Watching Cain vs werdum right now

Werdum is simply better than Cain at everything except fight IQ.

Every fight werdum ever lost was because of a mental lapse or bad strategy.

I'd say moreso because Werdum also has plenty of weaknesses, his boxing defence and wrestling during his UFC run for example or a lack of power standing in his Pride run.

In his favour is that he lasted a hell of along time at an elite level and that's going to mean the chances for big wins are more likely to be their for you.

I'd say moreso because Werdum also has plenty of weaknesses, his boxing defence and wrestling during his UFC run for example or a lack of power standing in his Pride run.
In his favour is that he lasted a hell of along time at an elite level and that's going to mean the chances for big wins are more likely to be their for you.

Those weaknesses were shored up by the time he fought Cain. His boxing defense was good enough to outstrike Cain and Overeem (arguably)--then he threw defense aside altogether when he fought Stipe for some stupid reason--not lack of ability just lack of fight IQ.

You can't call his wrestling a "weakness" when nobody dares use wrestling against him.

Adding knees to his arsenal addressed the power issue.

Werdum's major weakness has been mental lapses and poor fight IQ. But in every other area he's better than Cain.

The single biggest reason Cain lost was because werdum is a terrible match up for him and executed a great game plan

Cain gassing had more to do with him getting his ass beat than it did the altitude

Cain’s career is pretty wildly overblown tbh and those excuses in a fight where he simply got beat up from the opening round just make me shake my head

Werdum is simply better than Cain at everything except fight IQ.

Every fight werdum ever lost was because of a mental lapse or bad strategy.

Cain doesn't have better fight IQ. He fights everyone pretty much the exact same way. I would say Cain's advantage was his boxing and hand speed.

Those weaknesses were shored up by the time he fought Cain. His boxing defense was good enough to outstrike Cain and Overeem (arguably)--then he threw defense aside altogether when he fought Stipe for some stupid reason--not lack of ability just lack of fight IQ.

You can't call his wrestling a "weakness" when nobody dares use wrestling against him.

Adding knees to his arsenal addressed the power issue.

Werdum's major weakness has been mental lapses and poor fight IQ. But in every other area he's better than Cain.

The wrestling does mean though that Werdum struggles to get opponents down if he wants to, in Pride he has decent wrestling but with age he doesn't have the agility anymore.

Even against Cain Werdum did take shots standing, he survived but I don't think its impossible Cain KO's him in that situation even if I'd favour Werdum to win the majority.

What about when he threw the boomerang at Cody?

GleamingDifficultIndianrockpython-small.gif

nope, it was just the perfect style to beat cain. he had answers for everything cain was going to try to do. your cardio tends to look better when a fight is going your way. cain finally looked gassed for once because he couldn't impose his will like he always did before.

I dont know if he was gassed by the end of the first or does he always look that sloppy? This is like the only time we ever got to see cain in a striking matchup for more than a couple minutes, in all his other fights he's always wrestling.

Back