Weakest paths to a title or reign?

I wouldn't really count anyone pre 2010. All divisions were so thin that 2 or 3 good wins was more that enough.

Any champ moving up doesn't count either, that is a completely different situation.

As far as starting your modern UFC career to getting a shot, probably Pereira

I don’t think the commission would even recognize Iaquinta as interim champ because you have to be exactly on weight for that too. It’s so silly that NY wouldn’t approve Felder, who weighed in at 155 exactly, because he wasn’t ranked. The NY commission is straight up terrible. So are their refs.
I was thinking more of awarding him Interim Champion Status after the fact? They awarded Rhonda the BW title coming in from Strike Force, Aldo the FW title from WEC. Just thinking they can declare anyone champion but if its being contested in the cage it has to adhere to the rules of an AC.

I was thinking more of awarding him Interim Champion Status after the fact? They awarded Rhonda the BW title coming in from Strike Force, Aldo the FW title from WEC. Just thinking they can declare anyone champion but if its being contested in the cage it has to adhere to the rules of an AC.
Ah I see, yeah that’s a good point. I suppose they could do that if they wanted.

Usman only had an easy reign becuase welterweight was kind of shit when he became champion, atleast in terms of who was right there for a title shot (no one really), so they just gave it to whoever was making noise despite not deserving it. He didn’t really duck anyone

McGregor at lightweight obviously, didn’t earn the shot

Chito, like you said. O malley also (one ranked robbery win)

Islam, jamahal hill, poatan, stipe when he fights jones, colby and masvidal as previously mentioned, although the colby one is more esoteric to me cause I don’t think he beat rda

Woodley beat a guy who wasn’t champion for the belt (Robbie), draw against wonderboy so fair enough they run it back, wonderboy shits the bed and loses a close fight even though he probably could have won if he tried a bit more , maia shooting takedowns with no setup for 25 minutes, till who arguably didn’t win his title eliminator, making his best win a rapidly declining cerrone. He got off pretty easy

All these early 2000s guys who came in with no ufc wins and got a title shot
Tyron was Robbie's third title defense. What are you talking about?

I wouldn't really count anyone pre 2010. All divisions were so thin that 2 or 3 good wins was more that enough.

Any champ moving up doesn't count either, that is a completely different situation.

As far as starting your modern UFC career to getting a shot, probably Pereira
Honestly, I preferred that method. Two or three solid wins instead of one win over a top five guy would keep the divisions flowing more.

The pajama cuddlers were obsessed with Busta back in the day. His UFC/Pride record vs non-Japanese cans was 2-6 - (Nakamura was the only Japanese guy he fought I consider not a can and Busta lost to him). Lindland was the only guy worth a shit that he ever beat.

And yet the butt floppers were convinced he was Jesus.

I never could quite get it either

I think people were so obsessed with “pound for pound” that they creamed their pants and left them on permanently anytime a fighter punched above his weight (eg, BUSTA WENT TO A DRAW WITH TOMCAT ERIKSON!!!!111111)

Usman only had an easy reign becuase welterweight was kind of shit when he became champion, atleast in terms of who was right there for a title shot (no one really), so they just gave it to whoever was making noise despite not deserving it. He didn’t really duck anyone

McGregor at lightweight obviously, didn’t earn the shot

Chito, like you said. O malley also (one ranked robbery win)

Islam, jamahal hill, poatan, stipe when he fights jones, colby and masvidal as previously mentioned, although the colby one is more esoteric to me cause I don’t think he beat rda

Woodley beat a guy who wasn’t champion for the belt (Robbie), draw against wonderboy so fair enough they run it back, wonderboy shits the bed and loses a close fight even though he probably could have won if he tried a bit more , maia shooting takedowns with no setup for 25 minutes, till who arguably didn’t win his title eliminator, making his best win a rapidly declining cerrone. He got off pretty easy

All these early 2000s guys who came in with no ufc wins and got a title shot
What do you mean Woodley didn't beat the champion? Robbie was the champion at the time.

I mean if you're really going to ignore the hyperbole and promoter being a promoter thing, none of them ever faced an actual death row.

Fine tooth combing Dana using promoter talk to say "if they're UFC champ, they're the best at what they do and have proven it" seems kinda silly to me. He's right in most cases, and even if he's not his job is to talk up his assets lol.

It feels like right now at LW, Gaethje, Poirier and Chandler are always 1 win away from a title match.

Tony got passed over by himself when he pulled out twice

having only one fight at HW against Gane to become Champ.

One fight against a guy who already lost to the defending world champion that left the org. Gane was on a 1 fight win streak, and his last win was..... Tai Tuivasa.

Absolute joke of a 'heavyweight champion'

techinically speaking and people are not going to like this but anderson silva. he got a title shot after one fight, not saying he didn't deserve it but literally nobody gets sling shotted that quickly to the belt.
Anderson had fought in other orgs though and built somewhat of a name. Michael Chandler came into the UFC from Bellator and got a title shot after 1 fight against Hooker.

Back