Was Zhang/Rose an early stoppage?

Only people who truly believe in "better dead than red" think that it was an early stoppage because Rose was going to kill her. She was not intelligently defending herself and she was done, period.

Fair stoppage since she got dropped hard and did not defend so well. Tough choice , she tried to get up but was turtled . Those hammers were not so hard at 115 Plus Rose. A few more seconds in a championship round would have been my preference but then drift into late stoppage danger. It is a tough call , Ref acted responsibly for safety. Doubt Zhang would have recovered and won, likely more damage. Think pulling guard would have bought more time she could wave her arms and legs blocking not so hard shots on ground shows defense but Zhang chose to try and get up and caught in bad position with back turned, sort of turtled. Hard to defend in that position.

Was early, should have given her a chance to fight out of it and the fans some more blood

I'm in favor of letting it go a bit longer in a Championship match just to be sure. I thought the Andrade stoppage was early. Like a sparring match stoppage.

No, but it was a classic case of simply pushing a badly hurt opponent over leading a ref to jump the gun and stop the fight.

Seriously. Start watching for this. Barring fighters who actually get put out, fighters who push/bullrush their opponents down get stoppages far more often than ones actually trying to hit their opponent's head again. The refs always jump the gun because of the positioning making them look KO'd/being open to worse punishment.

You can't unsee it once you notice it.
Weili was completely knocked out dude. Knockout, not TKO.

She was already eating hammer fists... yea early stoppage for someone who still wanna see her get slept before stopping the fight

Nah good stoppage after the second follow up shot Zhangs head started to drop to the canvas like steel in water

She was in the little spoon position getting clobbered by Rose. Then when she stood up she almost falls over until shes caught by the ref, and stumbles around angry. Does anyone really believe she was going to get up and keep fighting?

Shit even when Rose runs away celebrating it takes Weili a second to even think about standing up and then when she does you can tell she's confused.

How are you going to watch this and think "Yeah, she should have been given a chance to keep fighting"

Topics like this make me seriously wonder if we are all watching the same events.

She was out. She wasn’t defending herself with hammer fist landing cleanly on the side of her head and was stumbling around after the fight.

How is this even up for debate?

Weili was completely knocked out dude. Knockout, not TKO.

I didn't say she wasn't by the end, but she was still conscious from the headkick and sat up from the knockdown, and then Rose bullrushes her over. The ref jumps in at this moment, not the knockdown, prior to the ground and pound actually KOing her.

It's a legit phenomenon once you notice it. Refs definitely are more quick to jump in when hurt fighters get pushed over into worse positions than if they just have someone run up, stop, and try raining down punches from their feet, clinch, or guard. You don't unsee once you notice that pushes are one of the most effective techniques at getting a stoppage.

And IMO the pushes actually are themselves probably good for physically getting the stoppage as here's a flash KO'd fighter suddenly getting tackled, which is going to rattle their brains. You don't need to risk throwing strikes that might not get a good wind up or land accurate, when if you tackle them the whiplash is going to slam their brain just as well.

No, she wasn't. She was about as conscious as Luke Rockhold after being blasted by Jan. Still technically awake, but completely out of whack and in no position to continue the fight.

Rose's third punch on the ground clearly made Zhang go completelylimp, and she was just lying there taking punches, facedown on the mat.
she was still conscious when Keith moved to stop it, early

If they just implement the min 10 hammerfists or full stiffness requirement for stoppages this would not be a problem

No, she wasn't. She was about as conscious as Luke Rockhold after being blasted by Jan. Still technically awake, but completely out of whack and in no position to continue the fight.

Rose's third punch on the ground clearly made Zhang go completelylimp, and she was just lying there taking punches, facedown on the mat.

Eh was early

no it wasn't an early stoppage but i'm not doubting that wei lei could have have bundled her up in guard to recover and continue.

Back