What Are You Listening To? (Vol.26)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, so good :) Hope you are well too :)

I love everything about it - the setting, the sound, the vibe, the instruments shining in the sun, the lyrics, that the drummer gets so much space and air-time and the dream-like weaving he does, their gorgeous young faces overlaid with a solemnity they probably can't even comprehend at that stage. Their sincerity.
I love how out of place they look - (i mean just look at Gilmour, beautiful like a newly-hatched Norse god) like timetravelling musical geniuses that also just happens to be polite Englishmen so they make for the most peculiar houseguests ever and the respect they pay, consequently, is of the utmost and supremely abstract respect. An amazing performance, and a wonderful requiem for lost souls.

I also love that you love it in such a profound way :)

(OT, maybe, but I had some very intense mind-experiences with PF when i was 17-19 - the kind that are much much too big for a teenagebrain - and have been 'digesting' them, in layers. The haunting and intoxicating nature (you said it so well) of PF sound always brings me right back to that time, and it is always very healing.
So thanks so much for posting it, now, in this weird time.

Doesn't it just make you want to revise the list and go to Pompeii, though? :p

Articulate to the last....very well written as usual, and very vivid :)

You'll have to tell me about your adventures as a young adult at some point, I have a feeling the word "interesting" won't do it justice. :p
And lol yes on visiting Pompeii......I bet it's the sort of place that once you visit you never completely leave.

Nick Mason, the drummer, is definitely one of a kind and thankfully still with us, Waters and Gilmour too.
Richard Wright, the keyboardist we sadly lost in 2009, and Syd Barrett a founding member RIP 2006.

Weird time....I don't really know how else to describe it...surreal perhaps?
I'm doing pretty good all things considered. The news cycle is mentally toxic so I generally avoid it and find myself reading, listening to music and gardening.

What else is a crazy old guy supposed to do ? o_O

I suppose I could discuss how Pompeii was not prepared for the volcanic disaster, how unaware and lost in our own devices we've become, forgetting how badly a civil war can decimate our world, how ill prepared Europe was for the Bubonic Plague...and on and on....how easily people forget that no civilization lasts forever. The vessels of collapse come in many forms.

But that'd be depressing :)

So instead I find myself listening to more Floyd under a starry sky, sipping a very flavorful 128 proof moonshine and counting my blessings :)

12249645482014.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back