What are Your Thoughts on the BMF?

I kind of like it tbh. It would be kind of cool to have a grappling one if they typically went like Maia/Shields, but as we know they often become sloppy boxing matches.

I think the gimmick would have been ok as an unofficial title, like "people's champion" or something. Making up a fake belt for it and referencing in the same breath as proper titles is embarrassing

I don't think we need one for every weight class.

But might be a cool thing to have one for 125 to 135, 145 to 155, 170 to 185, and 205 to 265 or something like that.
This, Holloway can cover 145 and 155, him vs a WW might be too much.

Since the title fights cycle are so slow, just make BMF belts for every weight where FOTN fighters duke it for a bigger pay and 5 rounds. I dont give a fuck now, im kinda done with hoping the UFC goes for the true sport dynamics, they should incentizive action fights more
Nope. That’s dumb. They are IN THE UFC. That’s the incentive they need. If they need more than that I want them CUT

I think the gimmick would have been ok as an unofficial title, like "people's champion" or something. Making up a fake belt for it and referencing in the same breath as proper titles is embarrassing
I mean they don't. It's not listed beside the holder in the rankings like the official and interim titles are.

It exists only when there's a BMF fight happening.

I personally don't mind it. The matchups so far have been good although the idea of defending the belt is a little lame.

When Buffer did his intro saying "The reigning, defending, undisputed BMF champ" it made me cringe a little.

Being a BMF is subjective so the whole idea of being a defending champ against curated opponents is a little weird.

IMO The BMF belts should just be something you fight for and "accumulate" Like trophies. Not "defend" if that makes any sense.

The BMF idea isn't bad but it should probably be a once a year thing. Hopefully they don't start throwing it in every other PPV.

What are your overall thoughts on it? Anything you would do differently now that it's here to stay?

I think the belt holder gets PPV points. So it's actually become a fair way to compensate HoFers like Gaethje and Holloway, who are much better than everyone outside of the top 3 but just can't beat the belt holders.

I kind of like it tbh. It would be kind of cool to have a grappling one if they typically went like Maia/Shields, but as we know they often become sloppy boxing matches.
I'd be okay with the occasional explicitly labelled grappling focused match where you put two great grapplers together to show it off. Shields/Maia was great as they actually wanted to pit their AJJ vs BJJ and see who'd win there, not who could win by avoiding each other's strengths entirely.

But yeah, you'd want at least some kinda hybrid rules favouring grappling to ensure they don't devolve into sloppy standup fights. Like maybe strikes are allowed on the ground sure, but on the feet make it like basketball's travelling rule where you only get a certain amount of time/strikes before you have to attempt to get it to the ground.

Cause there's no way in fuck I'm watching a straight grappling match in the middle of an MMA card.

I think the belt holder gets PPV points. So it's actually become a fair way to compensate HoFers like Gaethje and Holloway, who are much better than everyone outside of the top 3 but just can't beat the belt holders.
Sure, but guys like Max and Justin also should've been in title fights anyways instead of fighting each other. Both of them had title shots in their own divisions. So they would've already been being paid more regardless just from the increased pay for title fights + had a chance for the real belt if they hadn't fought each other. Now Justin's taking a step back from both those things. He lost his BMF belt AND his LW title shot.

Which is my one real problem with how they've been currently handling it: they use it on contenders to up the value of their fight. They don't want to just label fights #1 contender fights anymore, and they could just make fights 5 rounds any time now. They're using the BMF instead.

In a way it would be better if they actually were taking guys who couldn't get to the belt but matched up fun. Especially cross divisionally / catchweight to limit the impacts of the fight on their divisional standings. Having two contenders fight for it is kinda weird, especially yes in a situation where they probably can't be the actual "BMF" of their division.

Retarded. Made for under 90 IQs to do their just bleed cringe reactions.

Sure, but guys like Max and Justin also should've been in title fights anyways instead of fighting each other. Both of them had title shots in their own divisions. So they would've already been being paid more regardless just from the increased pay for title fights + had a chance for the real belt if they hadn't fought each other. Now Justin's taking a step back from both those things. He lost his BMF belt AND his LW title shot.

Which is my one real problem with how they've been currently handling it: they use it on contenders to up the value of their fight. They don't want to just label fights #1 contender fights anymore, and they could just make fights 5 rounds any time now. They're using the BMF instead.

In a way it would be better if they actually were taking guys who couldn't get to the belt but matched up fun. Especially cross divisionally / catchweight to limit the impacts of the fight on their divisional standings. Having two contenders fight for it is kinda weird, especially yes in a situation where they probably can't be the actual "BMF" of their division.

I don't think challengers get PPV points anymore. Only the belt holders.

It's a dumb gimmick, but it all but guarantees a good fight because instead of just fighting to win, it's basically saying these two dudes are gonna stand and brawl, not point fight.

Tempura putting value on it as champion kills the whole idea of it.

Why not? Boxing has a ton of champions. So much I literally can't keep up or tell you what the most important one is. This would certainly add to the appeal of some fights. Especially those that are headlined by a guy that only had one or two good showings in the UFC. Even a lot of hardcores need to see a guy two + times to remember him, these days. I think like a Nicest MF would be fun, instead of another bmf, but same idea.

But since the consensus seems to hate this idea, why not make everyone happy and make all co-main events 5 rounds? That could certainly add to the appeal of some fights, too.

Big fights is a problem to you?
Adding a BMF belt to every weight class doesn't change the potential for big fights, whatsoever.

Same exact fighters still in the class, those level fights don't need a gimmick belt to sell.

Continental titles & World (weight) titles.

<WellThere>

Sounds like marketable superfights to me the only problem being that it unify the belts
How does adding a class specific BMF belt alter what figures are available at that class, at all?

It adds a gimmick, but no other value that isn't already there. Same fighters in that class either way.

Back