Volk ruined his career with bad decisions

Ruined is a little exacerbated. The really bad decision he made was taking a fight on a short notice. I don't think managers/trainers realize that once you get brutally KO'd it is a very very slim chance you come back and become champ again. Not only does it affect you mentally especially by fighting more timid, but your chances of getting KO'd by even less of a power punch becomes more prevalent.

Nah, I’ve said all along Topuria was going to be the biggest threat to Volk. One way or another that beatdown was coming.
Right there with you. I think my first comment after the Islam KO was me being annoyed that now when Topuria does it he won't get the credit he deserves

Attachments

• 1706828831574597 3117a0f0-c77c-40f8-a880-15a38156ddc2_text.gif
    1706828831574597 3117a0f0-c77c-40f8-a880-15a38156ddc2_text.gif
    378.7 KB · Views: 0
There were plenty of people that were predicting this would happen before the second Islam fight ever happened.. myself included.

Ilia has a well rounded game. He's not Yair Rodriguez who can't stop a takedown to save his life.. or an old Korean Zombie.

Even Brian Ortega took Volk to the limit in that fight. Same with Max in the second fight.

Volk had a great run but this guy coming in undefeated on a complete tear was a new type of challenge. I think Volk is also obviously getting older and it was bound to happen.. regardless of that Islam fight.

Ruined? He only has 2 loses in the UFC, several defenses and is a millionaire, you guys sure are fucking dramatic.
He waa undefeated. Took his first loss to heart even though it was a higher weightlclass and made a stupid decision at end of his career to take a short notice fight again and chin got cracked. Being a millionaire is small comfort when being the undefeated champ was your personality.

It takes huge balls to go up a division when your already the champ in the lower division as its not a small jump. It doesnt pay off for many

The Islam last minute fight clearly costed Volk some of his KO durability, very likely his inner confidence, definitely the aura of invincibility which the opponents feared.

It turned his trajectory from being the unquestionable GOAT at his weight class, perhaps even eventually retiring undefeated, to a declining champion who now could face a sequence of losses, damaging both health and legacy.

How one bad decision can change everything…
No, its always been Aldo, being old at lighter weight classes does that to you, old man Volk became a real thing when he was facing a super dangerous boxer, how affected was he by the KO? It wasnt that bad back then imo, its a combination of opponent and age imho, it was bound to happen eventually, the combination he was put out with was brutal and perfect imo, probably takes out whatever version of Volk.

Idk. He was getting tagged by yair prior to these last 2 fights.

He got tagged by Yair, Max, Islam in the first fight … no issues.

He gets KOd with a baseball-bat-like shin to the dome … and now lights go out the first time Topuria connected fairly clean.

Obviously Topuria has real power and got him right on the chin, but I think a pattern is quite obvious.

I don't think the Islam KO had anything to do with his durability. If you get hit that cleanly by someone that powerful, you're in for a bad time.

He had enough time to recover lol. Nothing was going to stop those shots from putting him out cold.

He got tagged by Yair, Max, Islam in the first fight … no issues.

He gets KOd with a baseball-bat-like shin to the dome … and now lights go out the first time Topuria connected fairly clean.

Obviously Topuria has real power and got him right on the chin, but I think a pattern is quite obvious.

None of those guys punch anywhere near as hard or as well as Topuria. That's why Volk got KOd. It had nothing to do with Islam KOing him. That shot, that clean would have put him or anyone in the division out cold.

Did emmet take any shots like that when he fought illa?

Ruined is over dramatic but he did recently made two very bad decisions (not monetarily speaking) in rematching Islam on short notice and taking on Topuria so soon after a KO

Yeah I thought he was too much for Ilia, so I don't want to be a hypocrite, but in hindsight, you're totally right. Shame, he could've gone down as the greatest featherweight. Jose Aldo still reigns supreme. I wish Max didn't take the BMF fight, Ilia is ripe for the picking.

He's had a great career but to chase goat status etc he gambled to fight islam and it failed. He got beaten by a better fighter no shame in that. You have take risks in life and volk came up short with the islam risk.

Volk (and his management) ruined his career by making stupid career and life altering decisions. He took the fight against Islam on short notice and admitted to being an alcoholic and in depression prior to that fight. Got brutally knocked out by Islam and then didn’t take the adequate time to recover from a loss like that. Instead took another quick fight against a monster puncher and go KO’d again. It’s shameful the amount of damage Volk has taken in the last few months.
Was thinking the exact same thing. One area where boxing is better. Boxers managers don't want their fighters careers ending too soon

Back