What are Masvidal's best wins?

You mean in his last 4 fights? Maybe. Still, he rocked Colby.

Talking about his 20 years long career though, it's actually the opposite of what you say. He often looked as good if not better than his opponent in many of the controversial decisions that stand as Ls in his record, most notabbly vs

the guy who got Khabib his tittle (Al Iaquinta)
http://mmadecisions.com/decision/6071/Al-Iaquinta-vs-Jorge-Masvidal

the guy who got Koschek hi tittle shot (Paul Daley)

and UFC and WEC LW champion Ben Henderson

I'm not going to talk about ten years ago, but rather his last eight or nine fights when he became a highly appreciated welterweight contender. I always had the feeling that people overrated his boxing skills because of flashy KOs. If we disregard the five-second Askren fight, Nate Diaz is the only opponent where he looked better, even compared to Darren Till. I feel that the UFC successfully oversold his flashy knockouts, making people forget how he really fought against the rest of the legit welterweight contenders. Although his win against Diaz is legit, but let's not pretend that Diaz is the cream of the crop in the welterweight division. My problem with Masvidal is that whenever he had the opportunity to step up, he lost convincingly. It doesn't add up that people are shitting on Usman's boxing, yet Usman went toe to toe with Masvidal in their first fight and knocked him out in the second. My point is that his boxing skills in the MMA environment are average at best, and perhaps in BKFC or boxing, he would perform better.

His 2019 wins: Askren (Undefeated former defending champion of Bellator and ONE FC), Till (former title contender), Diaz (TUF winner), and his wins over Cowboy (now UFC HOFer), Ellenberger, Ross Pearson (TUF winner), Cezar Ferreira (TUF winner), Chiesa (TUF winner), Joe Lauzon and Yves Edwards.

Lots of casuals outing themselves in this thread, but it’s ok because everyone could use a refresher, lol. @cheesus and @Benoitthegr8 cover it pretty well, but I’d add some points.

Yves Edwards was his best win in the early stage of his career because of when he fought Edwards and how he won. As someone mentioned here, Yves was one of the top LW’s, especially as far as striking is concerned. So KO’ing Edwards was a huge feather in his cap at that time.

His win over KJ Noons was also impressive because KJ had just fought (and lost) his title defense to Nick Diaz. KJ was a feared striker with great boxing, and Jorge outstruck him handily.

In his early-ish UFC tenure his wins over Chiesa (by sub) stands out bc of how good chiesa’s ground game would prove to be. His KO over Cerrone was really eye opening as well at the time. Lots of people thought Cerrone had that one in the bag; Cowboy hadn’t lost his aura back then.

and then of course Till, Askren and Diaz, but most of you knew that already, lol.

TBH I think his losses say just as much about Jorge and his career as his wins. Fought a prime Paul Daley, a prime Gilbert Melendez, Ben Henderson not too far removed from his prime, Demian Maia and went to close decisions with those guys. Showed a strong well rounded game and could have won some of those fights if he pulled the trigger more.

Jorge was very underrated early on but he has been around the sport so long that fighters have just gotten better. Had a lot of questionable decisions go against him.

I did think walking out for Burns he looked nervous. I think he's just getting older and it's probably not fun for him anymore. A young Jorge would not have been intimidated by anyone.

I'm not going to talk about ten years ago, but rather his last eight or nine fights when he became a highly appreciated welterweight contender. I always had the feeling that people overrated his boxing skills because of flashy KOs. If we disregard the five-second Askren fight, Nate Diaz is the only opponent where he looked better, even compared to Darren Till. I feel that the UFC successfully oversold his flashy knockouts, making people forget how he really fought against the rest of the legit welterweight contenders. Although his win against Diaz is legit, but let's not pretend that Diaz is the cream of the crop in the welterweight division. My problem with Masvidal is that whenever he had the opportunity to step up, he lost convincingly. It doesn't add up that people are shitting on Usman's boxing, yet Usman went toe to toe with Masvidal in their first fight and knocked him out in the second. My point is that his boxing skills in the MMA environment are average at best, and perhaps in BKFC or boxing, he would perform better.

Here you have your reply, casual:

Lots of casuals outing themselves in this thread, but it’s ok because everyone could use a refresher, lol. @cheesus and @Benoitthegr8 cover it pretty well, but I’d add some points.

Yves Edwards was his best win in the early stage of his career because of when he fought Edwards and how he won. As someone mentioned here, Yves was one of the top LW’s, especially as far as striking is concerned. So KO’ing Edwards was a huge feather in his cap at that time.

His win over KJ Noons was also impressive because KJ had just fought (and lost) his title defense to Nick Diaz. KJ was a feared striker with great boxing, and Jorge outstruck him handily.

In his early-ish UFC tenure his wins over Chiesa (by sub) stands out bc of how good chiesa’s ground game would prove to be. His KO over Cerrone was really eye opening as well at the time. Lots of people thought Cerrone had that one in the bag; Cowboy hadn’t lost his aura back then.

and then of course Till, Askren and Diaz, but most of you knew that already, lol.

TBH I think his losses say just as much about Jorge and his career as his wins. Fought a prime Paul Daley, a prime Gilbert Melendez, Ben Henderson not too far removed from his prime, Demian Maia and went to close decisions with those guys. Showed a strong well rounded game and could have won some of those fights if he pulled the trigger more.

Maia, Cowboy and Till. Maybe even Ellenberger. Diaz hasn't looked as good since the MJ fight.

I'm just re-watching the Burns fight...

One thing I noticed is Masvidal looks scared/nervous asf, like, before the fight starts, his eyes. And that's evident in his cautious lack of striking, and it's how he looked against Colby (though I think he would have always looked that way against Colby, as he knew from all the years they trained together and mucked around that Colby could/would ragdoll him)... but still, I think that Usman KO loss changed him, I think he was scared of getting knocked out again.

It also looks more like how he used to fight, before he blew up in 2019.

So that got me thinking - what are his best wins, on his resume?
masvidal-askren.gif

and then the Till KO. Those two set him on the path financially. Cerrone and Nate are noteworthy. His loss to Iaquinta was B.S.. He won that fight. That always needs to be mentioned since he was robbed.

The only time I ever liked Masvidal was when he knocked Cowboys ass out and whispered in his ear "You know my name now".

The only time I ever liked Masvidal was when he knocked Cowboys ass out and whispered in his ear "You know my name now".
That was a badass moment. Masvidal’s hands and counters looked sharp that night.

Also I don't want to discredit Burns' win but Jorge wasn't in his prime in that fight too BTW, and he lost to Burns who's still in his prime, if he was in his prime, he'd do to him what he did to Cezar Ferreira who's also now a HW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back