International Was American involvement in world war 2 key to victory?

tomjones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know some east europeans and they believe that American involvement in world war 2 wasnt key to defeating the nazis. They strongly believe that the Nazis failure to defeat the soviets on the eastern front was key to the nazis losing the war. My personal believe is that they're both right in their own way, although I know the modern post cold war view of the war is more appreciative of the soviet people's sacrifice. I know it's a difficult question with alot of factors involved.

I would be interested to know your take on it?

I know some east europeans and they believe that American involvement in world war 2 wasnt key to defeating the nazis. They strongly believe that the Nazis failure to defeat the soviets on the eastern front was key to the nazis losing the war. My personal believe is that they're both right in their own way, although I know the modern post cold war view of the war is more appreciative of the soviet people's sacrifice. I know it's a difficult question with alot of factors involved.

America showed up to win The Oscar and claim victory after how many years? This isn't to say that we didn't need help and it was definitely a well earned Oscar.

America showed up to win The Oscar and claim victory after how many years? This isn't to say that we didn't need help and it was definitely a well earned Oscar.
I think in a certain way Canada's contribution, particularly in human cost during the Battle of the Atlantic, could be considered the equal of the US. Everyone pitched in and contributed.

What did the leader of the Soviet party say about this issue?

"The United States is a country of machines. Without the machines we received through Lend-Lease, we would have lost the war." -Stalin.

Over 180 billion dollars in today's value. Over ten thousand planes, over six thousands tanks, over 300,000 trucks and other vehicles, plus food and agricultural assistance during some of the harshest winters of fighting.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
What did the leader of the Soviet party say about this issue?

"The United States is a country of machines. Without the machines we received through Lend-Lease, we would have lost the war." -Stalin.

Over 180 billion dollars in today's value. Over ten thousand plans, over six thousands tanks, over 300,000 trucks and other vehicles, plus food and agricultural assistance during some of the harshest winters of fighting.

You're welcome.

Never heard that stat of over 300,000 trucks and other vehicles.

US would had been able to end the war alone, we would probably add a few German cities to the history of real life application of nukes.

I think the most important part was after the war, as the US was naturally in better shape than Europe so their presence helped make sure the Soviet Union didn't aspire to go further. Had they followed Churchill's wishes eastern Europe could have been spared that fate as well, but not too surprising that it didn't go that way.

Then again the Soviet Union wouldn't have been in as good shape at a victory if they didn't get the Lend-Lease Act so potentially a wash on that particular aspect.

I'm not a historian but it's hard for me to imagine an allied victory without the Americans support.

It's an imaginary scenario tho. What is this alternate timeline without American involvement? Do the Japanese enter the war?

Do we imagine ww2 minus Japan and USA, then? They sort of cancel each other out I suppose. But if not for Japan, would Germany have invaded ussr when they did, or would they have kept pushing west, first? If the US wasn't going to join, would Germany have been able to force Britain to surrender and then become even stronger before invading the ussr?

It's really an impossible question to answer, but anyone who says that considering the way things did turn out that the US was not a key to the allies victory, is an idiot.

Would Britain have been able to survive without the USA? Or would the Nazi submarine fleet have starved them out of the war?

It was close between the USSR and Germany. Could the USSR have defeated the Germans without the UK? I doubt it.

The battle of Moscow was a narrow affair. If the Germans had their entire Air Force and army, rather than fighting in Africa and in the Battle of Britain, would that have made the difference?

Back