! I remember Rogan told a story about how he was rolling and a guy kneed him in the nuts or something very similar to you and he was bleeding out of his dick. So scary.
some do, but i believe IBJJF competitions don't allow them. not all tournaments are like that though, i wore a cup a few times 10 years ago when i still competed.

i think most experienced people will say it's too uncomfortable to wear one when rolling.

Weird they don't do cups. I imagine there are quite a few times when you're rubbing your privates against someone else's body while rolling, it must be quite unpleasant for both parties. Especially in no-gi with softer pants.
you become completely desensitized to it. when you start doing BJJ (or wrestling) a lot of the positions will feel super uncomfortable. if you keep training, it goes away quite quickly. i used to think i'd get aroused if i rolled with some hot girl. turns out, when a skilled, athletic chick is trying to choke you the fuck out, you have no time to think about those things. same thing with being uncomfortable for being so close to dudes. the fighting part makes all of that nonsense fade away.

Yeah AJ did have success going to the body in both fights, especially in the rematch, but it wasn't enough. You could see when AJ was digging in with combinations that it would freeze Usyk. Good body work will do that. Normally getting battered there would noticeably slow you down for a while after but Usyk won the rest of the rounds and closed the fight strong. That's a testament to his stamina and resilience.

That said Fury would be wise to target the body to take Usyk's legs but he doesn't have a body attack and he's not that accurate in the first place. Even when guys are standing right in front of him he often misses now imagine a quick constantly moving target. Like you alluded to body work on its own rarely ends heavyweight fights at the world level. I don't even remember the last time a body shot ended a top heavyweight fight. We'd probably have to go back many years.
yeah somebody mentioned on here awhile back body shots at the elite level usually don't end fights. It's hard to find any top guys who have been finished by body shots at the very elite level. Guys like that can take the shots and keep going for the most part.

yeah, those things happen... but to be fair, it's very rare. i used to wear one in training too, for years. nowadays i don't, and haven't for a really long time. you will sometimes get bumped in the nuts, but what happened to you was an obvious freak accident. not saying you shouldn't wear a cup, by all means do, but what happened to you was an unfortunate outlier. i had far more pain from the edge of the cup pressing into the surrounding tissue than i ever did from getting my nuts smashed.

of course, saying this now i have almost certainly jinxed myself. the next time i roll some fat fuck will elbow me in the dick, guaranteed.

some do, but i believe IBJJF competitions don't allow them. not all tournaments are like that though, i wore a cup a few times 10 years ago when i still competed.

i think most experienced people will say it's too uncomfortable to wear one when rolling.
makes sense. What belt rank are you btw?

yeah somebody mentioned on here awhile back body shots at the elite level usually don't end fights. It's hard to find any top guys who have been finished by body shots at the very elite level. Guys like that can take the shots and keep going for the most part.
oscar is one.

but i agree, for the most part, the absolute elite usually don't get finished like that. but crawford took the belts from indongo with body shots, canelo finished fielding and took his belt with a body shot, it's been a while but i think inoue put narvaez down for the count with some brutal body work... so it's not like no champions ever get finished with it.

got my black belt in june... i don't dare count the years it took. i feel old as shit.
Duude that's super impressive. Must've been a lot of hard work and dedication. Floy would be proud. Super happy for you that's a huge accomplishment my guy! I know you didn't do it for this but you would destroy like %90+ of humans on Earth even if you didn't box, as I know you do too. Congrats bro, fr.

oscar is one.

but i agree, for the most part, the absolute elite usually don't get finished like that. but crawford took the belts from indongo with body shots, canelo finished fielding and took his belt with a body shot, it's been a while but i think inoue put narvaez down for the count with some brutal body work... so it's not like no champions ever get finished with it.
Other than Oscar it's hard to think of a great fighter getting put down for good with a body shot. Indongo and them are solid but far from the very elite. Donaire got dropped by Inoue but got back up, for instance.

Duude that's super impressive. Must've been a lot of hard work and dedication. Floy would be proud. Super happy for you that's a huge accomplishment my guy! I know you didn't do it for this but you would destroy like %90+ of humans on Earth even if you didn't box, as I know you do too. Congrats bro, fr.
you're too kind, but i'm no badass.

Other than Oscar it's hard to think of a great fighter getting put down for good with a body shot. Indongo and them are solid but far from the very elite. Donaire got dropped by Inoue but got back up, for instance.
yeah, i can't think of anyone else either. but i guess one example is enough when we're talking about the very elite?

oh and donaire got lucky with that count. the ref pushed naoya away and didn't even start counting for a few seconds.. and nonito barely made it back up.

Yeah haha that shit was weird, but you really don’t think about it.

Chino is another guy who could take it to the head but hated body shots. Khan dropped him hard to the liver and by the end of their first fight Floyd had him doubled over from getting stabbed to the body w/ jabs over and over. One of the more impressive examples of why a good stick to the body is so useful, even at the highest level of boxing. More than just a level changer if you use it right.

didn't see the so called body blows, I just assumed that it might have been one of those attempted tank jobs where a guy tries to get a dq, but I don't know. What bearing will that have on the big fight? not much, is fury a body puncher? and he'll have to bend down so low to do it it might not be worth the risk.
What bearing will it have on Fury vs Usyk? Probably none. Fury isn't a body puncher. The only time I recall him ever hurting a guy there was when he dropped Wilder in the second fight with a body shot but that was more due to the fact that Wilder's feet were crossed.

What bearing will it have on Fury vs Usyk? Probably none. Fury isn't a body puncher. The only time I recall him ever hurting a guy there was when he dropped Wilder in the second fight with a body shot but that was more due to the fact that Wilder's feet were crossed.
Don't know what it is with these overseas fighters from asia and europe but they seem to use getting hit in the body as an excuse to go down a lot more than us. I remember seeing a couple japanese fighters hitting the mat against Duran and Arguello from body punches. Ya it hurts but as Tyson said, "it's the hurt business".

Fury isn't a guy out to hurt in most fights, he came in with that intent with Wilder in the second fight and with all that mass it worked wonders but that was a one off. I don't think he has any chance against Usyk after seeing his last few and particularly the last one but if he had any chance it would be with the sort of approach that he took when he cleaned Wilder's clock the second time.

Back