Volk should retire

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
He has had 30 fights 16 of them in UFC at the highest level. Most people have either him or Aldo as the FW goat. He has probably made 8 figures by now and I doubt he really needs money. He admitted to excessive drinking just a few months ago, which goes to show he may have lost his fire. He is coming off two brutal KO losses that were only a few months apart. I don't think he should fight for an entire year and he will be 36.5. He won't accept a tune-up fight, nor will the UFC give him someone easy. If he does take a tune up fight in a year, he will be 37 before getting an Ilia rematch.

Really don't want to see him fighting in 5-6 months, I think his chin might be gone and he is at the age where things go downhill fast. He could easily get matched up with Emmett and get his lights shut off again. He won't be getting Champion money anymore so he is probably going to have to take a cut in pay. I know fighters don't want to go out on a loss, but look at Tony now. Despite the damage Volk has taken, I thing he is still very cognizant, and he might not be after a few more bad losses.

We'd all love to see a ride off into the sunset retirement with him avenging his loss to Ilia, but I dont see it happening.

Last edited:
He's convinced that he's fighting for a belt in his next fight, if that is the case, it's hard to turn down such an opportunity and money. I do think he'll retire with another loss, but he seems adamant for one last crack, at least I hope it's the last.

Last edited:
Well, as sad as it is, it really seems his best days are over. He can't keep up with the new breed and there's no need to become another Ferguson.

Don't mind if he gives it another go. But he should retire the next time he loses imo.

He's gonna be the new Chuck Liddel. Doesn't care if he gets knocked out.

I'd like to see him get a couple more fights with some fresh faces at FW before calling it quits if he loses to Ilia again.

Given what Aldo did I don't see why someone like Volk couldn't reinvent himself after losing the belt.

If his next fight (at the end of the year) is again a title fight, he should absolutely go for it. Then hopefully retire after the loss. Either way, he will remain one of the best to ever do it, no matter what his choice ends up being.

I'd like to see him get a couple more fights with some fresh faces at FW before calling it quits if he loses to Ilia again.

Given what Aldo did I don't see why someone like Volk couldn't reinvent himself after losing the belt.
FW has no fresh faces and I don't think he gains anything in legacy by fighting a Evloev, Allen, Emmet etc. Belts or legacy fights only imo.

Legacy is a thing, money is another. He may want to protect his legacy, but he probably needs the money from extra fights.

FW has no fresh faces and I don't think he gains anything in legacy by fighting a Evloev, Allen, Emmet etc. Belts or legacy fights only imo.
What legacy fights are there tho? I guess maybe if he moves up again, but given how many times Makachev was able to hurt him I'd rather not see him there. Dude's too short for LW imo.

he could still be a great gatekeeper and make good money doing it for the next 3-4 years.

It depends how much he gets paid honestly. If he's getting 250k plus overall (he'd also be able to make more fighting in AUs) it's probably worth it for him to fight a couple more times tbh.

Back