Usyk is a generational GOAT

Undisputed Heavyweight Champion

Amazing now have him run it back w/Gassiev

What, why? Gassiev hasn't really done much since moving up. I wouldn't hate to see him face Jai at Cruiserweight and retire if he has 1 more left in him after the Fury rematch. Otherwise what's next? Wilder vs Zhang winner? Eh. Hrgovic? Eh. I am feel.

I said before this fight that if Usyk wins, he would have to get the #1P4P title and I stand by that. Based on merit and what he's done for the sport lately, I think you have to give Usyk the best P4P. And he is that in the truest sense of the word, seeing as he's been significantly outsized in all of his fights lately.
This last sentence is essential. He's a blown up CW just like Holyfield but he's putting a beating on these bigger men, not just outworking them, despite not being considered a power puncher.

What, why? Gassiev hasn't really done much since moving up. I wouldn't hate to see him face Jai at Cruiserweight and retire if he has 1 more left in him after the Fury rematch. Otherwise what's next? Wilder vs Zhang winner? Eh. Hrgovic? Eh. I am feel.
I wanted to see a cruiserweight vs cruiserweight except with both fighters being in a higher division (and with Gassiev having the potential to comfortably make average HW weight limits (~240?)) but since he has been regressing as a fighter...it's unfortunate that Gassiev vs Usyk 2 isn't a possibility.

So what's next for Usyk?

Because we all know what Usyk vs Zhang is going to go terribly for the latter.

Reactions: HHJ
nothing to be embarrassed about, gassiev looked like a machine up to that point. even the fight was pretty even for the first 6 rounds or so... then usyk did what he always does, figured his man out and beat the living piss out of him. that was a masterclass in boxing.

Will go back and watch this fight thanks to your post. I’m a boxing casual and Usyk blew my mind last night with that performance. I can’t believe the way he rallies back and finds a way to win. Tyson was battering him in the first half with his jab and body shots.

I wanted to see a cruiserweight vs cruiserweight except with both fighters being in a higher division (and with Gassiev having the potential to comfortably make average HW weight limits (~240?)) but since he has been regressing as a fighter...it's unfortunate that Gassiev vs Usyk 2 isn't a possibility.

So what's next for Usyk?

Because we all know what Usyk vs Zhang is going to go terribly for the latter.

There's not tons for Usyk post the Fury rematch, he may very likely retire with the win too. Perhaps if Hrgovic gets through Dubois and then Joshua, you could have him clash with Usyk in 2025. Will require a lot to go right, otherwise likely he has a 3rd fight with Joshua or takes a Wilder fight that makes little sense off of a bit of name recognition. As odd as the Jai fights sounds I'd like to see it.

There's not tons for Usyk post the Fury rematch, he may very likely retire with the win too. Perhaps if Hrgovic gets through Dubois and then Joshua, you could have him clash with Usyk in 2025. Will require a lot to go right, otherwise likely he has a 3rd fight with Joshua or takes a Wilder fight that makes little sense off of a bit of name recognition. As odd as the Jai fights sounds I'd like to see it.
I would like him to retire. The only reason to stick around is to get proper pay for the Fury rematch.

There isnt anything left to do, hes done it all and he isnt getting any younger.

Also if he does rematch Fury dont do it in tepid ass abu dhabi crowds.

Ha some boxing experts on here were saying many years back that they couldn't see anything special about Usyk and he wouldn't amount to anything at HW. But we told you! And at last that day has come. Best HW on the planet, of this era.

The best heavyweight today is Jalalov. That fight would not end well for Usyk.

The fuck he would lmao

does he even crack top 10 HW all time? Gotta get there first. Cruiserweight is a notoriously shallow divsion. He's probably top 5 there all time. He's not even a top 10 heavyweight all time, let alone top 10 boxer all time. This is some major glazing ITT
"probably a top 5 cruiserweight"

he's either 1 or 2 honestly. him and evander stood far and away as the best in the two most stacked cruiserweight divisions. usyk's was deeper imo, but usyk never beat anyone as good as qawi. so its a toss up
Ward is an ATG, no doubt about it and a legend of sport. That being said, consider the following:

Usyk's unique achievements include being the first and only boxer to unify all four major world titles at cruiserweight, as well as holding the record for the fewest fights required to win a cruiserweight world title, (breaking Evander Holyfield's record). Additionally, he is only the second boxer after Evander Holyfield to have held unified world titles in both the cruiserweight and heavyweight divisions.

I don't know where i'd rank him but what he did is not just rare, it's extremely rare. he could retire tomorrow and he'd easily be ranked somewhere in a TOP 10 best in boxing history.
usyk's résumé is nowhere near top 10 ATG status. i'd guess he's probably hitting the top 50 at this point.

he's either 1 or 2 honestly. him and evander stood far and away as the best in the two most stacked cruiserweight divisions. usyk's was deeper imo, but usyk never beat anyone as good as qawi. so its a toss up
Going into that I didnt really do any deep analysis. I agree he and Evander stand out, thats why I said probably top 5.

The best heavyweight today is Jalalov. That fight would not end well for Usyk.
Who has Jalalov beaten that makes you believe he could beat Usyk? Jalalov is a beast but beating nobodies doesn't prove you can do it at the top level.

Who has Jalalov beaten that makes you believe he could beat Usyk? Jalalov is a beast but beating nobodies doesn't prove you can do it at the top level.

Resume is one criteria but there are others. Amongst other things, Jalalov is an extremely accomplished amateur, so he likely wouldn't be out-skilled. He is the bigger man, younger, and knows how to use his size. He is also mean. It remains to be seen how far he will go, but has the same promise Usyk showed before the Super 6. Of course, nothing is certain in boxing, and Usyk is proven while Jalalov is not. But if these two were forced to fight today and I had to put $ down, I'm putting it on Jalalov.

Is that Jalalov's fault? I doubt that it is him or his management that is the cause, more than likely none of the top fighters will fight him. It's not like he is some guy who just fought bums. In the Amateurs' he fights all the very best every time. I doubt most top ten fighters want to give up their shot at a big payday for a guaranteed loss. Seems there have been numerous very skilled fighters who never got top ten opponents Ivan Dychko comes to mind. Having fought the very best on a daily basis in the Amateurs it seems odd they would not want to try themselves against the top ten pros?

usyk's résumé is nowhere near top 10 ATG status. i'd guess he's probably hitting the top 50 at this point.

Usyk won all cruiserweight and HW belt as well as olympic gold. How the hell is he not easily top 5 ATG status?

Reactions: HHJ
This last sentence is essential. He's a blown up CW just like Holyfield but he's putting a beating on these bigger men, not just outworking them, despite not being considered a power puncher.

How ironic that ‘pillow fisted’ usyk had fury in far more trouble than the reputed ‘hardest puncher in the world’

Who else can usyk beat? He’s cleared out CW and HW. He’s never making LHW unless beterbiev is willing to move up, so using his resume as to where he sits as an ATG is fairly useless. How many with better resumes have done this without losing a fight? How many have won the vast majority of their title fights in their opponents manor? How many fighters have given up that much size/weight to their opponents? All relevant points, it’s not just about who they’ve beat if they’ve actually never ducked a fighter

Add to that he came to the sport late because he’s an ATG amateur as well

Resume is one criteria but there are others. Amongst other things, Jalalov is an extremely accomplished amateur, so he likely wouldn't be out-skilled. He is the bigger man, younger, and knows how to use his size. He is also mean. It remains to be seen how far he will go, but has the same promise Usyk showed before the Super 6. Of course, nothing is certain in boxing, and Usyk is proven while Jalalov is not. But if these two were forced to fight today and I had to put $ down, I'm putting it on Jalalov.

They’re never gonna to fight though are they. Usyk is undisputed champ who will be fighting contenders. At this point jalalov may as well still be an amateur, who’s beating cans as a pro in his spare time.

If he ever takes the pro game seriously usyk will be long gone by that point. And without that experience I wouldnt currently pick him against many of the top guys in the division

Usyk won all cruiserweight and HW belt as well as olympic gold. How the hell is he not easily top 5 ATG status?
because he hasn't beaten many all time greats. that's precisely what makes you an all time great.
They’re never gonna to fight though are they. Usyk is undisputed champ who will be fighting contenders. At this point jalalov may as well still be an amateur, who’s beating cans as a pro in his spare time.

If he ever takes the pro game seriously usyk will be long gone by that point. And without that experience I wouldnt currently pick him against many of the top guys in the division
there are a dozen plus guys who absolutely dominated for over a decade that we don't put in a top 20 ATG discussion just because they were unfortunately in that division/those divisions at a bad time, when the competition wasn't amazing. it's not usyk's fault that the HW division sucks but because it sucks, there's no way he's ever catching the top 10 HW's of all time.

Back