Watching Boxing After UFC...

Serial Killer

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
...Was a BIG mistake.

I boxed when I was young and grew up watching boxing. I have always been a massive fan. I have been watching MMA for quite some time now and I now know I will never ever feel the way I used to for boxing again.

I watched UFC Belfast followed by about 3/4 of UFC Brazil and then switched over to the Kovalev Vs Ward fight. I enjoyed watching it however I came away from it thinking "was that it?" all the buildup for that?

I will continue to follow boxing as much as I can but I don't think it will ever be the same for me again...I feel like I have lost a loved one.

Anybody else feel this way regarding boxing?

That was a good fight but sometimes two good fighters don't always translate to a great fight. with all the fainting and mental war going on things can get slow. same can happen in mma and a lot of times I find that the guys with less of a name, less to lose, more to prove put on the better shows. it's still a treat to watch the best apply the sweet science, defend and not get hit. I love watching that actually but I also do love watching a good dog fight as well. that's why you gotta learn to appreciate styles , not everyone can pinpoint and defend as well as others, not everyone can go get it in a war. I used to hate watching Damien Maia fight but I've learned to appreciate the skill he's applying when he grapples a guy to death... as I said we've got to appreciate the different styles and subtleties . I respect the hell out of all fighters just on the principle that they lay it on the line in some grueling sports.

Boxing isn't real fighting bro

Yep, punching people trying to knock them out is pussy shit, totally useless skill in a real fighting scenario. Anyone with even highschool level wrestling would kill these bums in a street fight

Yeah used to love it and you just can't watch it right after an MMA fight to slow and boring even when the boxing is a great fight.

Boxing is boring once you see crazy ground scrambles and clinch work with knees

...Was a BIG mistake.

I boxed when I was young and grew up watching boxing. I have always been a massive fan. I have been watching MMA for quite some time now and I now know I will never ever feel the way I used to for boxing again.

I watched UFC Belfast followed by about 3/4 of UFC Brazil and then switched over to the Kovalev Vs Ward fight. I enjoyed watching it however I came away from it thinking "was that it?" all the buildup for that?

I will continue to follow boxing as much as I can but I don't think it will ever be the same for me again...I feel like I have lost a loved one.

Anybody else feel this way regarding boxing?
Went thru that 15+ years ago I grew up watching Thursday night fights on showtime and MMA slowly killed it for me. Tried to keep watching but it just wasn't the same. Even the big fights that were on during the early 2000s just didn't cut it. I think they relied on the main event too much MMA has full cards of good fights.

The problem is that Ward is a great boxer, but he's a terribly boring fighter. It's hard to blame him for his style because he simply doesn't have big time power so he has to box for points. The problem for boxing is that the two most skilled boxers of the last decade are both point fighters and point fighters just don't excite the fans. At least Floyd was smart enough to realize this and sold himself and his fights with his mouth and antics.

GGG is the most exciting boxer in the game but none of the other names will fight the guy. They're terrified of him.

Kovalev is a scary dude and I respect Ward for stepping up to fight him, but the fight itself went about the way I expected. Ward survived some tough patches but was ultimately able to frustrate Kovalev enough to squeak out the W, deserved or not.

Mickie-James-gifs-0014.gif

Should've been watching Mickie James on WWE Network

I've watched boxing for more than 30 years.

I'm about done after tonight.

I'm pretty sure more people do boxercise classes then watch the sport at this point. It's filled with nostalgic dweebs that just can't seem to let go.

They also have this weird disdain and saltiness for the people that butchered it and left its corpse on shitty premium cable channels that no one subsribes to anymore.

This is the reason boxing has died, nobody cares who's the best boxer in the world, people care about who the baddest man on the planet is.

If that were true they would send 2 men into the jungle and see which one comes back out. Last I checked MMA like all combat sports has a fixed set of rules and time limits.

If this were true there would be no weightclasses either since there are currently 8 baddest men on the planet plus 2 women. Do you see how stupid this sounds?

Back