Television Was David Harbour speech in the SAG awards - Pretentious or Amazing?

Was David Harbour speech in the SAG awards - Pretentious or Amazing?

• Total voters
winona-ryder-made-these-22-faces-during-a-speech--2-2051-1485814290-0_dblbig.jpg

Did she ever explain what was her problem?
Shes preparing for playing Sybil in the remake

Great acting can change the world. Trying to claim acting can bring people out of the theatre. LOL. Insanity.

Speech was utterly embarrassing.

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

~ William Shakespeare

Unironically critiquing society's narcism while at an award show that's all about you and your friends patting each other on the back about how great you are in front of a TV audience then lecturing about how important your work is... it skews a bit pretentious.

And while I've enjoyed Stranger Things, I think he's good in it, I'd agree that it has depth and something to say, it's not exactly The 400 Blows or The Bicycle Thief. It does boil down to him waving a sword at a man holding a tennis ball on a stick pretending to be a monster.

HOWEVER; the kind of person who tunes in for Hollywood's pretentious, masterbatory, self-congratulation show and then clutches thier pearls when it's pretentious, masterbatory, and self congratulating, is a much bigger asshole than the people accepting the award.
I tend to think a big issue is Hollywood(and indeed pop culture as a whole) tends to still have this image of itself as being anti establishment dating from the mid 20th century. You did have an era with New Hollywood were that could be argued as often being the case but really I think that started to decline after the 70's ended, it was still somewhat present in the 80's but often needed to be somewhat hidden behind sci fi as with say Terminator, Robocop or The Running Man.

Come the mid 90's though I think Hollywood started to return very strongly to a pro establishment position, it would hold nominally liberial values but its politics would be those of the establishment democrats most of the time and often actually to the right of them. Cinema critical of the western establishment I think largely ended up being made outside of Hollywood which was limited to the odd bard, something like say the MCU having General Ross as a villian(ityself a holdover from the mid 2oth century) and a few older name directors who still have some power like Cameron.

Such cringe. You're an actor, shut the fuck up.

Such cringe. You're an actor, shut the fuck up.
Depends what your saying of course, if an actor has the balls to say be critical of whats going on in Gaza right now then mucho resulto but thats probably career suicide in Hollywood, look at how it reacted to Glazers acceptance speech for Zone of Interest.

Last edited:
For some reason this speech came up in my YT algorithms today. I haven't seen it in a while and It reminded me in what a great speech it was.

I know there are people who would think otherwise.

How about you folks?

What a massive bunch of wankers. Nice to see, the Film Actors Guild are definitely still living up to their name...

Advocating "we will punch some people in the face" for poltical differences, is equal parts moronic to a neanderthal level, dangerous as an idea or precedent to just casually throw out there, & utterly hollow from up on a stage in a fine tailored suit surrounded by armed security. This guy isn't going around in his daily life punching people with different political opinions in the face, he's just advocating that YOU the unwashed masses do it, & cheering when he sees it happen on the news, from the luxury box. It flies in the face of every true activist throughout history who has had the balls to speak truth to power, while still advocating for peace. That would require a level of compassion, wisdom, & courage, none of which are on display in this speech. His pampered ranting here just sounds like the hollow words of an angry coward.

For some reason this speech came up in my YT algorithms today. I haven't seen it in a while and It reminded me in what a great speech it was.

I know there are people who would think otherwise.

How about you folks?

He should have stood in the back and let the young actors have their moment. Pathetic attention seeking behaviour from an adult in that moment.

Every time I see him in anything, I can't help but think what a blowhard he is from this embrassing speech. Actors being insecure attention seekers is nothing new.

Back