What are your thoughts on chiropractors?

Seen a lot of posts from nurses and doctors of people in the hospital who were paralyzed by chiropractors. The history of the pseudoscience itself is so comical that anyone who believes in it I automatically put in the "idiot" box.

It's bullshit although there might be some literature that it has some benefit for lower back injuries. I wouldn't let people crack my neck though.

I don't believe in them but I do feel like the period I did go to one, it did help. But, the chiro did more than cracking, she also did massage therapy, electrodes, and heat therapy.

Went to a chiropractor a few years ago for stiffness in my neck. I felt like I had increased motion after a couple visits. I remember that i used to crack my own neck for years, but at some point, my neck would no longer crack. The chiropractor busted something loose imo.

qbZVVUR.png

My wife used to go to one and apparently it helped her.

However, I hear a lot of people dismiss them as quacks or junk science. I am not sure chiro would be that popular if it was nonsense, but then again people can get successful selling "energy crystals" so what do I know?

I was watching this Dr. crack people's backs and necks and it looks like it feels good and sounds very ASMRish. I feel like surely doing that has some benefit, no?

On the flipside, I've heard of someone getting paralyzed by a chiro.:eek:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...ed-shepherd-center/KQ3T2KP3GVBSFC6QDXDT75D27Y

I suppose twisting someone's neck or spine in a quick manner is a delicate process!

What are your thoughts on them?

For your troubles:

Guy thats been injured alot checking in.

Chiropractors definitely work BUT you have to go to a legit one and relief comes after consecutive treatments on a weekly basis. Finding legit chiropractors can be tricky but its worthwhile to see chiropractors and Acupuncture helps alot to, so combine it with your adjustment visits.

Trashed my back in a car crash in 2001.. Been to doctors, physiotherapist etc etc etc etc and nothing worked. Found a great Chiro and she did wonders for my back. Lots of quacks in the field though

In my experience the physiotherapist have been the real quacks. 5 different ones all equally useless.

A good and caring chiropractor should be able to alleviate pain to an extent and help get you back to a better standard of living depending on your injury or issue.

This isn't entirely due to the skills of the chiro themselves, the tools at their disposal help immensely.

I herniated my L5 when I was in the Navy. I couldn't walk, sit, stand, or lay down without being in agony. This lasted for weeks until I was given an MRI then scheduled for therapy at a clinic that did chiropractic. Years of therapy with spinal decompression, adjustments, electro stim, and whatever else have seen me rebound to a state of minor discomfort and occasional stiffness or sciatic nerve tingling.

I had read that spinal decompression doesn't do anything for you. IMO, this therapy helped me the most. Will chiropractic care help you? There are too many variables to answer that question. Did it help me? Yes, but it was combined therapy that I received, not only adjustment.

Last edited:
So there’s 2 kinds of injections that I’m educated on.

Epidural, which is like a steroid shot. And a trigger point injection, which is targeting a specific “trigger point”. It’s extremely targeted. And is usually done in large sets of multiple shots.

Injections are an aggressive form of treatment, but it’s less aggressive than say….having a back surgery or going under for more invasive treatments.

It can provide pain relief and really accelerate the healing process for a lot of individuals. I’ve seen a lot of folks who have long term back issues, things like “stacked” (herniation or bulges on several spine levels one after the other) findings gives them some relief when nothing less invasive will.

Injections, from my understanding are the most conservative treatment that’s still aggressive. It’s like that first option a lot of drs turn to because it has a very high success rate while having very low risks.

If your pain is more of a “soreness” or a “ache” as opposed something more serious like radiating pain (radiculopathy) an injection may be viewed as excessive, or too aggressive as most of these types of injuries can heal in 3-4 months with rest or physical therapy, chiropractic etc…

That being said injections can be made all over the place. As you dwelve into areas like knees, shoulders etc….it gets more complicated. But that’s the high level understanding I have.

Thanks but I was wondering more about experiences and why you were skeptical of chiropractors referring people to those doctors

Thanks but I was wondering more about experiences and why you were skeptical of chiropractors referring people to those doctors
Oh. Because I’ve seen people involved in car accidents that are kinda like…0 net impact. Like no force absorbed at all, paint damage only, sometimes the paint even holds and it’s a white skid mark or something that you can wet your thumb or rub off with a cloth.

People show up to a chiropractor, get over diagnosed for a bunch of things a chiropractor is unqualified to diagnose and the get referred to a third party that does MRI’s and injections with little/no actual chiropractic treatment or time.

It’s when they move to fast, or people get diagnosed with 10+ conditions and it’s obvious they’re just trying to hit them with everything they can.

Let me put it this way. Imagine showing up to a Dr and saying something like “I have mild back soreness” and then they send you to a clinic to get X-rays, MRIS, radiographs, ct scans for concussions…..Then they are telling someone that they need to stick large needles in their back and inject a foreign substance.

Like I said in my first post, I think injections are great. But there’s definitely some sketchy chiropractor offices out there.

At some point we have to call it what it is an admit that it’s a bunch of dr’s running up bills. But it’s so case by case and when there’s legitimate injuries you can easily argue that it’s no longer over treatment and it’s just necessary steps to make sure a patient is taken care of.

I went to one twice a week for over a year. Temporarily felt better after each session but he never seemed able to fix the problem.

I stopped going to him after a manipulation caused nerve damage in my hip, and 5+ years after the fact I still have no feeling in the outside of my thigh.

So my verdict is that they are dangerous and you’re taking unnecessary risk by using them.

I went to one twice a week for over a year. Temporarily felt better after each session but he never seemed able to fix the problem.

I stopped going to him after a manipulation caused nerve damage in my hip, and 5+ years after the fact I still have no feeling in the outside of my thigh.

So my verdict is that they are dangerous and you’re taking unnecessary risk by using them.

Damn. Noted.

Back